Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What to use as soundtrack?; What sounds good and is legal to use as a back track to performances?
Topic Started: 21 Apr 2017, 12:12 AM (149 Views)
Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I don't know if this is the right place to put this question, but I have found a new song I want to do a cover of.
Last time I did a cover of a song from pop culture, I used the official karaoke track on the iTunes version of the OST. For songs that don't have official karaoke verisons, or even if they do, what would be best to accompany the ocarina? I know fans transcribe most songs on Musescore, but I'm not very good at playing piano to play what other people wrote. As a general idea, if I can't find a soundtrack, should I get a synthesizer to play sheet music (with permission from the arranger of course), download a version from YouTube, or play the chords behind it on piano? Is it legal to download karaoke tracks from YouTube to use in videos?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nafaei
Member Avatar
A figment of your imagination...
I make pretty much all of my arrangements on noteflight.com, and if I can't play all of the parts myself, I download a midi/mp3 versions of the audio directly from the site. Noteflight is super cool because you can create sheet music and audio tracks at the same time, it has a very simple interface, and it's all in browser. Hope this helps :) are there any songs in particular that you're looking for?

Edit: Added a hyperlink to the website.
Edited by Nafaei, 21 Apr 2017, 05:28 PM.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I was thinking of doing the Yuri!!! On Ice opening. I found sheet music on Musescore. https://musescore.com/user/2128391/scores/3207281
I like this arrangement, but I was thinking I could do the chords on melodion and skip all the fancy stuff.

carbon
Lurker
Youtube exists in a kind of legal gray area. Copyright holders often claim videos and profit off of them, so if you don't mind the copyright holder monetizing your video, it should be ok. They do have the right to issue a takedown and a strike, though that is becoming more rare as Youtube offers more monetization options.

For backtracks, there are a few options. I'll include a video example link for each type.

1. Official Karaoke/Instrumental tracks are great. They're more rare than other options, though some artist release them. Some can be found on youtube and some can be bought with ocarina CDs. Sojiro, You Xue-shi, Cris Gale, STL all do this. Sojiro ones typically don't have any reference ocarina, You Xue-shi and STL have a faint ocarina sound you can hear (that can be overly loud). In some cases an artist or composer might even ask to use your track in a compilation: Example1 example 2
2. You can take midi files and convert them to audio via soundfonts via a daw/vsts/synthesizer - or use straight midi converted to audio (sometimes sites have them). example
3 . Find an instrumental version like fingerstyle guitar and playing over that as backing. Example
4. Record your own backing or collaborate with a musician for backing. example1 example 2
5. Play without backing or create an ensemble version example
6. Finding another cover and asking to use their backing. (could be any of these)

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
You technically infringe on copyright when you post covers at all unless you do the right formalities. A couple of bigger cover channels were shilling for some kind of supposedly easy, cheap service for people who do covers. It was mostly advertised as video game musicians life saver though. I don't remember the name unfortunately. Maybe somebody hear knows the answer.

EDIT
Pretty much all my covers where claimed, even though my channel is practically invisible. It even automatically claimed my Moonlight Sonata video because you can copyright recordings of classical music.
Edited by Gyzyn, 22 Apr 2017, 11:34 PM.

carbon
Lurker
There was a service called Loudr that offered rights management for selling audio recordings, but youtube is a different kind of license and I don't know of any service that does that. I do know that some networks will run interference, but generally it isn't necessary.

I think with Youtube as it is now, the rights owners (and some erroneous "pretend" owners) use content ID to make claims. I know Cris' channel gets false positives from time to time on public domain stuff, and for the stuff that's owned - it isn't a big deal for the content owners to make money off of it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ