Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Why is registering here such a struggle?
Topic Started: 1 Oct 2017, 12:08 PM (1,103 Views)
raphael
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
I finally did my "5 postings before I can create threads".
I didn't know what was happening after registering here. Everywhere I clicked, I got an error code. Not even a proper message explaining what is going on.

I'm working as a software engineer myself. Usability and User Experience are some of my topics. In my opinion, this could fend of a lot of people that want to join here, while the community, that managed to get through all of that, is probably becoming smaller and smaller.

Why is it so difficult to join? Were there spamming problems before? And if there were: Spammers can still join and copy&paste their stuff in all the existing threads, which is even more profitable, since a lot of people will have email-notifications turned on.

You can check my 5 postings I already did. They are sadly pure garbage, but I needed to do that to even edit my profile or to create a thread. Usually, a user comes here, because he has questions and not to do 5 random postings, annoying everyone that subscribed to the related topic. This should never be a requirement to start acting here, imho.

Please don't understand this wrong. I'm not angry or anything, I'm just a dude that joined and though that my few sentences here could maybe help someone else. I don't like being a guy that nobody knows, just joins and first starts off with critique.

I wish you guys a nice sunday. :)

Greetings
Raphael
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Yeah, we did have a major spam problem a few years ago. I didn't realize new users are having such difficulties.

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
I think that the main issue here is perhaps that new users do not understand why it is happening.
It is true that an error code is not terribly informative if you don't know what it means.

For info, here is a relevant post:
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/8010372/1/

(PS: with this message, I have the badge double ocarinist... I never even held a double ocarina, ever :) )
Edited by Ocypode, 1 Oct 2017, 05:56 PM.

Acorns
Pendant Ocarinist
I agree with OP, the 5 post thing is pretty annoying.

raphael
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
Ocypode
1 Oct 2017, 05:55 PM

(PS: with this message, I have the badge double ocarinist... I never even held a double ocarina, ever :) )

LOL :D
Don't worry, I know how those "ranks" work. :) I've been a forumer for decades.

I think, the main issue is the wrong actions that were taken (not meant offensive, just my opinion). To protect from spammers, a delay for each created thread or a delay from registering to first posting would bring help. But not letting the user edit his profile, or not letting him create threads, without any message what's going on, is a big issue imho. Forcing the user to create 5 posts before creating a thread will lead to garbage posts like I wrote. :/ Probably made some probably angry by diging out old threads where I thought I could possibly add something.

Greetings :)
Raphael

DerBlocki
Pendant Ocarinist
Same for me...

Nafaei
Member Avatar
A figment of your imagination...
Would it help in any way if we created five "newbie" threads? Basically, when you join, have a redirect that explains what you won't be able to do and why, then give a list of thread topics that are meant for newbies to get familiar with the site, so they can get their five posts right away?

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Spam on this forum used to be really, really, REALLY bad. We’re talking multiple bots registering and cluttering up the board with multiple posts every single day. The “five posts before you can make a thread” rule fixed it entirely.

OrdinaryOwl
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
I think the problem now is that be there aren't any active newbie threads for legit newbies to easily get their post count up in. Since the forum us so slow, your options are resorting to posting to necro threads, or losing interest.

Maybe having a single, ongoing newbie threads that handles "How do I breathe correctly?" Or "Feedback on sound sample" questions would help. Then you have a single thread to focus on keeping alive, and a place to build community for newcomers.

I guess one further questions is whether or not TON needs a redesign entirely, given all the broken songs due to Photoshop removing their free tier.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
raphael
1 Oct 2017, 11:04 PM
Ocypode
1 Oct 2017, 05:55 PM

LOL :D
Don't worry, I know how those "ranks" work. :) I've been a forumer for decades.

I think, the main issue is the wrong actions that were taken (not meant offensive, just my opinion). To protect from spammers, a delay for each created thread or a delay from registering to first posting would bring help. But not letting the user edit his profile, or not letting him create threads, without any message what's going on, is a big issue imho. Forcing the user to create 5 posts before creating a thread will lead to garbage posts like I wrote. :/ Probably made some probably angry by diging out old threads where I thought I could possibly add something.

Greetings :)
Raphael
The actions were necessary to stop the flood of spam on the forums. They tired less draconian measures for over a year before this was implemented. I for one am glad that the spammers have been stopped.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I think many new TON members find the Z Boards interface intimidating which is why there has been way more activity on the TON Facebook group. The drawbacks to the FB TON is that older messages tend to scroll off very quickly and there is no easy way to search through the message threads to find a topic you are interested in. It's really more of a social group. It's still best to use this TON forum for researching information on selected topics or to go through the archived threads.

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
we can just make a 'newbie shitpost thread' so they can spam 5 posts. it will avoid the bots and newbies can get their count up fast.

Whynaut
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Hey guys, here is my second post. I was so confused why I was getting error messages and I wasn’t even able to PM the moderators/admins.

Thank you so much for making this post so I know what’s going on.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Well, at least Z Boards is not as bad as a Yahoo group.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
I made a thread called Post Count so new members can make a few posts to help them get their post count up to 5. It is in the off topic section.

JooJASL
Beginner
The error message when creating a topic should say that you need 5 posts.
I nearly gave up on this forum before seeing this post.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Things to need to be explained better to new forum members. The reason the mods did that is because we were caught in tidal wave of spammers for a while.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Hi folks, sorry we haven't addressed this topic sooner.

Fact is, we are occupied with moderating the TON Facebook group, which is where most of TON's activity is nowadays.
As others have explained, we did have a major spambot problem on the forum, and the member validation process was the only solution we could come up with at the time.

The admins will discuss on reviewing the process for new members.

Cheers!

persianninja
Beginner
I will also post here.... as I wanted to start asking questions.... but i see there is a 5 post limit as well ... I am also a software engineer/web developer and those kinds of restrictions are tough for a new user.
I used to use a service like Mollom to cut out spam automatically ... But i see that module isn't supported anymore.... so not sure how to stop spam other than recaptcha/honeypot (but thats on a Drupal CMS website, looks like they use some old school forum system that uses table-based layout (phoeey, as site could be faster I bet with some modern forum software with div-based layout and some good caching).
I see there is a Facebook group. cool, ill join that as well
Edited by persianninja, 30 Dec 2017, 12:42 AM.

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

A lot of our problems could be easily resolved if we could effectively transfer off of Zetaboards, however, they refuse to do anything that would enable us to grow, even declining to sell us the database to the TON forums.

persianninja
Beginner
Do you have access to the database backend? Just curious if you could manually take all the posts and 'massage' the data into a new forum's database structure?

Rathun
Beginner
Just adding a reply here to say as a new user it's a bit of a pain.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
A few weeks ago I started a thread to help new users get the 5 posts in so that they can start a new topic.

You can find it here http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/10368477/1/#new

Taxtengo
Beginner
I'm a new user, too...

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
I remember being a little confused by it when I joined but most forums I have been apart of have a similar system so I didn't have any problems figuring it out. Putting requirements somewhere easy to see or when signing up would be nice but I don't think 5 posts is outrageous. Other forums have it to where you have to have 20+ posts to create a thread and 40+ to use the market. I was surprised at how lax the post requirements were here, especially for the buy/sell thread.

Fraxinus Meadow
Pendant Ocarinist
I'm a new user here! I was definitely confused about why I couldn't make my own topic, but I think this is now my 5th post, so YAY!

Blokarina
Pendant Ocarinist
Post No. 1

Hi everyone,

I'm new here.

Four more posts to go...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ