Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How does playing the ocarina help you?
Topic Started: 7 May 2017, 02:10 AM (481 Views)
BigC
Member Avatar
When you're STL, You're STL 4 Life!!!
Playing the ocarina helps me calm down after a rough day and i love it how it's a relaxation tool for me when i get stressed. How does it help you?
Edited by BigC, 7 May 2017, 02:12 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Relaxing is a great benefit, but playing a musical instrument also helps to keep your mind active and healthy. My grandmother was a church piano player for over 60 years. Her mind was sharp with no signs of dementia until she started having strokes at 101 years old (about 1 1/2 years before she died.

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Harp Player
7 May 2017, 03:22 AM
Relaxing is a great benefit, but playing a musical instrument also helps to keep your mind active and healthy. My grandmother was a church piano player for over 60 years. Her mind was sharp with no signs of dementia until she started having strokes at 101 years old (about 1 1/2 years before she died.
I've read that using a musical instrument is great for your health and a large portion of your brain gets used when you play, so constantly practicing and strengthening your mind through music sounds good to me. :)

heike
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
BigC
7 May 2017, 02:10 AM
Playing the ocarina helps me calm down after a rough day and i love it how it's a relaxation tool for me when i get stressed. How does it help you?
Same here. It helps me after work to get stress out of my system, and thoughts which might still linger from work out of my brains. Which relaxes a certain part of my mind, and also helps that I don't need a nap after work ;-) But another benefit is, that by activating another part of my brains, and also by breathing and enjoying, I feel refreshed and re-energized after playing, what a nap not every time helps with.

Another benefit for me is that it brings a new and enjoyable challenge into my life. When you get older, having something that is new, challenging, and also gives you the opportunity to develop new things and have new success experiences (instead of just sticking with what you are just used to do since years, and probably losing brains instead of developing and activating new...) it keeps me young :-)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I actually bought my first ocarina when I graduated from nursing school. I didn't want my brain getting rusty since I wasn't going to be studying for school and there's only so much sudoku I can play before I get bored. :)

Since then, I've found playing the ocarina is not only fun but it has led me to meeting new friends who share my interest. I feel like I know them even though I may not speak the same language or have met them face to face. We are united by this wonderful instrument.

Ocypode
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
I concur with what have been said by others. I think it is capital to stay mentally active, and although I'm already quite active for work and in my free time, I also wanted to explore something completely new. Ocarina and playing music were whole new worlds for me.

Also, I've always loved music and always sucked at it. It was a shame, and I'm happy to tackle with this problem now. :)

BigC
Member Avatar
Plus it's a lot of fun to show your friends and family when you play the ocarina, i even take mine to church with me for praise and worship for our church's special needs ministry.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I have a very hard time with getting distracted, and I find that when I play the ocarina, it's something I enjoy and is both relaxing and exciting.

acyriala
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
Since the ocarina cant be played as quietly as other instruments, I've found that it makes me limit my playing time when I get home and actual play more frequently. In a way it keeps me from burning out by playing too long.

Oh, and since I started playing the ocarina, I've ended up brushing my teeth a lot more often

lanky-lil-imps
Member Avatar
Beginner
I think finally learning and enjoying and instrument has helped me with depression and anxiety.
My dad has wanted me to learn to play an instrument for some time. He tried encouraging me to learn to play piano, violin, and guitar, but those never clicked with me because I found them too complicated. Once I actually learned more about ocarinas and how many people said they were easy to play, i wanted to learn. My dad's a very musical man, so when he saw how passionate i became about the ocarina, i think it made him happier too. We like to play music together, since he plays guitar.

I hum and sing a lot more too. It's pretty refreshing C:

BigC
Member Avatar
Same, my wife started to play the ocarina earlier this month.

cjapples
Beginner
As a a singer, I've been trained to read music a certain way, and playing the ocarina has really helped me understand different ways of thinking about, reading, and understanding music. Also, playing it is just so enjoyable, the music it makes sounds so lovely.

Sir Anodos
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 3
Playing the ocarina definitely helps me calm down when I get really frustrated.

Ari
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Playing the ocarina helps me to express myself. I enjoy playing songs that let me really put emotion into them. From a technical aspect, I've learned to transpose in my head when playing on an ocarina in a different key as well as improving my sightreading. Also, I have fun making my own arrangements. :)

dragon18456
Beginner
Any time you play an instrument, all of your stress and anger just get flushed away and you fall completely into the music.

Then you rage when you play a note wrong or can't get a certain lick in the music

windsofskye
Beginner
For the most part I originally started in the busiest part of the fall semester of 2016. I had music background playing the trumpet all through middle school and high school so some of the transition helped into playing the instrument. I bought it to help me release stress during the crunch time. Got me a night by noble and sits on my desk all the time, just so I can reach other and play for a few minutes before I get back to what I need to do for my schooling and work.

acox
Andy Cox
the ocarina has, with its limited range, allowed appreciation and knowledge of limited scaled music

yordan
Member Avatar
total amateur
I am addicted to distortion guitar sound. I play as well such. Playing also ocarina is giving me the break with one completely opposite sound. And is confusing my friends :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Ocarina Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ