Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Takashi Triple review (will update w/better sound sample)
Topic Started: 1 Jun 2017, 05:28 AM (361 Views)
Ari
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I've had my Takashi triple for almost a week now, and thought I would share some insights I've gained on it since then. If anything changes, I'll definitely go back and edit this post.

Pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/av0ceshhm7hlszh/AABVZwRoYT2AaKOfhcuTNCR2a?dl=0

Brand/Maker, Style and Number of Holes:
Takashi ocarinas are made by Kuolong Pan, who works in Taiwan. The Takashi Triple is a transverse triple ocarina that has 21 holes in total (not including tuning holes). Mr. Kuolong used Osawa-style fingering on the second chamber at my request.

Looks:
The Takashi Triple is a beautifully crafted triple. You can tell just by looking (even more so when playing) that much attention was put into every little detail. For example, there are grooves where the subholes are, as well as a very shallow groove where the thumbhole on the second chamber is. These allow for easy access, particularly for the right thumbhole, which lets you comfortably play the high C. As for color, mine is white with smoke-firing, which I absolutely love. The patterns on the back of my ocarina almost look like flowers, which I find really cool. The word "Takashi" is engraved in hiragana on the backside of the ocarina.

Size:
It weighs 400g (0.88 lb), and is 16 cm x 12 cm (roughly 6 in x 5 in). It is not at all uncomfortable to play, though I had to get used to the shape of it in addition to chamber switching after playing the same ocarina for so long.

Holding and fingerhole placement:
Though this is my first Takashi ocarina, I truly believe that all his ocarinas are created with all the player's needs in mind. The fingerhole spacing is perfect, even for someone with small hands like me. Though my hands are small, my fingers are slim and long; with these things in mind, I had no trouble holding it at all. It's very comfortable to play and I can practice for two hours straight without my hands getting tired. It took some getting used to the Osawa fingering style, but I now prefer it to the fingering on the STL Zelda Double. The mouthpiece is also well spaced and lets you switch between chambers with no difficulty.

Tuning and Pitch classification:
This triple is tuned in the key of C and is classified as an Alto C.

Range and Sound Quality:
It can play A4 to G7, which is one note shy of three whole octaves. As such, you can play a wide variety of songs; you can even play most an octave higher if you want. The sound quality is amazing, as expected. The sound produced is clean, pure, and round (imo, the ideal Asian ocarina sound). My BWP AC ocarina is louder and has the same pure tone, but is slightly more bright and crisp in quality. As such, I prefer my Takashi for slower, melodious songs and my BWP for faster songs. That's not to say the Takashi can't play fast songs well, but I prefer a more defined sound for fast-paced songs. The chamber balance is excellent, and the second and third chambers play just as beautifully and clearly as the first.

Demonstration of the Ocarina
https://youtu.be/iT8lKEwS2ss

I just got a new mic, as my old one just wasn't cooperating and my brother wanted one for gaming anyway, so I gave it to him. I'm still experimenting with it, and so I hastily recorded a sound sample. Hopefully it can somewhat do this wonderful ocarina justice. The high notes on the second and third chambers sound airy in the recording, but this is just my lack of practice, as this is my first triple and I'm getting the hang of switching between those chambers (along with meeting the breath requirement).

Bags, Songbooks & other Extras:
The ocarina came with a blue, drawstring cloth pouch with cherry blossom designs on it (which I find pretty). In addition, I received an ocarina CD with multiple tracks on it and a fingering chart.

Information and purchasing:
You can purchase Takashi ocarinas here: http://www.pankuolong.url.tw/wocarinas.htm

Using Google Translate, the website was fairly easy to navigate and ordering was simple and straightforward.

My ocarina cost me $426 USD, including shipping. It is listed as 12,000 TWD on his website ($398 USD), so shipping was quite expensive. However, it arrived within three days after being shipped, which is pretty fast for international shipping.

Purchase experience and Customer service:
Buying from Mr. Kuolong was a pleasant experience. He replies to emails quickly and is polite and informative. He answers any questions you may have and can customize the ocarina within reason. It took him about a month to make my triple, and arrived three days after shipping (I live in the US). The ocarina was shipped on Wednesday and arrived on Saturday. I would definitely buy from him again (and I probably will, haha).

Summary:
This ocarina was quite pricey, but the quality more than justifies it. It's now my favorite ocarina, though I do still love my BWP AC. Takashi ocarinas are already known for setting bar high, and for good reason. I love the tone and playability of my Takashi triple, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested. I honestly can't find any cons for this ocarina, other than the high price tag. It's a lovely Asian ocarina that is definitely suited to my tastes. I'm still practicing to get the hang of using it, particularly with the second and third chambers. When I improve and get my new mic set up, I'll upload better sound samples.

If I missed anything or you have questions, please feel free to bring those up!
Edited by Ari, 1 Jun 2017, 06:43 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shenanirina
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2
My Takashi AC triple is one of my main, go-to ocarinas. It really is a finely crafted instrument! I'm glad you're enjoying yours :)

Kytt
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
WOW that is a beautiful ocarina :love: The more I see of these up close, the more I'm determined to own one...

Edit: Did you have to request anything special for those beautiful floral effects? Yours is the only one I've seen like that!
Edited by Kytt, 13 Jun 2017, 02:54 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ari
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Yep, I definitely think that you should go for a Takashi if it's in your budget! Also, I didn't request the floral patterns. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised!

Kytt
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Ari
13 Jun 2017, 05:09 PM
Yep, I definitely think that you should go for a Takashi if it's in your budget! Also, I didn't request the floral patterns. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised!
Just sent him a message, since I know I'm gonna have a little extra $$ at the end of this month! ;) I'm excited to see how it turns out! Since I've started looking into these more, I've seen a lot of really beautiful patterns that have come out of his smoke-fired process!

Is there any scent with his smoke-fired ocs? The only strawfire ocarina I have smells pretty strongly, even months after I first got it. These look different, so I was just curious.

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
You actually can't copy the patterns. The pattern is one of a kind every time so getting one with a cool affect like that is always neat. There is no smell that I have noticed. He finishes over it in a clear lacquer so it's not quite like the smoke fire you see at other places. I have a double and it's also my go to lol.

Ari
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Like Kae said, there's no smokey smell. Also, it's good to hear you put your order in! Are you getting a double or triple?

Kytt
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Ari
13 Jun 2017, 07:28 PM
Like Kae said, there's no smokey smell. Also, it's good to hear you put your order in! Are you getting a double or triple?
Double! I think it'll give me enough range without overwhelming me (relatively new to the ocarina in general, this will be my 4th -- and my first multi-chamber.) I've looked into the range of a double vs triple, and it looked like most pieces could be played on a double, so that'll suite me just fine, at least for a long while (here's hoping).

Ari
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Good call. I definitely agree; you can play the vast majority of songs on a double. My first ocarina was a double, and there was never a time where I felt the range was insufficient. In any case, I'm sure you'll love your double. Mr. Kuolong Pan's work is top-notch. :)

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
I play a lot of songs from anime and video games and the double has been enough for almost all of the songs. I think if you were to go a more classical route you may think about the range of a triple but that said the double definitely is enough for me.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ