Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Electronic Midi Ocarina; On my way to an "ocarduina"
Topic Started: 2 Oct 2017, 04:23 PM (816 Views)
Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Hi at all,

i am Dirk from germany and working on an electronic ocarina.
It all started with this topic:
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/6756228/1/

My first version is already playable, but uses only frequencies.

Here a little intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ4d_mxdAqM

And here a little zelda song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxq1gSxUrpE

But now i am working on a midi version, like the "ocarduina", see this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Qe2BylMhA

I have a few ideas but need your help and feedback. So please tell me what you think about.

1. problem "instruments"
I would like to switch the instrument, but which instruments to choose? What would you like to play on your ocarina? Tuba, saxophon, piano, guitar, harpsi, drums, ...?

2. problem "octaves"
I would like to switch the octave, but from where to where?

3. problem "pitches"
I would like to switch the pitch, but which one to choose? All?
I think thats not necessary.

4. problem "volume"
I would like to change the volume, but how. i dont like an extra rotating wheel, so maybe in steps?

5. problem "chords"
I would like to play chords, but again how? i thought about playing a "c" will play a c-major chord, "cis" a cis-major chord and so on, but what will be with the minor chords?

6. problem "modus"
I would like to have some extras. Maybe an "Perfect Ear Training"? It plays random notes/chord from your actual settings and you have to repeat them. Maybe an "Loopmodus"? You can select a time signature and how many times and then play along and have fun :) ok i haven't thought about it very long. Maybe an "Demomodus" with some demosongs like on every "digital piano". But again, which songs and how many to choose?

7. problem "menu navigation"
as you see in all the problems above i would like to have some configurations, but how to navigate without to many buttons or without an extra lcd display. Maybe with 2 LEDs to know where you are and what you have selected?

By now i think about a menu like the following:

3 Buttons:
Button 1 labeled "M" switching between the menu.
Button 2 labeled "-" switching one element back.
Button 3 labeled "+" switching one element forward.

2 LEDs:
1 for "M" like: instrument-red, octave-green,...
1 for "-/+" like: 1. red, 2. green, ...

Menunavigation
M-/+
off-
instrument1. ocarina, 2. tuba, ..., 8. drums
octave1. -3, 2. -2, 3. -1, 4. standard, 5. +1, 6. +2, 7. +3
pitch1. c, 2. d, ..., 6. a, 7. b
volume1. 20, 2. 40, ..., 5. 100, 6. 120 (midi goes from 0-127)
chords1. off, 2. on
modus1. normal, 2. perfect ear training, 3. looping, 4. demo

8. problem "articulation"
I think this is the trickiest part. It has to sound like a real ocarina or maybe near one.
what do you think is necessary and maybe you have ideas how to manage this with a little pressure sensor, capacitivity sensor from adafruit and midi magic?

"ocarduina" made it really good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwTeDGsEqCI

9. problem "production"
ok if i am really finished with this project than i will be very happy, but whats with you all out there?
also i am only an amateur craftsman without the time to make it perfect.
So i would really like to see this idea produced by a company.
The main advantage is that you can play every pitch and octave in one single ocarina and everywhere you like to everytime you like, because it needs no external devices and you can switch to headphones.
Do you have contact to companies who would think about an electric ocarina?

As i wrote it in another topic the cost for this midi version would be around 90 dollars. But from a company i would be willing to pay up to 150-200 dollars if it is well produced.

So wow that was a lot of work to write this down, but i hope it is a little bit clear what i intend to do.
I hope you have a lot of questions, make suggestions or have ideas on how i can manage all the problems above.

Thanks alot in advance.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mystic_Ocarina
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I send you a Private Message ;)

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
About assembly, perhaps some people would be interested by building their own electric ocarina. Either as kit, or by purchasing all parts themselves and following an on-line guide.

I could be interested... Yet, not in the near future... I've already way too many projects that require my attention...

SecristOcarina
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Sent you a PM :)
Nevermind, I couldn't. I can't seem to do anything here except post replies. While it may do well to keep bots at bay, I do hope it's a hindrance I'll soon be rid of.
Edited by SecristOcarina, 3 Oct 2017, 12:01 PM.

Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Hi SecristOcarina,
i know you have to post a little before you are automatically activated to send PMs.
But if you want to write me something private, here is my email: tomaten-saft@web.de

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
This is a really wonderful idea! I'd love to have one someday when I have the money for it.

1. Instruments: Would it be possible to load our own instruments onto it somehow (maybe via micro USB)? Not only could we choose our own instruments (like flute or piano or others), but we would also be able to choose ocarinas with different sound characteristics (such as a pure tone VS a chiffy tone). I understand this would probably be difficult and require some sort of PC app to do.

2 & 3 Octave & Pitch: It would be cool to be able to custom set these, that way it would make playing different scales easier. I personally play mostly Middle Eastern music, so being able to choose a scale more suited to that would be super helpful :)

4. Volume: Maybe a slider? Or a rocker switch like on phones?

Would it be rechargeable? Being able to hook it up to an amp for performances would be pretty cool, as well.

I wish you good luck on this project!

Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Hi h_s,

1. yeah you are right that would need something like a raspberry pi and that is not what i intended to build. I went in that direction for a long time but it is really complicated. ☺
So i would give a preset of instruments to choose, but which ones?

2.3. you will be able of choosing the octave. the pitch maybe also with a set of presets. But again which ones?

Yeah it is already rechargeable and with the headphonejack you can easily plug it in an amplifier. 😁

But thank you for your feedback.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
When it comes to octave shifts, most synthesizers have a button that can be pressed to go up and down. I'm not sure how or where a button like that would fit on an ocarina. I guess it could be similar to those ocarinas that have an extra keyed hole that changes the key of the instrument.

Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
One button for 2 directions? How should this work?

Bluegrass ocarina
Member Avatar
Lazy Ocarinist
A very interesting idea. Keep us updated I'd love to see were you go with this project.

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
For the change of pitch, one button could work; you would just have to make it rises the pitch up to a certain point at which it would return to the lowest value... But that would be terribly boring to do. So two buttons or a control wheel seem to be a better idea.

In all cases, I suppose a display showing the value of the fundamental note would really be useful.

Another option would be to be able to set the profile by computer. Either by tethering the ocarina, or by loading configuration / soundfronts on a memory stick.

One thing is sure, that's an ambitious project.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
The one button option would be that when it is pressed, a light would come on, or even if it was held down, it would shift the range up, and when it was either pressed again (turning the light off or a different colour) or let go, it returns to the original.

Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
@Kitten Forest: But i think we all want to have more than 2 pitches ;)

@Ocypode: At first i would try to navigate with colors and a the selected feedbacktone. because if i add an additional lcd display then i get space problems inside of the printed ocarina. And i dont want to make it bigger, because thats an unreal feeling when played. Even now. Loading configurations / soundfronts on a memory stick and use them with the arduino is beyond my possibilities. That would be possible with a raspberry but also not with me ;)

One of the main questions is: Which pitches do we need?

Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Hello,

i have a little update for my project.
i am in the modelling phase with "autodesk fusion 360".
i hate it because its so time consuming :(

but all electronic parts are ready to build in and i am so excited ;)

check the photos for a greater anticipation :)

Posted Image
Posted Image
picload

Posted Image
Posted Image
picload

Edited by Dirk Ocarina, 27 Nov 2017, 09:13 AM.

Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Hello at all,

i finally made it and finished my midi ocarina project :)

So i proudly present:

The worlds most awesome

Democarina - Double electronic midi ocarina

Please share and thanks for your kind support :)

Mystic_Ocarina
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Dirk Ocarina
16 Apr 2018, 07:58 PM
Hello at all,

i finally made it and finished my midi ocarina project :)

So i proudly present:

The worlds most awesome

Democarina - Double electronic midi ocarina

Please share and thanks for your kind support :)
Shut up and take my money!!! XD
Would ask if if has same fingering thar regular double?

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
This is quite impressive!
Does it modulate pitch with breath pressure?

Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Hi Mystic_Ocarina,

i am not that familiar with the names of the different fingerings.
is there an overview somewhere?

but at the moment there are 2 different fingering implemented and switchable. (because i own them and have the original fingering charts)

1. takashi double
2. focalink 12-Hole plastic

yes you read right. i can switch between single and double ocarina :)
Hi Ocypode,

at the moment i modulate the volume with the breath pressure.

Have to test if the midi files react to the pitch bend command.
If it went well then i will switch to the modulation of the pitch with my breath pressure.

Thanks for your interest :)
Edited by Dirk Ocarina, 17 Apr 2018, 11:33 AM.

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
Hi Dirk Ocarina,

I'm not a professional ocarinist at all, but I think that the breath pressure should influence both pitch and volume simultaneously, if you want to emulate a true ocarina that is.

Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Hi Ocypode,

yeah i think your right. But thats no problem to implement.
Will try it out and my next video will show some of the features.

Stay tuned and thanks again :)

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
That is the coolest thing I have seen today

Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Thank you Kae :)
But wait till the day is over, maybe there are other cool things you will see XD

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
The day has officially ended. Still the coolest thing! xD

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I'd still like to hear it with more of a flute sound, but I really like that! So many new possibilites, kind of like the AKAI EWI series, which I have tried, but I prefer ocarina fingering.

Dirk Ocarina
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Thanks Kae! C:

Hi Kitten Forest,

thats no problem. At the moment i have only midi nr. = 80 ocarina, but could easily switch to other instruments.
For example flute = 74.

check a list with all possible instruments here:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI

Other instruments you want to hear?
I can show how they sound in my next video :)

Thanks for your interest.

eduardopadros
Beginner
I am very interested in buying a unit of the ocarduina MIDI instrument, from whoever can make it. Please tell me how to proceed, and how much money would it cost.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina Making · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ