Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Plastic ocarinas comparison (OVER THE RAINBOW)
Topic Started: 12 Jun 2017, 09:10 AM (411 Views)
kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Hi guys, here is a video where I use:

1. Odami plastic Alto C
2. Noble plastic Alto C
3. Focalink plastic Alto C
4. Mountain Alto C

for comparison of tone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMGc7vULyAA
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ari
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Great playing as always! I'm liking the sound of the plastic Noble. I'll have to pick one up sometime, haha.

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
It's nice to be able to hear them side by side. I never realized how different the mountain ocarinas were in sound.

Bobbie
ocarinas & etc
@Kissing, thank you so much for this video. It's really useful to compare the major plastics side by side. (Plus your beautiful playing always inspires me to play more.)

I evaluated these plastics for purchase a few months ago and decided on the Night By Noble. I've been very happy with it. As good as tone as any, great range, indestructable plastic, etc. About the only disadvantage -- from my personal point of view -- is that it's very loud.

I also bought the Mountain C plastic. It's softer-spoken than the transverses, but to me at least, the tonal quality is not quite as good. It sounds a bit like a plastic whistle to my ears. I can see why many in the Mountain universe favor the G, which IMHO sounds better sound than the C. Personal preference, I guess.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Bobbie
13 Jun 2017, 01:15 AM
@Kissing, thank you so much for this video. It's really useful to compare the major plastics side by side. (Plus your beautiful playing always inspires me to play more.)

I evaluated these plastics for purchase a few months ago and decided on the Night By Noble. I've been very happy with it. As good as tone as any, great range, indestructable plastic, etc. About the only disadvantage -- from my personal point of view -- is that it's very loud.

I also bought the Mountain C plastic. It's softer-spoken than the transverses, but to me at least, the tonal quality is not quite as good. It sounds a bit like a plastic whistle to my ears. I can see why many in the Mountain universe favor the G, which IMHO sounds better sound than the C. Personal preference, I guess.
Thanks for your kind words.

The Mountain ocarina is an entirely different beast to the other plastic ocarinas.
It's such a different sound, it's nearly a different instrument.

You made a great choice on the Noble!

yordan
Member Avatar
total amateur
My go-to ocarina is plastic Focalink AC. Except the strong condensation, it is a great instrument with good tuning and sweet tone. I play it minimum 2-3 times per week.

LillyDragon
Member Avatar
*sips tea*
This is a great comparison video! I'm pretty happy with my Focalink AC, although the Odami sounds really sweet too.

The only thing I doubt with the Focalink one is whether the tone has as much character as my ceramic ocarinas. At full breath in a large room, it has room to echo and sounds really nice, but when I play it in the closet for a short recording, it obviously sounds like a plastic instrument. I don't understand why, because the plastic Focalink Soprano C I have sounds as good as my ceramic Soprano G. (I don't need a ceramic Soprano C because of it!) Maybe I should play the Focalink AC with the acute bend more often to be sure; mine seems to need that on every note above the high A.

I still take it everywhere with me, though. I love having a musical instrument around my shoulder no matter where I'm at, and it's been quite a conversation starter in public. :grin:

yordan
9 Jul 2017, 09:43 PM
My go-to ocarina is plastic Focalink AC. Except the strong condensation, it is a great instrument with good tuning and sweet tone. I play it minimum 2-3 times per week.

The one I have doesn't clog as easily as I thought it would. As long as I'm playing it at the necessary breath pressure, I only have to stop now and then to blow away the moisture in the windway. (It sounds sharper than normal after five minutes or so, or stops completely.) It's certainly an annoyance while practicing, though. I still agree with you on that.

I play my ceramics for extensive practice, since I only have to stop when I need a sip of tea. Never realized how easy it was to get thirsty while playing wind instruments. :noes:

yordan
Member Avatar
total amateur
LillyDragon
10 Jul 2017, 07:49 PM
The only thing I doubt with the Focalink one is whether the tone has as much character as my ceramic ocarinas. At full breath in a large room, it has room to echo and sounds really nice, but when I play it in the closet for a short recording, it obviously sounds like a plastic instrument.
Some time ago I have raised the following discussion:
http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/10126683/1/
where the conclusion was, that the sound is much more dependent of the form than the material of the ocarina. I was asking if someone has compared the plastic AC to clay AC from Focalink, as it seems to have the same form. But I see that you already took participation in the topic :)
Edited by yordan, 10 Jul 2017, 11:13 PM.

LillyDragon
Member Avatar
*sips tea*
yordan
10 Jul 2017, 11:12 PM

http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/10126683/1/
where the conclusion was, that the sound is much more dependent of the form than the material of the ocarina. I was asking if someone has compared the plastic AC to clay AC from Focalink, as it seems to have the same form. But I see that you already took participation in the topic :)

Yes, I was a part of the topic too. c: The discussion there is a good read, as well.

So I'm confused all the more knowing that. My plastic soprano sounds adorably chipper, you wouldn't know it from a ceramic one, while the plastic alto sounds slightly plastic-y? Once this cold I have has run its course, I want to be sure it's just me missing some nuances of ocarina playing. I am still a beginner, so mistakes are bound to happen.

Besides that, it's a pretty solid plastic ocarina. Still sounds like it should in an ideal environment. (Or larger than a closet, anyway. :grin: ) I'd totally recommend it or the Osawa to people. And now because of kissing's video, I can recommend the Odami too. It looks and sounds cute.
Edited by LillyDragon, 11 Jul 2017, 06:24 AM.

yordan
Member Avatar
total amateur
Since two days I have a second Focalink AC. This time in summer orange :focalinkorange: . The thing is stunning. I blame this topic for this purchase. Should not go in Gibson forums soon... should not go in Gibson forums soon... sh......
Edited by yordan, 14 Jul 2017, 11:22 PM.

windsofskye
Beginner
@kissing awesome musical talent. Got myself an night by noble like many others, thanks to you earlier revision of comparison you had posted on youtube before, which led me to look into the night by noble more, and to be honest I think it was one of the best purchases I done last year.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Performances · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ