Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Low Breath Plastic Ocarina; quiet and low breath
Topic Started: 2 May 2017, 09:25 PM (424 Views)
ProbablyNot
Inline Ocarinist
I was wondering if anyone knows of any low breath and quiet plastic ocarinas. More specifically something with a breath and volume similar or near to one of Terry Riley's pendants or even a recorder. I've read that the Zin plastic Tenor is quiet and low breath, but a bass ocarina in general is a little larger then I'd like and out of my price range. Thanks in advance for any help.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
Focalink Osawa i plastic. It is extremely low breath compared to every other ocarina I have ever tried. No back pressure, low breath, and quieter.

http://www.steinocarina.com/productsDetail.php?id=312

Ocypode
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
What about the Focalink/Stein plastic SC Osawa - I guess it is not quiet, but how does it compares to other SCs? Have anyone tried it?
I'm interested to try it, but I don't want to blow out my eardrums.

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
It's not quiet, but it actually has a sweet sound and doesn't feel like you're going to blow your eardrums. It's actually a better instrument than the AC. And pretty inexpensive. Others have commented that it's a nice SC.

(I've had both, still have the SC, sold the AC.)

Ocypode
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Thank you for the info, and is it possible to overblow notes on it also? I'll try it, I just ordered on Focalink website

---

To come back on the original subject, there's an alternative: MrMute + a good plastic ocarina.

Advantage: you can play with the mute when necessary or to practice, and its durable.
Disadvantage: it's a very good set-up for condensation, at least with a plastic Focalink (the classic one). Perhaps with the Noble it would pose less problem, since I have read here that this plastic ocarina is less sensitive to condensation.

Also, using MrMute is not necessarily straight forward, and the sound is not as nice as without the mute. But, I find that it helped me practice to have a slightly purer tone (still have work to do on that).
Edited by Ocypode, 3 May 2017, 02:12 PM.

ProbablyNot
Inline Ocarinist
Thanks for the responses.
@Saki:
Thanks. I had heard about the osawa soprano, but was worried about it being too high pitched.

@ocypode:
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have Mr. Mute and the standard focalink alto c. But, I don't like the back pressure on the focalink. I thought about getting the NbN and using Mr. Mute on it, but I figured I'd check for any quiet plastic ocarinas first.

@Daniel:
Thanks, I was worried about the volume especially with a soprano.
I remember reading older threads where people said they didn't like the osawa alto either. What about it didn't you like?

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I don't really remember, unfortunately. Just that it seemed a bit mediocre.

If you're going for quiet, I wouldn't get any SC.
Edited by Daniel, 3 May 2017, 10:44 PM.

Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
Yeah the SC isnt quiet, but it also doesnt hurt my ears to play so that's a plus. I pretty much never touch my AC but I play the SC a lot.

If you dislike back pressure, lemme tell you, the Osawa AC has pretty much zero back pressure. It feels like blowing into empty space.

Ocypode
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
We'll see, for the moment, I live in a place where I have not much risk to disturb my neighbours, so that's why I'm giving the SC a try.

But the idea of MrMute + plastic (or not easy to break) ocarina is interesting for me, because I have to move a lot for work, and being able to practice even in a hotel would be great. I can do that with MrMute I think, but it is slightly more difficult to use with a plastic ocarina, because of condensation. But I'm just getting used to it, so there's certainly more potential in the association MrMute + plastic ocarina.

ProbablyNot
Inline Ocarinist
Thanks for all the information.

@Saki:

Would you say the osawa AC is quiet? The sc and ac are sold together on amazon. The soprano sounds like I might enjoy it and I'd try the AC if its quiet.

Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
It's definitely the quietest AC I've ever played, but it's unlikely you can play it without it disturbing anyone. The only ocarina I can think of that is actually quiet would be like a hind bass inline or something like that.

ProbablyNot
Inline Ocarinist
Thanks for all the information. The alto C seems like something I might like. If I could bother you to answer one more question, how would you say the volume compares to a soprano recorder?

ProbablyNot
Inline Ocarinist
Sorry to bump this thread, just still wandering about the plastic osawa alto c. If anyone knows how does the volume compare to a soprano recorder and do people think earplugs would be needed to play this? Thanks again everyone.
Edited by ProbablyNot, 10 May 2017, 09:08 PM.

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Even though it may be quieter, I doubt it will be as quiet as a recorder. I used to be on a holy grail search for the ultimate quiet ocarina. I pretty much gave that up. I would rather get a really good ocarina, and use musician earplugs/muffs, or mr mute. I mean, I still don't like a super loud ocarina, but a super quiet one isn't all that feasible.

I would recommend going lower than AC (like AG, AF, or BC). If you're looking for plastic, maybe save some more and look into the Zin tenor.

I personally prefer the midrange (like AG), or AC. It's too bad there's no plastic AGs or AFs.

I did hear mention recently that the Langley PolyOc is very quiet, but it's a pendant.

Here's a link of Osawa playing his plastic namesakes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCPljhgB8os

And more
https://youtu.be/Z475tgZBypE
Edited by Daniel, 11 May 2017, 04:36 AM.

ProbablyNot
Inline Ocarinist
@Daniel
Thanks for the advice. Most of the ocarina I play are actually pretty loud and I use ear plugs for them. I was just thinking of trying to find something a little more relaxed that I could just leave out and pick up. I think I might end up taking your advice and saving up for the Zin. From what I've read people seem to really like them.

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
If you're ok with ceramic instead of plastic, you could also try an AG or AF from Imperial City Ocarina and ask for it to be quiet. Bill is awesome to work with, quite possibly the best ocarina customer service there is.

Another option is to talk to Giorgio Cataldi (tytoalba) and ask him to make you a quiet AG (or even AC). I have an AG double, and whereas I was measuring some of my ACs up to around 101 Db, I think that one didn't get over about 96 Db. I think he makes some "super-quiet" ocarinas; you could ask him about those and how they compare Decibel-wise with his "normal" ones.

Ocypode
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
In your case, since you want to avoid the musician earplug, I suggest you try to change the room in which you play.

Rooms with lot of hard flat surfaces, the sound is easily reverberated back to you without loosing much of its intensity. In rooms with soft surface, like sheets, curtains, pillows - a bedroom for instance, the sound is partially absorbed by these surfaces, so it will be quieter for your ears.

ProbablyNot
Inline Ocarinist
@Daniel
For now I'm not looking for ceramic, but thanks for the advice. If I need a quiet ceramic I'll know where to look.
@Ocypode
Thanks for the tips. I generally don't mind ear plugs, I'm just looking for an all around quieter plastic ocarina. I'll probably end up saving up for the Zin plastic tenor.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ