Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Karin Memorial Ocarina Collab; In memory of Ocarina Karin
Topic Started: 30 Apr 2017, 12:53 AM (665 Views)
Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Social Butterfly Ocarinist
Hello everybody:

Some time ago, our ocarina community was met with the loss of one of our own, Karin. A few ideas had been tossed about with how we might be best able to honour her, and the idea of an ocarina collab is the best idea that was agreed on.

Whether you knew Karin or not, this collab is open for everybody who would like to participate.

The song of choice is, "O Danny Boy" (also known as "Londonderry Air") in the key of C major. A traditional Irish song, it was one of Karin's favourites.

Deadline (EXTENDED): Friday, 30 June, at 12:00pm EST (New York/Indiana); the final piece will be posted on YouTube between 5-11 July.
Difficulty: Easy. You can use a twelve-hole alto C ocarina.
*If you have an ocarina in a different pitch and want to participate, then please contact me. :)
What do I need? I've created a backtrack and sheet music for your benefit. All you need is a decent camera, maybe a microphone, and a place to play where you can be heard!
What about tabs? The tabs are separate from the sheet music. Sadly, I'm not as advanced as docjazz4. x_X

For the sheet music, please click on the attached [Danny_Boy_C.pdf] to view and play.
For the tabs, please click here to view tabs for different ocarina models.
For the backtrack, please click here to go to SoundCloud.
*There are two tracks - "Danny Boy C (with notes)" for you to listen, and "Danny Boy C Backtrack (without notes)" for you to listen to whilst recording your video to submit.

What's the best way to record?
~ If you have headphones, then I recommend plugging them into the device that you're playing the backtrack from. docjazz4 frequently puts the headphone wire behind his head; I recommend you do that. :)
~ Set up your camera in a place that's suitable for recording, preferably a quiet place.
~ To submit your video, upload it to YouTube or Facebook (send a link if you do). Or, post your video here. (if you can).

Let me know if you have any questions! :)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Danny_Boy_C.pdf (59.33 KB)
Edited by Reiko Souma, 14 May 2017, 05:19 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stephen Bobchin
Member Avatar
Close the World, Open the Next

Topic has been pinned

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
I just started with TON a few months ago and didn't get to know her but I look forward to working in this to show appreciation for someone so loved in this community!

For this, can it be an ocarina other than alto C, like bass C so an octave lower than written?

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
jordan.1210
30 Apr 2017, 08:19 AM
I just started with TON a few months ago and didn't get to know her but I look forward to working in this to show appreciation for someone so loved in this community!

For this, can it be an ocarina other than alto C, like bass C so an octave lower than written?

Yes, you can use a Bass C. :)
Do you need the melody written in the bass clef to help? :)
Edited by Reiko Souma, 30 Apr 2017, 11:37 AM.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
If I have time I'd like to do something.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Kitten Forest
30 Apr 2017, 01:34 PM
Feel free! You have until basically the end of May if you can. :)

Ocypode
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Excellent idea.
I'm not sure if I be ready for the end of May, but I'll try. I'll have to do that on my Focalink plastic because it's my only 12 holes ocarina, also I'm not used to the subholes.

Edit: stupid question: on the recorded track, you don't expect to have the backtrack, just the ocarina.
Edited by Ocypode, 30 Apr 2017, 06:27 PM.

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
No I don't need bass clef since I can just read the given sheet music (I actually can't read bass clef that quickly since I only play instruments that read treble)

Breakfast Oreos
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
I didn't know Karin but what a nice way to honor her. I'm looking forward to participating.

Gemstone
Member Avatar
more practicing would be nice
Quote:

Same goes for me! I haven't "seriously" recorded anything up to now, so I'm a bit unsure. Also, I'd use 11 hole (?) bass sweet potato.
I'm afraid I didn't really get if the backtrack is for listening or should the recording be ocarina + backtrack?

Best regards,
Carina

CFWhitman
Initiate
jordan.1210
30 Apr 2017, 08:19 AM

Just for informational purposes for anyone who does not realize it. playing this on a Bass C ocarina is actually playing it as written. Music for Alto C ocarinas is traditionally written an octave lower than it actually sounds, just like for the soprano recorder, the piccolo (transverse flute), and some other instruments (since it would mostly be above the treble clef staff for no good reason if written as it sounds).
Edited by CFWhitman, 1 May 2017, 07:06 PM.

Gemstone
Member Avatar
Thank you CFWhitman, that helped me, too.
What's confusing me is there is a low A in the song which I cannot play on my ocarina as it's out of its range. How should I handle this while playing the song, just play the lowest note the ocrina is capable of? (that would be low B, one note above) But wouldn't that sound odd?
Anyway, I'm trying to record something in two weeks and see how it goes :)

CFWhitman
Initiate
Gemstone
1 May 2017, 08:37 PM
Thank you CFWhitman, that helped me, too.
What's confusing me is there is a low A in the song which I cannot play on my ocarina as it's out of its range. How should I handle this while playing the song, just play the lowest note the ocrina is capable of? (that would be low B, one note above) But wouldn't that sound odd?
Anyway, I'm trying to record something in two weeks and see how it goes :)
I'm assuming you have an ocarina with only one subhole, like an inline or an 11 hole transverse ocarina. Playing the lowest note your ocarina is capable of (the B right above the A) wouldn't sound good. You could play a harmonic of the A, and that at least wouldn't sound horrible, but when it's a melody, it wouldn't really sound right either. Still it might be the best you can do with the ocarina you have available. There are parts of the tune that don't go so low, so it's possible that only parts that you can reach comfortably on your ocarina would be edited in from your recording. Usually collaborations switch around from one person playing to another as they go through the song.

wAllop1
Member Avatar
Professional novice
Do we need to have video or can it just be audio?

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
wAllop1
1 May 2017, 11:14 PM
Do we need to have video or can it just be audio?
A video is preferred, please.

Breakfast Oreos
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
So to be clear, our video should have ocarina only, no backtrack, but we should be listening to the backtrack via headphones while recording, right?

Gemstone
Member Avatar
Thank you for your advice.

Quote:

I'm assuming you have an ocarina with only one subhole, like an inline or an 11 hole transverse ocarina
That's right, I got an eleven hole ocarina, at least I was told it counts as that :grin:

Quote:

You could play a harmonic of the A, and that at least wouldn't sound horrible, but when it's a melody, it wouldn't really sound right either. Still it might be the best you can do with the ocarina you have available
I'm afraid I have to ask how I can do this? I'm not sure what you mean, but if that's going too much into off-topic I'll send you a PM.
Edit: I found this link here (for flute), I'll try this if it applies to the ocarina, too.

Quote:

There are parts of the tune that don't go so low, so it's possible that only parts that you can reach comfortably on your ocarina would be edited in from your recording. Usually collaborations switch around from one person playing to another as they go through the song.
I guess it would be odd if I just record parts of the song? So I could also record the whole song and you take out of it waht sounds good? Or is it better for you if I record and send/upload only the parts of the song I chose?
I'm sorry for the many questions :O

@Breakfast Oreos, that's how I understood it, at least.

Best regards,
Carina

Edited by Gemstone, 2 May 2017, 08:11 AM.

CFWhitman
Initiate
Quote:

I'm afraid I have to ask how I can do this? I'm not sure what you mean, but if that's going too much into off-topic I'll send you a PM.
Edit: I found this link here (for flute), I'll try this if it applies to the ocarina, too.

That link is not really very applicable to fipple instruments like the ocarina. On a transverse flute you can change the overtones produced by a note by varying the way the air stream hits the labium with your embouchure. You can't do as much of that on a fipple instrument because the air stream is directed by the fipple toward the labium. Regardless, Miss Fuller is talking about overtone harmonics, which are related to what I'm talking about, but since you don't have a low A (and ocarinas don't produce a lot of overtones anyway*; that's part of what makes them unique), you can't vary the overtones by how you blow the A at any rate.

The Wikipedia page on harmonics is more relevant. A harmonic of a tone is a tone that doesn't produce dissonant waves with it. The most obvious harmonic of an A is another A (like the A above), but this may not be the most preferable note to play. The second most obvious harmonic of an A is an E (a perfect fifth above; technically, this is an octave below the actual harmonic, but it works), which implies a chord and may sound better than jumping a full octave. In either case, as I mentioned, it's not really going to sound right in the melody (but as part of a harmony or backtrack, a harmonic will fit right in as long as it doesn't overshadow the melodic note).

Quote:

I guess it would be odd if I just record parts of the song? So I could also record the whole song and you take out of it waht sounds good? Or is it better for you if I record and send/upload only the parts of the song I chose?

Well, I'm not really involved in this, so that would be a question for Reiko Souma. Either she, or someone she selects will be doing the editing. I imagine it will be someone with a lot more experience with editing than I have. I suspect that recording the whole thing as well as you can would be preferable, but I don't know that for certain.

*(Tubular flutes produce overtones because a series of harmonic pitches can all resonate to different degrees within the same length tube, while non-harmonic pitches will die out immediately. Vessel flutes don't sound different pitches because of the length of a tube, but because of the volume of the vessel and its relationship to the surface area of uncovered holes, as well as the velocity of the air stream. They work because of Helmholtz resonance, and it is a lot more complicated than that, but those are the most relevant factors to playing a vessel flute. Helmholtz resonance tends to emphasize only one tone and not its harmonics, which is why overblowing doesn't work as well with ocarinas as with tubular flutes.)
Edited by CFWhitman, 2 May 2017, 03:53 PM.

Gemstone
Member Avatar
Thank you very much!

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Basically, what I do when I can't play a certain note because of the range of my ocarina, I play either up one octave or down one octave. It doesn't sound quite right but at least it will be in tune with the music.

So, if you cannot play the A3 on your ocarina because you don't have the second subhole, just substitue an A4 or just go silent when that note comes up in your music. Once they edit everybody's video submissions, it won't get noticed, or whoever does the editing will just not use that segment in the final cut.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
I will answer everybody's inquiries as soon as possible. :)

One thing I can say right now, I have selected somebody who will be helping me with the editing. :)

EDIT: To admins, I apologise in advance for double-posting. I can't quote multiple people simultaneously on my phone and don't know how to combine my double-posts easily. :(
Edited by Reiko Souma, 3 May 2017, 12:28 PM.

Reiko Souma
Member Avatar
Breakfast Oreos
2 May 2017, 03:43 AM
So to be clear, our video should have ocarina only, no backtrack, but we should be listening to the backtrack via headphones while recording, right?

That is correct. :) Come editing time, we will add the backtrack in with the final video.
It's simply available for your convenience. :)
Thank you for your advice.

Quote:

I'm assuming you have an ocarina with only one subhole, like an inline or an 11 hole transverse ocarina
That's right, I got an eleven hole ocarina, at least I was told it counts as that :grin:

Quote:

You could play a harmonic of the A, and that at least wouldn't sound horrible, but when it's a melody, it wouldn't really sound right either. Still it might be the best you can do with the ocarina you have available

Quote:

There are parts of the tune that don't go so low, so it's possible that only parts that you can reach comfortably on your ocarina would be edited in from your recording. Usually collaborations switch around from one person playing to another as they go through the song.

@Breakfast Oreos, that's how I understood it, at least.

Best regards,
Carina[/quote]

Phew! I have free time now and am trying to combine this into one big post to avoid posting multiple posts in the same thread.

So, Gemstone/Carina, from what I understand, you have an ocarina that's only eleven holes and doesn't reach the low A. Basically, you have the option of harmonising. There is one other who I'm working on a harmony part for so that they can record their part. I can do the same thing for you too, if you don't mind messaging me the details of your ocarina's range? (Lowest note to highest, as well as type of ocarina - Alto C, was it?)

EDIT: The collab's deadline has been extended to the last day of June.
Edited by Reiko Souma, 14 May 2017, 05:20 PM.

Ocypode
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Phew, the extension of deadline is great news! I am almost playing the tune without errors, I still need to polish the articulation and be able to play over the backtrack... And that's much more complicated than what I anticipated. As soon as I listen to the backtrack, I start mixing everything up.

I never had any doubts of being a beginner, now I even have proofs :/

Also, is the tune with a Soprano C interesting for the collab.

Last thing, I won't be able to do a video, I was thinking of sharing my recording through Soundcloud, I don't have a Youtube or Facebook account and I'm sure I don't want to see my face anyway :)

Gemstone
Member Avatar
Quote:

So, Gemstone/Carina, from what I understand, you have an ocarina that's only eleven holes and doesn't reach the low A. Basically, you have the option of harmonising. There is one other who I'm working on a harmony part for so that they can record their part. I can do the same thing for you too, if you don't mind messaging me the details of your ocarina's range? (Lowest note to highest, as well as type of ocarina - Alto C, was it?)

I'm sorry that I didn't see this up to now, I'm going to send you a message. :)

Hope that's pkay, thank you for extending the deadline, I'm not sure if I can play with the backtrack, hop it works :o

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina News and Events · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ