Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hind Ocarina Review; Hind Ocarinas
Topic Started: 27 Jul 2017, 02:51 PM (565 Views)
t_mack28
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
Hello guys. I'm preparing to purchase a custom Hind Soprano Ocarina in the very near future. Anyone have any experience with these fine instruments?. Email me at T_mack28@yahoo.com. Also if anyone knows where I can buy this?
Attached to this post:
Attachments: image.jpeg (92.61 KB)
Attachments: image.jpeg (14.89 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Your other thread asking about how to buy that ocarina has been answered, but I'll tell you how Hind ocarinas perform here. Generally speaking, Hind ocarinas are very well made. However, they tend to have very low breath requirements; you have to use very gentle air. The breath slope is even, basically nonexistent in the sense that you can maintain a pretty consistent air pressure as far as I recall. The tone itself is pleasant but rather quiet. The ocarinas tend to be lightweight. They also require maintenance (oiling, etc) in order to stay in good shape. However, since you've said that your ocarina of interest is made of Corian, which isn't actually wood... I don't believe it would need (as much) maintenance, and the tone also may be different. I would imagine that the low breath requirement is still the same, though.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Quote:

Generally speaking, Hind ocarinas are very well made.

Yep!

Quote:

However, they tend to have very low breath requirements.

Relative to most other ocarinas, yep!

Quote:

The breath slope is even, basically nonexistent in the sense that you can maintain a pretty consistent air pressure as far as I recall.

Ehhh, sort of. It does have a rising breath slope, but the gradient is not steep at all. It's quite minimal.

Quote:

The tone itself is pleasant but rather quiet.

Nope! I mean, yes the tone is pleasant but I wouldn't call them quiet ocarinas. Atleast, not the Alto and Soprano. They're infact just as loud as a Focalink AC/SC.

Quote:

The ocarinas tend to be lightweight.

Yep! This is true for the wooden ones, not sure how true it is for corian, though.

Quote:

They also require maintenance (oiling, etc) in order to stay in good shape.

Hind's ocarinas are actually treated (on the inside of the body and outside) so they don't require the kind of maintenance that, say, Woodsounds need. Hind recommends just putting some oil (he has said olive oil in the past if I'm not mistaken, but we're also a fan of sweet almond oil here) on a slip of paper and oiling the windway every so often.

Quote:

However, since you've said that your ocarina of interest is made of Corian, which isn't actually wood... I don't believe it would need (as much) maintenance

You're probably right in saying that it might not need any. It's basically a prettier looking plastic ocarina.

Keep in mind that corian, because it is not porous has infamously terrible condensation issues. And the soprano corian even more so. The windway is so small that it gets choked up with saliva very, very quickly. If it were my money I'd invest in the wooden soprano instead of the corian.
The reason Hind ocarinas need the windway to be oiled every now and again is because of the fact that to avoid condensation as much as possible Hind leaves the windway untreated so that the porous wood can absorb some of the moisture. Corian, as a material, will not do that.
It's also the reason that Mountain ocarinas, when they still made aluminium and corian/warmstone ocarinas actually kept the dotted plastic inlays on the windway, to avoid condensation issues.

Edited by Achint, 28 Jul 2017, 07:12 PM.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Achint
28 Jul 2017, 07:07 PM
Quote:

The tone itself is pleasant but rather quiet.

Nope! I mean, yes the tone is pleasant but I wouldn't call them quiet ocarinas. Atleast, not the Alto and Soprano. They're infact just as loud as a Focalink AC/SC.

Ah, my mistake. I've only ever had tenors from Hind, so I'm used to a very mellow sound.

In addition to Achint's suggestion about getting a wooden ocarina instead of a corian one, it might be worth pointing out that a wooden Hind ocarina would be cheaper than an otherwise identical corian one, so... in terms of functionality as well as price, wood might be a better option. Actually, I know I mentioned CKeene's Woodsound to you (OP) in another thread after Jeanne (pandorado) brought them up, but CKeene is ALSO selling a Hind transverse ocarina, made out of wood (Padauk and... something else).

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Amerred
28 Jul 2017, 09:09 PM
Ah, my mistake. I've only ever had tenors from Hind, so I'm used to a very mellow sound.
Yea the tenor and the bass can definitely be classified as softer ocarinas as far as volume goes. And definitely more mellow too. Less of a chirpy bird like quality and more recorder-reedy type.

CKeene
Member Avatar
Lion Tamer
Hind sopranos are very nice and play beautifully. On average (i have tried multiple Hind ocarinas of each size and of slightly different designs over the years) the alto and soprano are, in a way, musically superior to the tenor and bass models, as the lower ocarinas suffer in volume, resonance and breath restriction. As others have said, the alto and sopranos are plenty loud, but still pleasant and balanced due to the more even breath demand (no shrill high notes). I never had condensation issues on the sopranos, but I never tried the corian ocarinas. Still, he makes the windways larger than he used to and it has solved the problem mostly. My soprano and tenor never condensate, though my alto occasionally does.
Also, you never need to oil a hind ocarina. These hardwoods are very dense and are treated so they won't really absorb the oil anyways.
Edited by CKeene, 10 Oct 2017, 09:19 PM.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I was playing my Hind double tenor F (harmony inline), and it was playing a whole tone flat (B and E instead of C and F) and if I blow any harder on it, it just made a terrible squeak. I know I can't play it in the winter when it gets too cold, but would oil or something fix the flatness? A harmony ocarina is hard enough without it being flat! I love the ocarina's tone overall, but I can't figure out why it would be a whole step flat.

SecristOcarina
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
I think Hind sweet potatoes are excellent instruments. I only have one but it's been very inspirational.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Kitten Forest
13 Sep 2017, 02:31 PM
I was playing my Hind double tenor F (harmony inline), and it was playing a whole tone flat (B and E instead of C and F) and if I blow any harder on it, it just made a terrible squeak. I know I can't play it in the winter when it gets too cold, but would oil or something fix the flatness? A harmony ocarina is hard enough without it being flat! I love the ocarina's tone overall, but I can't figure out why it would be a whole step flat.
If you're feeling brave, you can try drilling a very tiny hole in the back of both chambers. The tiniest you can at first, then make it a little larger until you get the correct fundamental note. That *should* raise the pitch of the whole chamber correctly, provided the whole scale is flat by the same amount.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Ocarina Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ