Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. ē
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sauna Ocarinas; From Helsinki, Finland!
Topic Started: 1 Jan 2018, 11:51 PM (484 Views)
Whynaut
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Browsing the Ocarina hashtag on Instagram I came across Sauna Ocarinas

Heís a maker in Helsinki Finland. They seem to be reasonably priced, although it seems that he is just starting out. He makes no guarantee that the instruments play in tune with other instruments.

Iím personally a huge fan of the shapes.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Whynaut
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Just ordered a bass 12 C. Couldnít resist the price.

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Yeah they looked interesting but I'm not going to buy one until they are in tune

Whynaut
Inline Ocarinist x 3
I listened to a recording of him playing one and it seemed to be mostly in tune to me. Iíll post more when I receive the instrument.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
I believe they are in-tune to themselves, but not quite tuned to concert pitch.

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

I found the website some time ago (it should be this, Sauna), and it looks quite interesting. :)

The 'shape' is beautiful, in my opinion, and they seem also quite 'solid'.

However, as TheZ highlighted, the current Sauna ocarinas could be in tune with themselves, but not 'concert-tuned'.

That, despite the good price, is a quite 'strong' limit.

I am looking forward, Whynaut, to have your opinions and, perhaps, one or some sound samples, when you'll get the ocarina. :)

Whynaut
Inline Ocarinist x 3
My Sauna arrived today! With a very kind letter from Toni stating that I was his first online customer!

First impressions: the instrument is very beautiful. Feels quite thin in the hands considering the size. Itíll take me a while to learn the spacing. The ocarina came with a beautiful and soft case and uses what looks like a cut sauna towel as a necklace.

About the tuning: it sits comfortably about a Db with a very low breath curve. I will need to sit on that for a while. It is very easy to over blow.

Perhaps the best feature is the sound. Very soft, warm and wooden. Unlike any ocarina sound Iíve heard before.

When Iím home again Iíll post a picture.

End result: it was worth buying and with some time and practice I hope Iíll be very good with it!

Whynaut
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Here's the picture!. Sorry it took so long!

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Thank you very much for the update! :)

The ocarina looks beautiful.

It is a pity it is not concert pitch tuned.

However, I am quite sure that with a little bit of work the next models will be tuned properly.

Very beautiful instrument, indeed, congratulations for having got it and for being the first customer! :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · European Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter ē Facebook | Read the FAQ