Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
how bad can this ocarina be?; cheap double ocarina from china
Topic Started: 19 Sep 2017, 10:03 AM (664 Views)
Kohrak
Member Avatar
12 hole ocarinist
Hello ocarina people,

I found this today while browsing ebay and I wonder. How bad can it be?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zero-16-Hole-Double-Tube-2-pipes-Terracotta-Alto-C-Ocarina-Music-Instrument-Gift-/292194738401?hash=item440829e0e1:g:q4MAAOSwQWFZdxLm

is about 20 for a double ocarina and is not even supposed to be plastic, something is not right there

what do you think?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
How bad? Probably 1000 bads... 999 being the highest of bads. Lol but I know the feeling... You gonna take the gamble or what?!

Don't forget to leave a review!

Nina
Beginner
Probably very, VERY bad... but then again, someone just posted that on Facebook as the favourite ocarina of their little collection. So the odds of getting something decent might be higher than usual.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
The problem is this maker is not well known here on TON. I don't recognize the makers stamp on the mouthpiece. There are lots of ocarina makers in China. Some of them are very good, others not so good. You take your chances when you order something from an unknown maker. Maybe you will be lucky and he turns out to be one of the good ones. If you buy a double from a maker with a known reputation, you will have to pay more but at least you know it will be good.

Soren
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
I do not have any personal experience with these, but they seem to be fairly common these days.

This ocarina can certainly be very bad. A few things stand out as major flaws that I noticed from my beginner's experience making ocarinas.
In the image showing the fipples, there is a burr of clay hanging onto the larger chamber fipple. That will have a very adverse effect on the clarity of notes, especially near the top of the range. I also notice similar burrs and irregularities on the tone holes as well as the entrance to the airways. The shaping seems to be a cheap imitation of the professional ocarinas that is somewhat off and irregular rather than the exact precise shaping that is purposed by an experienced professional.

This ocarina is probably slip-cast from a mold made from a professional ocarina in order to be mass-produced. The quality here is likely not nearly as good as one from a known and professional maker. I have had quite varying experience with the cheaper ceramic ocarinas I have bought, but I have never yet got one that was truly a great ocarina.

Could it be repaired to be a decent double ocarina? If you have any experience making ocarinas or understanding what details affect the sound quality, the price is right for an attempt. It is still a risk to be taken, though, that the money and time is invested into a display piece and nothing more.

mremic01
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 5
I have one of these. The chamber balance is ok. Not awful, but not great. It's surprisingly well tuned, but easy to overblow and get too high a pitch. The biggest problem with it is the clay. It's very brittle and crumbly. A small burr came off from inside mine and was easy to crush into powder with my fingers. But for $20-$30, it's a lot of ocarina.

Mystic_Ocarina
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Kohrak
19 Sep 2017, 10:03 AM
Hello ocarina people,<br /><br />I found this today while browsing ebay and I wonder. How bad can it be?<br /><br />http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zero-16-Hole-Double-Tube-2-pipes-Terracotta-Alto-C-Ocarina-Music-Instrument-Gift-/292194738401?hash=item440829e0e1:g:q4MAAOSwQWFZdxLm<br /><br />is about 20 for a double ocarina and is not even supposed to be plastic, something is not right there<br /><br />what do you think?
Kohrak
19 Sep 2017, 10:03 AM
Hello ocarina people,

I found this today while browsing ebay and I wonder. How bad can it be?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zero-16-Hole-Double-Tube-2-pipes-Terracotta-Alto-C-Ocarina-Music-Instrument-Gift-/292194738401?hash=item440829e0e1:g:q4MAAOSwQWFZdxLm

is about 20 for a double ocarina and is not even supposed to be plastic, something is not right there

what do you think?
I have it and mine is very very Bad, first chamber is fone, second one is untuned

DerBlocki
Pendant Ocarinist
Ebay is probably not the smartest site to buy :aria: :focalinkpurple: :focalinkpurple:

Tennyson
Member Avatar
Flutist

I got one some time ago, just to try it. :)

The first chamber works, but the second one is out of tune, so, actually, it is an ocarina impossible to be played.

The brand should be Chinese, it is called "Zero", but the ocarina does not come with anything with that brand and the stamp on it is unclear, it seems a stylized flower or something similar.

I wonder the meaning of making a double ocarina (even if really inexpensive) with the second chamber not in tune and to sell it (just for people like me, buying it as an 'experiment'?).

It is quite unfortunate, since, if the second chamber were at least working, it would be a 'not-so-bad' ocarina for a really low price. :)

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I find with buying on ebay, I only will get an ocarina if it is a brand that has a good reputation with other people on here, or it's sold by someone who plays the ocarina. So many things are not as good as they say they are.

Grimat
Member Avatar
Hi, I'm Mathew :)

I'll be honest, I've been tempted to follow an ongoing trend with a TON twist..... Buying ocarinas on Wish XD

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ