Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What I acquired recently; AF sweet potato and Xun
Topic Started: 26 Sep 2017, 11:03 AM (1,061 Views)
Firevixen
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist
The sound is really nice and now learning how to play the xun.

The sound of the Xun is smooth and mellow. Loving the new experience.

The ocarina is sweet and mellow, perfectly in tune and super excited as I've been looking for an AF.

Anyone else out here plays the Xun?
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_20170927_WA0002.jpg (55 KB)
Attachments: IMG_20170927_WA0003.jpg (26.32 KB)
Edited by Firevixen, 26 Sep 2017, 05:56 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

acox
Andy Cox
several of us have tried the xum, even tried to make them. I really like them.

Andy

Rune615
Beginner
I want to learn, but i can't find any music tabs for it.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I play xun. I prefer the traditional fingering over ocarina fingering. You get more range on a 10-hole xun with the traditional fingering than you do with a 10-hole xun with ocarina fingering. To get the same range as a 10-hole ocarina, you only need eight holes on a xun.

acox
Andy Cox
Mark, I've numerous fingering charts for "traditional fingering" of the xun. Might you consider posting your chart?
thanks,

Andy

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Attaching fingering chart for 8-hole as well as 10-hole. The 8-hole chart is viewed as if you are playing the xun. The 10-hole chart is viewed as if you are looking at it from the front. They are fundamentally the same, but the added holes on the top give it the extra range, and all your fingers used to play the 8-hole xun holes would shift by one.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 138814fa5d8ff7a7ae32905b7497c7de.jpg (87.6 KB)
Attachments: b36d6500cdb3892d90e8d7f3fcfd1291.jpg (61.95 KB)
Edited by Mark Chan, 11 Aug 2018, 05:25 PM.

acox
Andy Cox
Thanks, the numbers suggest notes, "1" being the first note of the scale?

Andy
Mark Chan
11 Aug 2018, 05:23 PM
Attaching fingering chart for 8-hole as well as 10-hole. The 8-hole chart is viewed as if you are playing the xun. The 10-hole chart is viewed as if you are looking at it from the front. They are fundamentally the same, but the added holes on the top give it the extra range, and all your fingers used to play the 8-hole xun holes would shift by one.
Mark,

there are numerous questions I should like to ask.

Your below fingering charts should help equalize volume of the instrument. but again the first note above the closed flute will always be small, will it not?

There are numerous ways to make the top of the xun--drill straight down (thickness of the wall made vertical), Slant (undercut) the interior mouthpiece, make a wedge shape on the outside of the rim.

what have you found to be to your liking? Are there any source for closeup photos of the rim construction that you might point to me?
Edited by acox, 12 Aug 2018, 02:29 AM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

acox
12 Aug 2018, 02:03 AM
Thanks, the numbers suggest notes, "1" being the first note of the scale?<br /><br />Andy
Mark Chan
Mark,<br /><br />there are numerous questions I should like to ask.<br /><br />Your below fingering charts should help equalize volume of the instrument. but again the first note above the closed flute will always be small, will it not?<br /><br />There are numerous ways to make the top of the xun--drill straight down (thickness of the wall made vertical), Slant (undercut) the interior mouthpiece, make a wedge shape on the outside of the rim.<br /><br />what have you found to be to your liking? Are there any source for closeup photos of the rim construction that you might point to me?
acox
12 Aug 2018, 02:03 AM
Thanks, the numbers suggest notes, "1" being the first note of the scale?

Andy
Mark Chan
Mark,

there are numerous questions I should like to ask.

Your below fingering charts should help equalize volume of the instrument. but again the first note above the closed flute will always be small, will it not?

There are numerous ways to make the top of the xun--drill straight down (thickness of the wall made vertical), Slant (undercut) the interior mouthpiece, make a wedge shape on the outside of the rim.

what have you found to be to your liking? Are there any source for closeup photos of the rim construction that you might point to me?
Hi Andy, yes 1 denotes the start of the scale. Usually, Chinese wind instruments are marked with a letter next to the hole where the scale begins.

From what I've noticed, the first note above the closed flute is always small. Similar to the English pendant, the ratio in hole sizes will follow a standard pattern for a standard fingering.

Attached are a few photos I've found on the web. I've read that the outside wedge makes it easier to play the high notes. I own two xuns, one with the wedge,and one without anything. Just straight circle. Of the two, I like the straight circle better. It was easier for me to play. However, my fiance has high quality ones with the wedge that are made personally by her teacher, who is the most famous xun player in China, and those play so much easier than the ones I own. Hers has a much deeper wedge than mine. I will take mine to China next month to see if she can have them adjusted to play better.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: B09292EAA2DE1923743257290CC2506E.jpg (159.4 KB)
Attachments: FmakIgBmLB0kiYU3o_LPg2FweZiP.jpg (22.45 KB)
Attachments: 3188726754_883508162.jpg (30.93 KB)
Attachments: IMG_20180812_085943.jpg (176.43 KB)
Edited by Mark Chan, 12 Aug 2018, 02:00 PM.

acox
Andy Cox
thanks Mark. The third photo is what I have found to be the best for me; eg, a slight external wedge but with walls a few degrees from the vertical. In fact on bamboo xuns, I've found the walls are the deciding part of the window with an internal wedge almost vertical but never over 3 mm in depth. I absolutely adore the tenor (C) bamboo examples I make. they are of ocarina fingering and are clear and very easy to play

Andy

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pictures · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ