Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DoodkiMusic bamboo ocarinas; A Russian Etsy maker
Topic Started: 11 Sep 2017, 04:22 PM (509 Views)
Erulissë
Inline Ocarinist
I've recently stumbled upon these bamboo ocarinas and I was wondering whether anyone has any experience with them - https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/DoodkiMusic

The maker offers other instruments, too - a few flutes and even a kalimba (sold, sadly). His work looks amazing, the sound samples of his creations are on soundcloud, I love everything so far but I'd love to hear other people's opinions, preferably of those who own or have previously played one of his ocarinas.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

acox
Andy Cox
The work appears beautiful/

I too make a few and notice a difference in the timbre from these closed tubular flutes and the transverse clay ocarina. attached is one of my latest
Attached to this post:
Attachments: tenor_c_Medieval_application_2.jpg (124.07 KB)

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
It's weird that he doesn't say the note range in his descriptions. I'd be weary of tuning until you can confirm with the maker...

EDIT: sound samples are good. Best to confirm with maker about note range.

I wonder what the back looks like, I can't see any images of jt
Edited by bigray, 11 Sep 2017, 08:27 PM.

wAllop1
Member Avatar
Professional novice
I think they're quite beautiful, actually. At that price I would buy one or two just to have in my collection.

Gemstone
Member Avatar
invisible ties
I just noticed this thread and looked up the instruments on Etsy.

Isn't it stated in the descriptions on Etsy and in the sound sample titles on Soundcloud (at least in some of them) which scale they play? For example in the sound sample for the Bamboo Ocarina "VI" the sound sample title says "G-dur". Or are you looking for another information? I'm wondering more about the fingerings, I guess they are played like "usual" pendant ocarinas?

Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
I asked about the fingering charts and got a response. The four holes use a pentatonic scale and the 6 holes use a modified linear major scale. There are no thumb holes. Fingering charts are attached.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: icm_fullxfull.135779399_rok1mgig3jkswkk0gwoc.jpg (60.3 KB)
Attachments: icm_fullxfull.135779569_a2i6kpzpwu0wc0o48osc.jpg (35.03 KB)
Attachments: icm_fullxfull.135779575_oodzrss6y28sc4wksgw4.jpg (55.62 KB)
Attachments: icm_fullxfull.131576162_ssy3xxt7n1ck4840osck.jpg (34.24 KB)
Edited by Saki, 12 Sep 2017, 08:39 PM.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I like the idea of having an instument like that, but I don't think I could get used to that fingering! It took me long enough to learn my 7 hole Ocarina of Time replica's fingering!

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
found this comment from the maker and thought id share it for reference...

'Hi! My name is Vladimir. I love musical instruments as well as music they help to produce. The very first priority for me is the sound of the instrument: when it is perfect, I work on the design. Every piece I sell here is made by me.'

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · European Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ