Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Vibrato; Advice?
Topic Started: 8 Jun 2008, 08:15 PM (9,033 Views)
Elven Spellmaker
Member Avatar
== Cirno -- Opinionated Baka ==

Pro Tip: Don't learn Karl's "Goat Vibrato" XD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vermin
Member Avatar
O·ca·ri·na - pla·ying - an·droid
His Goat Vibrato?

BTW, Kissing said a long time ago that diaphragm vibrato is very hard on reed isntruments, but for some reason, it's the only kind of vibrato I can use on my clarinet...
I seem to be completely incapable of using throat vibrato, though that's because I probably don't know how it works...
Edited by Vermin, 26 Sep 2010, 09:58 PM.

Frozen
Member Avatar
The Black Knight
Holy ****!
I never knew how to do a vibrato. I always knew how it should sound, but not how it feels, and how its produced.
I did not have the breath control, and the experience (I´m a guitar player).
I tried a lot by myself, but it just didn´t come out.

Yesterday I read through this thread, and I thought about what Sir James Galway and other people said.
Today I tried it, and after less than ten minutes I got it. It just clicked. I understood it, and it was there. I´ts still sloppy, but now I know how it works, how it feels, and I can work on it, to get better.

Thank you all, I´m just so happy about this right now! ^^

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Here is a summary of vibrato issues as they apply to the recorder:

http://www.recorderhomepage.net/vibrato.html

Nearly all of that applies to the ocarina, with only a few adaptations for different fingerings.

ContraMuffin
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist
I have difficulty forming vibrato on my Focalink double AC... When I sing I can hear bits of vibrato scattered about here and there and I think I know how it feels. My ocarina doesn't create this feeling since it's pretty low-breath so I can't relax my throat as I could when I sing. And I'm not sure, but I'm getting the feeling that since I have a low-ish voice, I find it harder to make a vibrato on higher notes.
OK Small update: I hear a vibrato in my ocarina playing now. Pretty unstable and pretty hard to recognize but it's definitely there.
The thing I found that gives me the vibrato is the abdominal position. Try gasping deeply, then holding your stomach where it is mid-gasp. Your abdominals should be somewhat flexed, and your stomach should be somewhat caved in. Release your breath (since gasping makes your shoulders rise too much) and try to get your stomach where it was. That's I find the most effective position for me to form vibrato. Since I am no expert on vibrato, and indeed, have just figured out how to make it, I will continue to experiment and figure out exactly what makes vibrato.
:ocarina:
Edited by ContraMuffin, 28 Aug 2016, 01:16 AM.

EriChanHime
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 4
Thank you for all the great discussion and resources here. I have vibrato when I sing, having been trained for several years, but it developed naturally, and I'm not having any luck applying that to my ocarina playing.

I will start practicing some of the flute vibrato exercises and see if they help. I'd love for my sustained notes to sound less like a whistle. :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina Playing Techniques · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ