Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Looking for a TAC expert :)
Topic Started: 15 May 2017, 12:12 PM (320 Views)
bigray
Transverse Ocarinist
I've made this thread because I'm tired of trying different ocarinas to find the one I like. Is there anyone who has tried a lot of TACs and knows all the good brands?

I am looking for one that sounds like this songbird oot double. See attached.

https://imgur.com/a/sZ4Oe

I love how it plays but I hate the fingering and want it in a triple. Ideally I'd want osawa fingering.

If you really know your ocarinas but don't know the songbird oot double then I'm happy to post this ocarina to you for free.

Thanks
Edited by bigray, 15 May 2017, 08:57 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

LOL that oc looks oddly familiar

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I hate that ocarina, lol.

Takashi Triple (upon request), Stein Exclusive, and of course Osawa's triple would give you the fingering.
Ray Triple is similar but a little different. The second chamber subhole gives you D instead of Eb.

Imperial City Ocarina is much better than Songbird, imo, and you can also customize it to have the Osawa fingering. Actually, that'd probably give you the best bang for buck, since they are nice instruments.

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist
@kissing lol oh does it now? Ummmmm Na this isn't yours, it's the other songbird double I have 🙄

@mark - I've got other songbirds but this one is definitely different. I can't find a ocarina that has the tone richness that this does. I'm not looking for better than songbird or reviews. I just want someone to hunt down a TAC that has the same tone as this.

Ive got a takashi double already but it's slightly airy (I don't mean airy in a bad way, just different texture). I'm worried the exclusive would be the same because it does require a lot of breath and I'm not ready to throw $100s at it.

Ive heard 50/50 reviews about ICO so im not sure.

Another thing about the songbird is that it is not breath sensitive and i can get the note right as soon as I blow in it. Or maybe it's super sensitive and my breath was made for this hehe

Anyway as I said, I'm not looking for a recommendation or alternatives. I just want someone to say 'this is the closest you will get to the sound and playability of the songbird double.'

Maybe durian can make one? Lol

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist
Sorry for double posting...

Kissing or mark - would you be able to forward this to someone? There's gotta be someone in the network that's 'tried them all'??

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I suggest posting in the ton Facebook group.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
bigray
17 May 2017, 12:37 PM
Sorry for double posting...

Kissing or mark - would you be able to forward this to someone? There's gotta be someone in the network that's 'tried them all'??
Mark Chan probably comes close to being someone who has "played them all". He's been to the Budrio Ocarina Festival. Jiaxing China for the Fengya Ocarina Festiva, Korea for the Hong Seong Festival and to Texas for the US Ocarina Festival. Recently he visited Hans Rotter's Ocarina Musikhaus where Hans has a collection of nearly 8,000 ocarinas.

Mark's recommendations are trustworthy as long as you keep his preferences in mind. I like a softer blowing ocarina than Mark does so I have to take that into account when he posts his impressions about ocarinas. If you have any doubts about an ocarina, just ask him. :grin:

ProbablyNot
Inline Ocarinist
I have the songbird double oot. I also have an ICO triple alto G (with the osawa fingering and custom higher breath). Its not a TAC, but I figured I'd try and compare them over some of their shared range. I'm not that great with comparing sounds ( so take this with a grain of salt) but I thought they sounded pretty similar. As far as playing goes I'd say they each have their own different quirks.

When I ordered from ICO I spoke a lot with Bill and found him very helpful in getting my ocarina. He might be worth contacting and speaking with. It could be helpful.

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist
ProbablyNot
17 May 2017, 09:34 PM
I have the songbird double oot. I also have an ICO triple alto G (with the osawa fingering and custom higher breath). Its not a TAC, but I figured I'd try and compare them over some of their shared range. I'm not that great with comparing sounds ( so take this with a grain of salt) but I thought they sounded pretty similar. As far as playing goes I'd say they each have their own different quirks.

When I ordered from ICO I spoke a lot with Bill and found him very helpful in getting my ocarina. He might be worth contacting and speaking with. It could be helpful.
Thanks for that. I can send the ocarina to bill and see if he can replicate it

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
I currently have an ICO TAC in my possession. It's not been 100% tuned yet (don't do that til after I know whether it'll be painted or glazed), but I could try and get a recording of its general sound characteristics? What exactly about the OoT double's sound do you like? What do you mean by 'richness'? I find ICO's to have a 'crisp' tone, less pure (not airy... just not 'sweet'?) :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ