Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Good Double Ocarina Recommendations?
Topic Started: 12 Jun 2017, 03:10 PM (466 Views)
Kytt
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
My apologies if this isn't the correct subforum for this.

I've been playing my single chamber Aria :ariagreen: for a while now, and I'm really enjoying it! Getting used to reading sheet music again has been fun! As I become more comfortable with the single, however, I know I'm going to want to move to a Double over the course of the next few months. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a solid double that I could use to introduce myself to a multi-chamber ocarina? I've been eyeing focalink's double SGs and ACs in particular.

Something to take into account: I've mostly been playing alone in my home or in small group gatherings, so if there's anything out there on the quiet side, that would be excellent...I'm not even sure if that exists.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mremic01
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 4
The Focalink regular DAC isn't too loud and it's very easy to play. The tone is very pure and focused, while the Forte will be noticeably louder with a little bit more airiness (but consistent, not just on the higher notes) than the regular. For a beginner, I'd definitely recommend the regular Focalink DAC, but since you've been playing the Aria for awhile, you probably won't have too hard a time with almost any double on the market right now. Except those $20 Zelda doubles on Amazon, those are probably junk.

I recently got a Focalkink DSG, and it's a little more airy in its tone than some of my other Focalinks, but it's not too loud and it still sounds nice. If you don't already have a multichamber AC, I would go for one of those first though.

Some other options:

TNG regular DAC - These used to have issues with the subholes, but otherwise they are quite nice. Supposedly the subholes have been fixed.
TNG Purple Clay DAC - Consistently gets good reviews, but expensive.
STL Zelda DAC - Ocarinadiva really likes this one. I have the plastic version and it gets pretty airy, so maybe the ceramic is better.
ICO - Imperial City Ocarina has two DACs, a regular one and a mini. They get very good reviews. They also have several other keys for very good prices.
Songbird Zelda DAC - Kissing88 really like this one. Haven't tried it myself. Has Japanese subholes.
Dinda - Sometimes available on Etsy. They're usually well received.
STL Max Range DAC - Designed by Ocarevolutionary who is a member here. Has an extra thumbhole on the second chamber for extended the range.
PureOcarinas - I believe PureOcarinas offers doubles in G and D. Robert Hickman, who is also a member here, puts a lot of research into his designs.
Spencer Virtuoso - Expensive but high quality DAC. Japanese subholes.
Takashi - These have replaced Maparams as the high-end ocarina. Worth looking into if you have the money to spend.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kytt
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Thank you so much! There are a few you mentioned I hadn't looked into yet -- I'll definitely check them out! :)

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
I'm gunna go ahead and suggest one of my own here first:

http://imperialcityocarina.com/double-chamber-ocarinas.html

I don't usually do this cause it just feels weird, but in this case, you're looking for a quiet ocarina. You are *not* going to find that in an AC, and definitely not an SG. You're going to want an AG or lower, but cost-wise that gets up there very, very quickly. However, ICO's lower keys can be gotten for less than the cost of others' AC's. (Plus honestly... I'm very partial to ICO. I love everything about them, from their ergonomics to their sound to their chamber balance. Before I even started doing work for them I already had a DSF, DAF, TAF, and DBC from them. The DAF has been my main ocarina since 2012)

And just a note... if you want one custom finished by me, I have DBC's and TBC's on their way to my stock. Those are the quietest of the bunch. It'll be a couple weeks before they show up on the site though. ... and you'd have to contact me to get it: my stock doesn't show up on the site unless I do my own finish rather than custom order. (any on the site can be finished by me... you just end up having to pay for shipping twice unless you happen to live near me XD )

(I do also have a DAC and TAC currently... but they are *loud* ... the DAC is a mini and a bit more quiet, but no more quiet than a Focalink DAC)

THAT said, if money is no object: Takashi -- http://www.pankuolong.url.tw/mcocarinas.htm

There are countless other good ones out there... that's just like, my dream ocarina. So... I'll just list ones to avoid:

any of those cheapo ones found on amazon (in the same vein... many of the cheapo ones found on taobao, though there are many exceptions)

any of the maxrange from STL (these are not *bad*... just difficult to play and are just going to frustrate someone learning multi-chamber)

Have not found a really *good* multi-chamber plastic, even the brands that make good single plastics. Condensation issues just become too much when you also need to switch chambers.

Breakfast Oreos
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
I really love my focalink DAC. It's not overly loud but i wouldn't call it quiet, either. It has a great tone and is not airy. Looks like you got some great recommendations already!

mremic01
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 4
spoonyspork
12 Jun 2017, 03:59 PM
Have not found a really *good* multi-chamber plastic, even the brands that make good single plastics. Condensation issues just become too much when you also need to switch chambers.
A Night by Noble double would take over that section of the ocarina market. Focalink could probably do a nice one too.

I haven't had problem with condensation. Mostly just airiness. My plastic Zelda double is particularly airy on the first chamber's high notes, moreso than the regular STL plastic 12 hole. It's pretty jarring to go from the airy D to the much more focused E on the 2nd chamber. You'd think an 11 hole chamber would be less likely to have that issue.

Kytt
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
spoonyspork
12 Jun 2017, 03:59 PM
I'm gunna go ahead and suggest one of my own here first:

http://imperialcityocarina.com/double-chamber-ocarinas.html

I don't usually do this cause it just feels weird, but in this case, you're looking for a quiet ocarina. You are *not* going to find that in an AC, and definitely not an SG. You're going to want an AG or lower, but cost-wise that gets up there very, very quickly. However, ICO's lower keys can be gotten for less than the cost of others' AC's. (Plus honestly... I'm very partial to ICO. I love everything about them, from their ergonomics to their sound to their chamber balance. Before I even started doing work for them I already had a DSF, DAF, TAF, and DBC from them. The DAF has been my main ocarina since 2012)

And just a note... if you want one custom finished by me, I have DBC's and TBC's on their way to my stock. Those are the quietest of the bunch. It'll be a couple weeks before they show up on the site though. ... and you'd have to contact me to get it: my stock doesn't show up on the site unless I do my own finish rather than custom order. (any on the site can be finished by me... you just end up having to pay for shipping twice unless you happen to live near me XD )

(I do also have a DAC and TAC currently... but they are *loud* ... the DAC is a mini and a bit more quiet, but no more quiet than a Focalink DAC)

THAT said, if money is no object: Takashi -- http://www.pankuolong.url.tw/mcocarinas.htm
We'll see where I am in a month or so money-wise when I go to order -- that plain white Takashi is so tempting!

I hadn't really looked into ICO before, but they do look beautifully crafted. If you wouldn't mind sending me a PM with more detail about your finishing work, I'm interested in hearing about it! :) (Where you'd be shipping from, the fees, what kind of finishes you do, etc)

Also which Double(s) would you recommend from ICO? I'm just glancing at their page now and they have so so many!
Based on what you've said so far, I think you'd probably say this would be a good place to start?: http://imperialcityocarina.com/alto-double-chamber-key-of-g.html

Ari
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I'll put my vote in for a Takashi double. Though Takashi ocarinas are expensive, they're definitely worth it. I also own an STL Zelda DAC, which in hindsight was actually pretty nice. The chamber balance wasn't perfect, but it was good for when I was starting out. ICO ocarinas are definitely more on the quiet side compared to those two, though, so you're probably better off getting one of those if that's what you're looking for.

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Kytt
12 Jun 2017, 05:24 PM
We'll see where I am in a month or so money-wise when I go to order -- that plain white Takashi is so tempting!

I hadn't really looked into ICO before, but they do look beautifully crafted. If you wouldn't mind sending me a PM with more detail about your finishing work, I'm interested in hearing about it! :) (Where you'd be shipping from, the fees, what kind of finishes you do, etc)

Also which Double(s) would you recommend from ICO? I'm just glancing at their page now and they have so so many!
Based on what you've said so far, I think you'd probably say this would be a good place to start?: http://imperialcityocarina.com/alto-double-chamber-key-of-g.html
Sure! I'll send you a pm in just a sec :)

My personal favorite key is the F (obviously, lol). Mostly because the B natural is easy to get (you play it like you would an F# on an AC), so it ends up being easier to transpose fingerings in my head so I can play a piece of music as read (rather than trying to transpose the music itself, or letting the ocarina do the transposing but not being able to play along with music).
Edited by spoonyspork, 12 Jun 2017, 06:05 PM.

Breakfast Oreos
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
I have a custom painted ICO from spoonyspork and it is excellent! I can't link a pic right now but I posted one on the ICO thread. She does a great job.

Kytt
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Hmmm. Waiting on a PM from her now! I'm really stuck between the DAC from ICO and a Takashi now (though ordering from Takashi seems a bit scary? The website looks kinda glitchy to me and I only know English -- though he seems to speak English fine on his YT, so maybe it would be okay...)

(Btw I think I've decided on the AC just because I prefer the range of the instrument's tuning :) )

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
You should have a giant wall of text from me, Kytt :)

Kytt
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
spoonyspork
12 Jun 2017, 07:33 PM
You should have a giant wall of text from me, Kytt :)
I got it!! Thank you so so much for all the info! :D

Ari
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Ordering from Mr. Kuolong Pan is not difficult at all. He speaks good English and responds quite fast. However, keep in mind that there will be a waiting period of about a month for him to make your ocarina. You don't have to pay until after it's done, and he'll ship your oc after he gets the payment confirmation.

Kytt
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Ari
12 Jun 2017, 07:50 PM
Ordering from Mr. Kuolong Pan is not difficult at all. He speaks good English and responds quite fast. However, keep in mind that there will be a waiting period of about a month for him to make your ocarina. You don't have to pay until after it's done, and he'll ship your oc after he gets the payment confirmation.
Ohh, very good to know! I see he also takes PayPal! Excellent!

Another one I spaced on that I was considering: Noble Ocarina :nobleblack: makes absolutely gorgeous looking doubles! However, they're Japanese fingering on the subholes, which I'm not particularly fond of. (I have a Songbird Dragontooth in this style.)

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Yes the Takashi site was intimidating to me when I looked too but it actually was very easy and communication was great. And Mr. Pan can customize the ocarina how you would like, so for example if you wanted it fired a certain way or I think he could do japanese subholes. I really love my Takashi though I personally still have a problem with the high D. I know it's me though because I can get it to sound just fine but I can't figure out how I do it lol.
Also I would definitely stay away from plastic multichambers. I heard Dinda was soft but seems to have condensation problems for some people.
I personally am trying to decide between ICO or Claudio Colombo. The Takashi is very sweet sounding but I wanted something bolder and those seem to be the two I narrowed it down to and they are both affordable for me right now. But I'm bad at deciding on these things lol I might still be debating on which one next month. xD

Kytt
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
I think I've decided on a Takashi! :D Thank you all for these WONDERFUL recommendations! ( I was particularly tempted by the Focalink, ICO, and Pure Ocarinas as well! ) Takashi designs are just soo beautiful and all the sound samples and reviews I've heard/seen have been excellent as well!

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

JordonMB
Member Avatar
Beginner
There is an amazing Double Bass G from Focalink which I have my eye on. Fairly expensive but it sounds amazing. Has anyone seen it yet? I've been looking around for posts on it but nothing comes up. It's the lowest pitched double bass I could find (E3-G5) and it weighs quite a bit (1345g).

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
JordonMB
17 Jun 2017, 04:45 PM
There is an amazing Double Bass G from Focalink which I have my eye on. Fairly expensive but it sounds amazing. Has anyone seen it yet? I've been looking around for posts on it but nothing comes up. It's the lowest pitched double bass I could find (E3-G5) and it weighs quite a bit (1345g).
I love the look and sound of this one. I just can't get it in my pocket.

http://www.stlocarina.com/bass.html

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Kytt
13 Jun 2017, 08:28 PM
I think I've decided on a Takashi! :D Thank you all for these WONDERFUL recommendations! ( I was particularly tempted by the Focalink, ICO, and Pure Ocarinas as well! ) Takashi designs are just soo beautiful and all the sound samples and reviews I've heard/seen have been excellent as well!
My Takashi DAC is my favorite ocarina :) and cause I'll take any chance to show it off......
Back of Ocarina Front of Ocarina

Edited cause pictures won't work but the link does.
Edited by Vendace, 20 Jun 2017, 11:25 AM.

Kytt
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Vendace
20 Jun 2017, 11:21 AM
Kytt
My Takashi DAC is my favorite ocarina :) and cause I'll take any chance to show it off......

Ahhh those white spots in the smoke fire always make me so hopeful that mine will have a bit of that! :P It's GORGEOUS! I'm glad...I don't think I've seen a single bad review of the Takashi ocarinas.

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Kytt
20 Jun 2017, 01:53 PM
Vendace
20 Jun 2017, 11:21 AM
Kytt

Ahhh those white spots in the smoke fire always make me so hopeful that mine will have a bit of that! :P It's GORGEOUS! I'm glad...I don't think I've seen a single bad review of the Takashi ocarinas.
You can always ask Mr. Kuolong if he'll try to do a custom firing, that's what I did (I even sent reference pictures)! He just can't promise how it'll turn out.

Kytt
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Vendace
21 Jun 2017, 11:15 AM
You can always ask Mr. Kuolong if he'll try to do a custom firing, that's what I did (I even sent reference pictures)! He just can't promise how it'll turn out.
When I told him I'd admired his "intricate smoke firing patterns" he told me he'd do his best. I think I'm going to let him do his thing and just be happy with whatever wonderful oc I get out of it :love:

Erulissė
Grace
Hey, joining in on the topic. Any thoughts on the Stein doubles?

EDIT: never mind, i missed the line where you talk about the Stein/Focalink ones, sorry!
Edited by Erulissė, 21 Jun 2017, 04:52 PM.

Kytt
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Erulissė
21 Jun 2017, 04:51 PM
Hey, joining in on the topic. Any thoughts on the Stein doubles?

EDIT: never mind, i missed the line where you talk about the Stein/Focalink ones, sorry!
Lots of people have the stein/focalink doubles, and I'm sure they're a solid choice! For me, however, it came down to ICO (Imperial City Ocarina) or Takashi. I had the funds for a Takashi, so I went for that! However, I would have gone with ICO if I'd been a bit more strapped for funds atm. :) They're about 33-50% of the price of a Takashi, and I haven't seen a bad review of them yet!

(Then again I don't think I've seen a bad review of focalink either, I was just looking for getting the best quality for my money!)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
If you are interested in Focalink/Stein ocarinas, you should check out Hans Rotter's YouTube channel. He has lots of videos posted of Stein ocarinas played by some of the best players in the world such as Vera Unfried and Satoshi Osawa. Just because Songbird sells Focalink ocarinas doesn't mean they are to be considered suitable only for beginners. Focalink/Fengya/Stein makes a range of different ocarinas and they are well known and respected by the international ocarina community.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbo8EneydKob5KOCwt1NGsw

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter • Facebook | Read the FAQ