Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Worlds Strongest Sweet Potato Ocarina; .25" thick aluminum
Topic Started: 10 Oct 2017, 12:51 PM (1,098 Views)
SecristOcarina
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
I'm working to design a new kind of ocarina. At first, I wanted to make high quality aluminum ocarinas. Well, I just finished a prototype of it and attached some pictures. I designed the ocarina in CAD. I'm just sharing this here for fun, as it will likely be the only aluminum ocarina I ever make. I'm shifting to all digital ocarina development.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Oc1.jpg (132.24 KB)
Attachments: Oc2.jpg (80.19 KB)
Attachments: oc3.jpg (58.45 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

wAllop1
Member Avatar
Professional novice
That's actually really cool! I don't think I've ever heard of an ocarina being made of aluminum before. Have you possibly considered anodizing it once it's been completed?

SecristOcarina
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
I've never seen a well machined metal sweet potato ocarina before. The one or two I've seen lacked aesthetic appeal. I'd considered all sorts of finishes, but at this point, after I get this one bolted together, I'll make a half hearted attempt to polish it. My primary focus for now is on my digital ocarina development.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
That's really neat! The important question: how does it sound? :)

.... (and would you sell it? XD)

mandrew
Member Avatar
Devout seeker of perfection
Interesting . . . would look good anodized in various colors, or clear coated.

Dog
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
Oops, had to edit this.
Edited by Dog, 10 Oct 2017, 05:56 PM.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
That's neat! I've only seen metal ocarinas that are either very small like a necklace, or very old. I imagine it would have a different kind of sound.

SecristOcarina
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
I'm going to be polishing this one up for a crowdfunding campaign. My goal is to offer high quality aluminum ocarinas with a variety of customization options. TON will be the first to hear about it once I've got a launch date planned.

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
Be sure to include plenty of sound samples!
By the way, in what key is this ocarina?

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
wAllop1
10 Oct 2017, 02:23 PM
That's actually really cool! I don't think I've ever heard of an ocarina being made of aluminum before. Have you possibly considered anodizing it once it's been completed?
Actually Mountain Ocarinas made some aluminum ocarinas for a while.

wAllop1
Member Avatar
Professional novice
Harp Player
12 Oct 2017, 07:33 AM
Do you know why they stopped?

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
They are focusing on the development of their new product, the Coda - which is, as far as I understand, a double ocarina of the MO kind, and is almost ready:

http://www.mountainsocarina.com/b/products/

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
This is really cool! I agree with wAllop1 and mandrew, this would look amazing heat anodized

SecristOcarina
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Quote:

in what key is this ocarina?

I'm aiming for an alto C, and getting quite close!

Quote:

Although this is true, their offering was not a transverse ocarina. I've not seen another metal ocarina like mine before, and it was that lack that inspired me to create one!

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

That's cool! How does it sound?

I have the aluminum one made by Mountain Ocarina.

Posted Image

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
Other difference: the MO inside is plastic. This will probably affect the condensation rate in the windway.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Ocypode
14 Oct 2017, 12:54 AM
Other difference: the MO inside is plastic. This will probably affect the condensation rate in the windway.
Only the top of it is plastic, at least that is the way my warmstone MO is.

SecristOcarina
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
I'm planning to have a dessicant in the airway

SecristOcarina
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Almost ready for my indiegogo campaign! I'm aiming for a mirror finish. As it stands right now, I'm really surprised that it is not at all prone to smudging, even less than my Hind ocarina. I'll have a video with how it sounds on my indiegogo campaign page, which I'll post a link to here when it's ready. There will be several changes for my final model, as this was just the first prototype.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: rps20171015_073036.jpg (52.64 KB)
Attachments: rps20171015_073148.jpg (65.59 KB)
Attachments: rps20171015_073121.jpg (78.64 KB)
Edited by SecristOcarina, 15 Oct 2017, 12:42 PM.

Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Wow, looks really good. You also printed your ocarina with a 3D printer? My plastic cases for my Electronic Ocarina is also self-modeled. 😀

SecristOcarina
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Dirk Ocarina
15 Oct 2017, 01:02 PM
Wow, looks really good. You also printed your ocarina with a 3D printer? My plastic cases for my Electronic Ocarina is also self-modeled. 😀
I didn't 3D print this one. From the start I wanted aluminum. Eventually I will make my digital ocarina in plastic, but it will be injection molded in optical grade polycarbonate and have no vessel flute function. It will be exclusively digital and capable of playing silently with headphones, as well as capable of teaching you how to play.

But I'm starting with aluminum, and if my indiegogo is successful, I will immediately begin development of the world's first, high quality simulation digital ocarina. Those prototypes will likely be milled in ABS or HDPE for testing and mold making purposes.

But I'll have all sorts of additional information on my campaign page.

maximtomato
Member Avatar
is bad at playing ocarina
That's very cool, thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to future updates.

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
A desiccant in the windway? Don't you fear it will be saturated really quickly?
Also, it might be hazardous for the health for those who sometimes swallow the moisture and saliva (yuck) in the windway.

SecristOcarina
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
there is no safety concern. I'll be using a hygroscopic plastic insert, such as ABS, like MO aluminum inline ocarinas, except the plastic piece will be smaller and not visible from the exterior.

Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
"Teaching you how to play"?

With lights on each hole? I think this works on an electric piano because you can see all keys.
But with an ocarina you always have to look around which hole to press and which not.
So for every note of your song you have to check 12 holes. On an ePiano you only have to press 1 key for 1 note.
IMHO i don't think this system will work on an electric ocarina.

Hopefully you don't mean it this way. 😉
Love your project nevertheless. 😍

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
In regard to using lights to teach songs, I agree that it's not really possible to make a hole light up unless there was a string of some kind of glowing material around it. I do like how the Songbird Sol works because I find it easier to associate colours with notes rather than trying to read traditional tabs.

The ocarina itself looks great and I like how the subholes are done!

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
There are no problems with the holes, because in the case of the electric ocarina, they are not real holes, just contacts. So they can be replaced by a small notch with an LED inside and electric contact(s) around it.
It is totally different from amplified "electric instruments" such as violin and guitars.

SecristOcarina
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
I've got a pretty detailed mock up of how it's going to work once I have the financial backing for some programming and development.

Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Yes i know its possible. But how to use this for teaching? The Songbird Sol has one color for one note. That would be ok. But one light for every hole to learn the fingering would be impractical IMHO.

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
The light could mean "cover the holes with the light on" to play the note.

I'd like to see this project - or yours Dirk - come to fruition.

Although, to be honest, my interest is mainly as a spectator.

Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Yes but that would not be practical like i wrote.

"With lights on each hole? I think this works on an electric piano because you can see all keys.
But with an ocarina you always have to look around which hole to press and which not.
So for every note of your song you have to check 12 holes. On an ePiano you only have to press 1 key for 1 note.
IMHO i don't think this system will work on an electric ocarina."

We will see. Its getting interesting. ☺

I became a father last week so my progress will slow down 😀 But i am still working on it. Maybe i make my midi version right as a double chamber ocarina and you can switch between fingerings.

SecristOcarina
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
My digital ocarina will have several lights for each hole, actually. I have devised a means of making the instructions visible to the player. Additionally, players will be able to upload their own songs to the ocarina so they can learn whatever they want, or produce their own tutorials for others to play. I've also got a game in development for it. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to make it exclusively digital, or easily converted into a functional traditional ocarina.

As far as the aluminum ocarina, I'm waiting for funding to produce a second prototype. My current design will allow for a lot of customization, easily swap between voicings, customize tone hole location to your liking, with some other features in development. I've seen some good efforts at advancing the ocarina, and I'm interested in the MO Coda, but I'm fairly confident my designs are to current ocarinas as my smartphone is to a rotary phone.
Dirk Ocarina
18 Oct 2017, 12:56 PM
I became a father last week
And congrats, by the way! Boy or girl?
Edited by SecristOcarina, 18 Oct 2017, 07:19 PM.

Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
1. A game sounds funny.
2. Customization would be perfect.
3. I love your confidence.
4. A boy called Til 😊

SecristOcarina
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
It sounds funny, but changing the perspective from practice to play makes continuing to learn more appealing. The game will be nixed if development as I intend is more costly than I anticipate. The digital ocarina is moving to the backburner for a while as I focus on development of my indiegogo campaign.

And I don't know about you, but my first was a boy also, and I couldn't have been happier :D
And thank you, regarding confidence, but it's really a function of hope. The more evidence you have that your hopes can be achieved, the more confident you become in your hopes being realized. At this point, I'm very close to having a viable ocarina making business. My excitement and enthusiasm haven't waned over the past several months and have only grown since I began.

This indiegogo campaign is an initial effort, not all-or-nothing. Funded or not, I'm pursuing a dream. A single opportunity is all it takes to keep me going, and no amount of "failure" is going to convince me that I cannot succeed in this venture.
Edited by SecristOcarina, 20 Oct 2017, 05:33 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Ocarina Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ