Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Samick Ocarina (Clay) Soprano F; Is it a quality ocarina?
Topic Started: 4 Nov 2017, 05:26 AM (587 Views)
Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Hi! :)

Sorry to disturb you.

It is a while I see online, for example on Amazon, an apparently 'new' model of Samick Ocarina, clay, Soprano F (below, two related pictures).

As far as I knew, Samick was producing plastic ocarinas, but I did not know about clay models (I do not know much about Samick as a brand, to tell the truth).

This Soprano F seems the only 'widespread' model in clay they produce.

Do you know something about it and about Samick in general?

The Samick Soprano F ocarina is priced around 100 USD.

Is it a quality ocarina?

Is any information available?

Thank you very much

Greetings! :)

Spoiler: click to toggle

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist
Just a quick update. :)

I got a Samick Soprano F ocarina, apricot color.

Well, it is nice, beautiful finish, a little bit 'asymmetric' in its shape.

Below, some not so beautiful pictures.

It comes with a nice bag, in an artistic, 'shining' box.

It seems that Samick produces all kind of ocarinas, in all the keys. However, it is not easy to find them online, apart for some plastic models and this clay Soprano F.

On the 'catalogue' included in the box, Samick, as a brand, is called Syrinx, but it is evident that they are the same brand.

Some Samick Soprano C models are very interesting, but I do not know where to find them.

The ocarina comes also with a necklace. However, the ring for the necklace, on my ocarina, is rusty.

As far as the sound, big disappointment.

It is a soprano F ocarina, but it is very airy (too much) in the 'high' notes, starting already from the high D. No way to be able to find a solution to the issue, even changing the posture and applying a strict breath control. Sometimes, from high D to high F, the ocarina produces also a sort of 'buzz'.

It is a pity, since it is a cute ocarina, but the quality of the sound and the tone are not the best. I have tried to become used to the instrument and to apply all kind of possible 'technicalities' to improve the 'performance', but there is no way, at least apparently.

It is possible it is my model. I mean, let's say I get another one and I discover the other one is not airy at all and works wonderfully, but, at the moment, my Samick ocarina is a little bit below the standard for a 'true', effective ocarina (perhaps not worth of 90 USD, EMS international expedited shipping included).

Ok, just an update, as told.

Greetings. :)

Edited by Tennyson, 15 Nov 2017, 07:53 AM.

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Thanks for your note! :)

I am not sure about Syrinx, since on the 'catalogue' I received with the ocarina the wirting system / language used is Korean and not Japanese (but it could be just because those ocarinas are for the Korean market and not 'original' from Korea).

Yes, as told, the ocarina is a little bit disappointing and it would be necessary to get another one, almost 'identical', to make a comparison and to understand if it is my ocarina or if it is the model itself.

As mentioned, it would be interesting to evaluate also other keys of the Samick ocarinas, but they seem quite difficult to be 'found'.

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Just a quick update. :)

For the sake of Science :D , my wife and I have got another Samick Soprano F ocarina, almost 'identical' to the one ("Apricot" color) we had already. Only the color is different ("Jade Green").

Unfortunately, it was not our other ocarina the 'problematic' one.

The green one is, if possible, more 'problematic' than the apricot one.

Terribly airy on the high notes (it is quite 'weird', for a Soprano F), with a disturbing buzz that annihilates all attempts to play nicely also a simple melody.

I have tried all kind of 'tricks' in order to make the ocarina play better. In vain.

I think, at this point, it is a problem of this Samick Soprano F ocarinas themselves (or their peculiar style?).

We'll not get a third one :D , but two ocarinas out of two resulting 'defective' or, at least, way below average, are almost an evidence that something does not work.

It is a pity, since the ocarinas look good, come with a nice pouch and a necklace, a beautiful box, and are ergonomically not bad.

However, the only important factor in a musical instrument is that it sounds well and the two Samick Soprano F ocarinas we have, unfortunately, are not good at all.

I would be keen on trying a Soprano C model (it seems it has Japanese sub-holes), but I have been unable to find it.

I have found only 1 Alto C (with Japanese sub-holes, while the sub-holes in the Soprano F models are in Taiwanese style), but I would not go for it.

Here is the link, 'Terracotta' Samick Ocarina Alto C, it is way less expensive than the Soprano F.

It seems there is also an Alto F model, again almost impossible to be found.

Below, some additional pictures.

Hope it helps in giving an unbiased and comprehensive information.

Greetings. :)

Edited by Tennyson, 30 Nov 2017, 05:12 AM.

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Hi! :)

Unfortunately, I have not tools to record (effectively) a sound sample, apart for my phone (maybe), I am very sorry.

@ Ocypode

Indeed, I do all these 'experiments' as a service to Science :D :D !

By the way, yes, Samick is a Korean brand.

I have checked the website of Samick (Musical Instruments), Samick, and it seems they do not produce anymore ocarinas, even if their ocarinas are for sale online, still, especially in South Korea (like, for example, here, Link).

Edited by Tennyson, 1 Dec 2017, 05:22 AM.

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

Yes! :)

They are, in a way, similar to the Aketa ocarinas.

However, having them in my hands, I can tell they are different, in consistency and in tactile sensation.

I can compare them, in any case, with my Aketa Soprano C and with my Yamaha Soprano C (that is exactly an Aketa Soprano C, just with a 'Yamaha label'), both 13 holes. At the moment, I do not own an Aketa Soprano F (or a Yamaha Soprano F), so I cannot make a very punctual comparison.

It is possible the 'Samicks' are inspired to the 'Aketas'.

As far as the mouthpiece, it is true, it is really similar to the mouthpiece of some European ocarinas (mainly Italian and German).

My Aketa Soprano C ocarina (13 holes) has its 'typical' buzz. However, it is not comparable with the annoying buzz of the Samick ocarinas. Curiously, my Yamaha Soprano C ocarina (that is exacly the same as my Aketa) does not have any buzz. They are both "RT (1C)" models.

If I'll be able to get an Aketa Soprano F (or a Yamaha Soprano F) ocarina, I'll be glad to make a more accurate comparison.

Thank you very much for your kind remark.

Below, some pictures of my Aketa and Yamaha ocarinas, plus a picture of an Aketa Soprano F ocarina from the Internet.

I am still looking for a Samick Soprano C ocarina, but it seems I am unable to get it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ