Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
My Ocarina Journey; Diary - ProgressLog
Topic Started: 3 Jul 2017, 11:52 AM (442 Views)
Meridirh
Pendant Ocarinist
Hey everyone,

Following my plan on learning various instruments, I started a diary where I plan on recording my progress on the ocarina.
As a starter, I made a video right after unboxing the ocarina. I already fell in love with her! :D I love that instrument!

Feel free to comment on my playing. The purpose of this thread is to keep track of my progress, to learn and improve as a musician.

YouTube Channel - Learning the Ocarina as an adult - Day 1

:D

Lukas
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
I have seen your video, I think that when I first tried ocarina, I probably did something very similar, except I did not try to do anything past the scale!

I started (2 years ago) with a tuner in front of me. It helped me a lot, and I still need it from time to time (I don't have as much time as I wish to play ocarina, that does not help).
Basically, it helps you to know how strong you should blow in the ocarina to be in tune.
I suggest practising scales in front of the tuner, going up the scale, down the scale, trying simple sequences such going up two notes, going down one, up two notes, down one, until you reach the highest note, then the same sequence backward.
You can also do the tune very slowly in front of the tuner, to know if you play the notes correctly.

After a while, you'll remember the sound of each note, so you won't need the tuner as often, or not at all perhaps.

About the tuner, APTuner works very well on my laptop. There are also apps for smartphone, but I cannot give any precise recommendation since my smartphone is quite old and perhaps even a little deaf.
Edited by Ocypode, 3 Jul 2017, 02:29 PM.

Meridirh
Pendant Ocarinist
Ocypode
3 Jul 2017, 02:28 PM
I have seen your video, I think that when I first tried ocarina, I probably did something very similar, except I did not try to do anything past the scale!

I started (2 years ago) with a tuner in front of me. It helped me a lot, and I still need it from time to time (I don't have as much time as I wish to play ocarina, that does not help).
Basically, it helps you to know how strong you should blow in the ocarina to be in tune.
I suggest practising scales in front of the tuner, going up the scale, down the scale, trying simple sequences such going up two notes, going down one, up two notes, down one, until you reach the highest note, then the same sequence backward.
You can also do the tune very slowly in front of the tuner, to know if you play the notes correctly.

After a while, you'll remember the sound of each note, so you won't need the tuner as often, or not at all perhaps.

About the tuner, APTuner works very well on my laptop. There are also apps for smartphone, but I cannot give any precise recommendation since my smartphone is quite old and perhaps even a little deaf.
Hey ocypode :)
thank you!
Yeah, there have already been some members who told me to practice with a tune first to see how far I can push the intonation by altering the blowing.
I am definitely going to include it in my daily practice!

I assume practicing scales with the tuner in front of me, starting with the "du-du-du" sounds would be a good start.
So far, I have been using G-strings for android smartphones. It's one that I use to tune my violin, so I assume it would be fine for the ocarina as well.

heike
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Meridirh
3 Jul 2017, 09:33 PM

I assume practicing scales with the tuner in front of me, starting with the "du-du-du" sounds would be a good start.
So far, I have been using G-strings for android smartphones. It's one that I use to tune my violin, so I assume it would be fine for the ocarina as well.
Hi Meridirh
The G-strings works good enough. I started with that, too. But meanwhile I got a Korg CA 40, because I can always leave it at my stand to use for either control once in a while or whenever I start with a new ocarina, to find out the right breath I need for playing in tune. It has a nice big enough display and is flat enough to go well on the stand, and is portable to come along with my ocarinas in the bag. Happy exploring :-)

Meridirh
Pendant Ocarinist
Hey everyone
I now crossed the first month on the ocarina :)
Thanks to everyone who gave me advise.

I've implemented intonation into my daily practice on the ocarina. I wanted to share with you my cover of "Oh When The Saints Go Marching In". I would really appreciate it if you could take your time and comment on my intonation. That would be awesome! That's something I really want to improve, having no prior knowledge to brass instruments.

Here is the collection of videos I've made within that period.
Please ignore my rather dumb look in the first video :'D It was the first video with the new light setups and I could hardly see anything. That's why I looked so serious and sort of stupid.

Week 2 -

Week 4 -

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
You progress well! Keep up the good work!

heike
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Nice progress! Intonation is getting better.
The tonguing works, right? Now you might exercise that the tonguing and finger movement go synchrone by starting that slowly, and getting faster when they easily are synced. (Your right ring finger is a bit slow still)
Another little advice I would give you is that you might try not to lift your fingers as high as you do. Your fingers will memorize that big movement, and then it will be more difficult to keep up with quicker pieces you'll want to play some time, or will become uncomfortable to play ornaments once you will try that.
Thanks for sharing. Now I wish I would have taken a record in the two years I am playing ocarina now... Still can do, we never stop improving :-)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Performances · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ