Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
quiet to very quiet globular flute
Topic Started: 12 Jan 2018, 05:37 PM (351 Views)
acox
Andy Cox
attached are the latest trials of making and playing quiet globular flutes, ocarina or closed tubular flutes---there is no attempt to debate whether they are ocarinas or not---each has the exterior wind channel.

this type of windway and window has been a point of discussion with Ross, Georgio and others.The very well-known design allows for very fine adjustments; it takes hours of playing to find and make the final adjustment. the "square" window may be a much better choice.

The final form is played with the breath pressure of an alto and tenor recorder. The volume acceptable--almost and at times equal to the tenor recorder. If one places the plastic tongue in the window, the volume can be played in any room without disturbing others.

the attachment is of two bamboo and two pvc models of alto (f) and tenor (C). The altos require a constant breath; the tenors, a slight increase on the last couple of notes. I will add the 10th fingerhole on those not now having one.

Attached to this post:
Attachments: altos_and_tenors.jpg (123.01 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Whynaut
Inline Ocarinist x 3
They are quite nice!

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

As far as I can see, I lean on the side of saying they are technically "ocarinas", simply with an unconventional shape.
They're not too different from Inline ocarinas like those of Mountain ocarinas and Hind ocarinas right?

Hind also makes similar close-ended tubular ocarinas that appear to be a hybrid between recorder and ocarina.

acox
Andy Cox
Yes, many craftspersons make these instruments. The reason for my interest is that one can spend as long as they wish with the final voicing of the instrument. Even if clay eventually dries, this form can and has been made from it.. Several examples were extruded and sold, but the bamboo's timbre is so very warm compared to clay or pvc.

I would like to add that for some reason consistent blowing pressure is flat compared to the traditional ocarina I have tried. Also, these are designed for mid-school children to make and play in ensemble. Anyone can make one in a few hours.

BlueNote
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
Very interesting ocarinas!

acox
Andy Cox
Check out the British Bamboo Pipers Guild. They are now making bass closed tubular flutes.

Whynaut
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Got a link for that acox?

acox
Andy Cox
scroll to the British and Duitch link

https://www.flutes-de-bambou.com/guildes-%C3%A9trang%C3%A8res/

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Ocarina Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ