Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Black Clay and 'Focalinkish' Ocarinas; No Makers?
Topic Started: 6 Jan 2018, 05:25 AM (221 Views)
Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Hi! :)

I have found this auction on eBay about a black clay Soprano C ocarina, Black Clay.

Apparently, the eBay seller sells also other models in black clay, and also models that seem straw-fired like the Focalink (Stein) ones, but that are not Focalink, Link (what is their brand?).

The black clay ocarinas appear unbranded, while the Focalink-like ocarinas have a stamp or a seal, but I am not able to read it.

I am very sorry for my nescience, but

1) what is the black clay? I mean, is it a 'special' clay like the purple clay or is it simply a 'black' clay?

2) Who is the Maker (or who are the Makers) of these ocarinas, does somebody know that?

3) What kind of ocarinas are they (both the black clay ones and the Focalink-like ones)?

4) Is there the possibility they are quality ocarinas?

Thank you and greetings! :)
Edited by Tennyson, 6 Jan 2018, 05:26 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

1. There is nothing inherently special about any clay, as long as it is appropriate for crafting ocarinas. There is no such thing as "black clay" - this is simply clay that has been finished to appear black through a smoking process.
The listing actually says "Note:It is smoked burn, so the ocarina's color is not the same, thanks for your understanding!"

2. There are hundreds of generic Chinese ocarinas on eBay from no specifically stated maker. This appears to be a typical mass produced cheap ocarina - some are ok, some aren't. Hit or miss quality - buy at your own risk.

3. Focalink is a well known brand that maintains strict quality control. It is my understanding that there are many makers who work for Focalink, and a product will only be branded "Focalink" (or "Stein") if it meets their quality standards and they are happy to add it to their product line.

At the same time, there are lots of knock-off generic ocarinas made in China now, as they see a market for it.
There is nothing special about them - and quality control is not as reliable as Focalink - since they are unbranded, so they have no obligation to maintain quality standards.

4. Sometimes these generic ocarinas are OK quality, and sometimes they are not.
From looking at the photos, I predict it to be a mediocre quality 12-hole - personally not one I'd spend money on. For around the same price, you can get ocarinas that have better reputations like Luna Celta, ICO and Bon.

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Thank you very much!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ