Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
  • Pages:
Important News Regarding Security; All TON members: Please Read!
Topic Started: 3 May 2008, 05:57 PM (4,690 Views)
TheOcarinaNetwork
Member Avatar
TON Staff Account

Dear members of TON.

The following information may shock you and cause tension.
However the administrating and moderating team have decided that it is best to tell the truth on the matter based on the evidence we compiled, since this entire forum was violated, and therefore its members. It is just way too serious to stay quiet about.

We have tried to provide this information as honestly and objectively as possible.

Part 1: The crime

We recently discovered that there was a hacker in the Admin accounts since the public launch of TON. We discovered two unfamiliar IP addresses, making some serious changes in the Administrator control panel, when apparently none of our administrators did such a thing. Here are snippets of some of the action taken place by the offending IP addresses (24.28.150.127 and 75.58.162.240) in the admin log:

1. In kissing's account:
Click to view
note: a change has been made to tanandika's account. tanandika is an admin for TON and stevtomato's friend who works behind the scenes. The hacker with IP address 24.28.150.127 had changed his password using kissing's account to be able to use it.
We believe the hacker with IP address 24.28.150.127 was able to get into kissing's account by figuring out his password. kissing's old password was an ocarina-related word that could be guessed. It can be assumed that the hacker had known kissing for some time, perhaps from OU (please read on, and it will make more sense).

2. In tanandika's account that the hacker had changed the password to and was able to freely access:
Click to view
note: he deleted someone's account. This is quite a big deal..
update: it was Spencer Register's account that got deleted. I apologise to Spencer Register for the inconvenience of having to re-register several times after being deleted by the hacker.

3. In theocarinanetwork's admin account:
Click to view
Some very serious changes made there. And we see the introduction of a second unidentified IP address: 75.58.162.240 ).

Notice how it unsuspended an account that we suspended.
Notice: Spencer's account has been deleted again by the hacker. He really doesn't want Spencer to be on TON..!

A quick IP search on the internet yielded the following locations for the hackers' IP addresses:

Spoiler: click to toggle

San Antonio Texas and New York. Locations where none of our admins and moderators are from.

At this point, the admin team were very disturbed and worried about TON. The gravity of the situation was tremendous, to have hackers freely in the administrator accounts and able to make changes to the forum. The hackers ultimately had the power to access all our data in the Admin discussions section of the forum, change all kinds of settings, accounts, and even ERASE our entire forum with just a click of the mouse. In fact, some offending and invasive actions have been taken by the hacker (that we have amended now). As for the accounts the hacker deleted, we can't really do much about it.

Upon doing a search of the offending IP addresses in the memberlist, the following results were yielded:

Two accounts with the same IP address as the hacker. What the hacker had done using the Admin account was to edit the permission masks set for those two accounts above to be also able to function as an admin.

Our security had been completely compromised.... This caused a great deal of stress for the admin team, who had worked so hard for TON.

And this is where things start getting really interesting and important (thank you for having the patience to read this far. Please read the rest, it is very crucial information).

Part 2: The Investigation

We noticed that one of the email addresses in the offending account "ocarinafan" has the domain @my.utsa.edu. It turns out that UTSA is the University of Texas, San Antonio - the location of the IP address 24.28.150.127.

Out of instinct, one of the Admins decided to go do a bit of detective work on a possible suspect, and accessed his MySpace blog. There, in the realm of MySpace, the Admin found the following comment:

This confirmed that docjazz4 attends UTSA - the location and university domain which the hacker IP 24.28.150.127 is located in and used the email to register. This is not hard evidence at all, but it did open our eyes to the suggestion that there could be some kind of connection between him and the hacker.

Docjazz had written an email to the entire TON Admin and Moderator team on the day TON went public. Now we did not want to expose the contents of this email to the public, but such breaches to our security calls for it:

On the day TON went public, Docjazz4 was also given the link to our forum.
He wrote us an email then that he read the posts made in the Admin discussion part of our forum, which was restricted to moderators and admins. He said that one of our own had provided him with the information he saw. This caused us to be stirred up and wonder whether one of our own moderators or admins was a mole/traitor against us.

Then we tracked the IP address on Docjazz4's email:

Click to view

We got an exact match

THE IP OF THE HACKER IS THE IP OF DOCJAZZ4

Update: We have identified the IP 75.58.162.240 to be another IP used by docjazz in some emails:

The only intention of us revealing this information is to offer the evidence we have found regarding the recent breaches to our forum. Our security was greatly compromised, and it has been a stressful time solving this case.

As astonishing and extremely shameful this news may be, we felt that it was important to let our members know the truth of what has occured at the forum and how TON was manipulated and was under surveillance by the offender.

The offender has willfully hacked our forum's security, right down to the accounts of the admins, and has attempted to give himself administrator rights on this forum for his own intentions. Security actions have been taken, such as having passwords changed and the banning and blocking of the offender's account and IP address.

It is likely that he will retaliate by publicising the information he wrongfully stole from the restricted Admin discussions of our forum (you can see in the email snippet that he threatened to reveal the posts we made on OU and a video). But frankly speaking, we do not care, because it will only prove that he stooped so low as hacking and trying to manipulate our forums, and threatened us about our personal and private discussions that he should not have been looking at in the first place.

Yours sincerely,

The Ocarina Network Administration.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I am removing my articles, guides, tabs, and other gathered data from Ocarinas United.
Goto Top

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
This. is. unbelievable. Reprehensible. Disgusting lack of ethics and sportsmanship. Wow. I'm still reeling a bit. Of course, if we confronted docjazz4 with his actions he's deny them, probably saying something like 'oh someone hacked into my account'. I am so disgusted I can hardly think. I'm very angry that he would try to make OU the only source of fresh, new music for the ocarina. What happened to those words of goodwill when TON opened?

This is so mean spirited and childish I want to :slap: the culprit.

Where will the admin team go from here? Is this type of hacking illegal somehow? Maybe we could press charges? And just a question, how secure are the inner workings of this board? (Admins if you'd like I have a friend who knows quite a deal about computers/programs and could probably give us a checklist of stuff to do.)

I have only been on both boards for two days yet I already favor TON over OU. I see no reason why the twain can't co exist peacefully, but it's obvious he thinks otherwise. So out of protest, principle and disgust for docjazz4's actions, I will not contribute to the OU community. I will not post my (future) sheet music on OU and in fact will have a honking big link in my sig towards TON. :TON:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I was disheartened before with this...

and "Yes this is a PM on OU." and "No. I did not ask his permission to post it."
Goto Top

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
This is unethical and just sad really, it's sad someone would stoop this low... :(

It is a major breach of privacy, and I really did not expect this of him.

I mean how much disrespect for others can you have? :angry:
Offline Profile Goto Top

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Moonsyne, it is true that some of the "evidence" he saw could have been interpreted in the way he said. In the private discussions that docjazz4 was (wrongly) able to view, we were having a very carefree and lively discussion about docjazz and the OU forum.

But this was because we were all friends in the Admin discussion. As close friends, we felt comfortable to make wild jokes, but the main focus was to co-operate to express our beliefs at OU to stand up to the injustice we were seeing. Sadly it seems as though standing up for what we believe in, and having a different opinion than him was unacceptable and horrible to him.

It is interesting that docjazz believes he can blackmail us with this "evidence" of his. No one in the admin/mod team is intimidated, believe it or not :lol: I'm just afraid it'll do himself or a certain company more damage, considering the sensitive nature of the information there. ;) As far as he is concerned he thinks is OU, but his members (or ex-members now) were not :unsure:

:TON:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Was't it unethical enough that people were "asked to leave" OU for something that they did OFF of OU? Then had that enforced by ISP banning?
Goto Top

Mikael
Member Avatar

I'm still shocked that he would actually go this far. Notice he deleted Spencer Registers account here on TON. He obviously don't want this forum to blossom. He wants all the ocarina makers at OU but not at TON.

@ Moonsyne's PM from Docjaz - We were not "asked to leave". We were in fact banned from OU and thrown out of the OU youtube group, preventing any interaction with OU. This is not to politely ask but to remove by force. The so called "evidence" he gathered was private discussions about our (TON staff) concerns about ongoings in OU.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

OMG! How many people did he do this to?
I only found out when I asked Myung about her tabs on OU not loading.
Goto Top

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Ridiculous. We should contact all ocarina makers and invite them to have an account here. Offer translation service, etcetc. Thumb our noses at docjazz4's actions!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

The entire Admin and Mod team at that time got banned. :|
Goto Top

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
Moonsyne
May 3 2008, 07:53 PM
OMG! How many people did he do this to?

The entire Admin and Mod team of TON, you can see our e-mail adresses in the screens Kissing posted.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

...and I am the only MOD added after?

Docjazz cut the heart out of OU and spit on it, didn't he? :(
Goto Top

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
Moonsyne
May 3 2008, 07:59 PM
...and I am the only MOD added after?

Docjazz cut the heart out of OU and spit on it, didn't he? :(

Yes.

It really is so sad, I almost feel sorry for him for being such a sad person...almost...
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm sad that 99% of the people on OU are clueless to what went down.
Goto Top

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

edit:

we were all deleted or banned.
mostly deleted...which is actually even worse :|

ps: I wouldnt be surprised if I wake up next morning to find docjazz with some brilliant cover-up, or a video to make us seem bad instead of him. Gathering up the fanboys/fan-girls. :ph43r:

Well he does have a legion of 4000+ subscribers...
BTW: some of us are blocked from his youtube account too :rolleyes:

pps: the even more disturbing thing for me is, if he knew my TON password, he would have known my msn/email password. he could have been reading my emails all along... :unsure: very very disturbing.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
mightyicecream
May 3 2008, 08:21 PM
BTW moonsyne, looking at your new siggy at OU,  thats not intirely true, for some ridiculous reason only Myung's IP got blocked  :blink:  the others are still able to look around as a guest there... just thought id mention that..

Ohw and yeah I just assumed that it was an IP block, but I think it's because I had cookie settings to keep me logged in. So I think if i delete my cookies I will be able to atleast view OU but I guess I'll still not be able to log in...T_T....I don't know how to delete cookies, ifail...[size=1]all this talk of cookies is making me hungry[/size]

Sorry about the IP block assumption, you know what they say about assumptions :|

kissing
May 3 2008, 08:27 PM
pps: the even more disturbing thing for me is, if he knew my TON password, he would have known my msn/email password. he could have been reading my emails all along...  :unsure: very very disturbing.

I really feel bad for you Kissing, this just sucks soo bad -_-
Offline Profile Goto Top

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

I just recently discovered that the account that the hacker was deleting was none other than Spencer Register's account.

I sincerely apologise to Spencer Register for having to re-register three times, because he kept being deleted by the hacker :(

And I think it was very foul for the hacker to try block makers, like Spencer, from accessing our forum!

There is also an unidentified IP in the banned list that none of the admins so far admit to banning it. So we unban it for now :unsure:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I thought it was odd when Spencer said he had to register three times.
Goto Top

tuneofwind
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
I can hack back if u guys want :evil: :evil: :evil: :poke:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Why? We're all here! No need to stoop to that level. B)
Goto Top

Mikael
Member Avatar

tuneofwind
May 3 2008, 07:02 PM
I can hack back if u guys want :evil: :evil: :evil: :poke:

I can't tell if you're joking or being serious :excited: But that's not our way of dealing with this
Offline Profile Goto Top

spencer's ocarinas
Beginner
Glad to know I wasn't going crazy. That is some impressive detective work, guys. Sherlock Holmes and Batman would be proud.

Strange world. =/
Offline Profile Goto Top

ImmortalOffspring
Member Avatar
One with the floor
If the moderator team was banned off of the OU forums.....

Then I'll remove my account to show my support to the moderators. All this evidence seems solid enough, even though I do not want to believe it, as David seemed like a nice enough guy. But delete you off the forums? That's such a low blow. He's lost me as a subscriber and as a member of OU.

Besides, TON is fast becoming my favorite forum.

Edit: There, I sent a PM to a moderator asking if he could remove my account at Ocarinas United. I've also unsubscribed to his Youtube channel now.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Nonayourbeeswax
Member Avatar
Loves The Bagpipe

Post Deleted.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Even if Docjazz did not gain access himself, but was given access by a Follower/fanboy who had nothing better to do than guess Kissings password all day, he still accessed the admin panel on TON. However he justifies it in his mind as 'one of our own' betraying us, doing so is as morally wrong as accepting stolen goods. That is just the best case scenario!

Just like whoever modified my 'By Location Guide to Shipping' to change STL delivery information. It's Dirty Pool.
Goto Top

Aryah
Member Avatar
bard ♫♪
/sigh. Many of you guys who've moved to TON from OU I liked, I liked your tabs/sheets, your ocarina playing skills, that you shared your knowledge and were helpful, and just all around cool people. That's why I came here, and because I really just wanted a community for people into ocarinas, where I could listen to them play, continue to improve my own skills (hopefully some day get my own videos up :P lol), which OU has been more... well a lot less about ocarinas lately.

But you know, I've never liked drama, it is one of my biggest pet peeves. I'm not a Docjazz fanboy (fangirl? /shrug), and am not really an STL ocarina fan either, but he never seemed like the kind of guy every one seems hell bent on making him out to be.

If he's living on a campus, then someone else could have easily used the same computer with the IP address, zeldafan and ocarinafan sound similar to the names of that annoying guy on OU (don't remember his name, Lonestar or something? I mostly ignored his posts).

I mean seriously, if this crap keeps up I'm gonna just not participate in any online ocarina community, I make it a point in my life to AVOID drama of all kind, I like living a stress free life (hey, it's healthier too :P)

So.. I dunno, I guess I felt I needed to get that off my chest... I don't know who's lying, I don't know who's telling the truth. You can provide me with all the "evidence" you want (same goes for Docjazz) but my gut tells me that this is just more drama. And unlike a lot of other people, I don't believe something just because someone else tells me to...

I'm sad to see that this is still going on, I hoped TON could be the ocarina community OU was meant to be....

I do disagree with some of the things that go on at OU, but if TON is just going to be a OU bashing place and drama hell zone, then I can't be here either :(
Offline Profile Goto Top

Awells88
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
Moonsyne
May 4 2008, 04:02 AM
Just like whoever modified my 'By Location Guide to Shipping' to change STL delivery information. It's Dirty Pool.

I did edit the shipping for OU to $8 in the US because STL came on and posted the info. Was only trying to help if that is the edit you were talking about...

Concerning Docjazz being a hacker, I havent jumped to any conclusions. like Aryah wisely stated, I am not going to start gossiping about stuff i AM NOT sure about. Though the evidence seems heavily weighed against Docjazz. Like I have said, I am not on anyone's side, I try to strive for peace. I have talked to to docjazz on the phone, on IM, emails and would consider myself to know him decently enough for him not to do this, but stress can have a major role in actions. Some times people snap.
From what I have gathered, he's really stressed with work and all the stuff going on in his life now (wont go into detail). Though I wouldnt like to put up a shield saying he is exempt from responsibility BECAUSE of these things. We are all responsible for our actions.

If it is him who did this, I will continue to be AS MUCH of a friend to him as I have been. Continuing to talk and pray with him.

If it is NOT him, I will applaud him for being able to handle everything all at once.

Either way, I will continue to approach situations with the other side's view point in mind and CONTINUE to try and obtain that view point so that I may better understand everyone's situation.

What a mess we humans make... ;)

-Andrew
Offline Profile Goto Top

speckles
Member Avatar
I’ve been hypnotized

kissing
May 3 2008, 06:54 PM
And I think it was very foul for the hacker to try block makers, like Spencer, from accessing our forum!

Besides Spencer, how many other makers were blocked? :o
Offline Profile Goto Top

Turbo852
Member Avatar

This is very shocking news. I hope the truth does not lie in the direction that the evidence points.

These forums are separate and they should remain so. They may share members and even topics, but they should not fight. Doesn't this one exist to prevent fighting?

I guess everyone who are admins should use really secure passwords in the future. What's done is done. If it's been fixed, there is no need to continue any conflict.

I joined this forum because it was also about ocarinas. I wondered about people not being able to go to OU. I never understood what the reason could have been, especially when I searched OU to see if they had been arguing against the administration, but I didn't really find anything. It is really surprising, but then again, not really considering this is the internet.

I've seen worse. Much worse on various other forums. I once was a member of a forum that was deleted by a former member who felt the forum had deteriorated from its former glory and it was his duty to cleanse it. Everything was lost. I'm glad that didn't happen here.

I guess I am surprised because the ocarina world at first glance seemed like such a peaceful place.
Offline Profile Goto Top

stevtomato
Member Avatar
The Splattered Tomato

Imagine how surprised was I to find out all of those auspicious activities in our ACP. Let alone hearing from the rest of the people about what they have found out.

I hope people understand that we have been deciding really carefully about revealing these information to The Ocarina Network members. On one side of the argument, we have security breach happening and we thought that the public needs to know because, however unlikely it is, any accounts could be hacked.

On the other hand, this is a really disturbing information that will definitely affect not one, not two but many people. We also thought white lies such as concealing this fact could be tolerated for the sake of a more peaceful community.

We, however, made a decision to tell the public about it and voila.

I must add that this would be the last discussion/post about David and OU that I will approve of. I do not want to see this forum to break down like how OU did. In my opinion, this forum is now on a really significant and confusing time. On top of that, it is a time of growth and construction. Many things will occur to try to break this forum apart, but I hope that we can avoid that.

Aryah, I do agree with you. If I was not connected at all to this incident, I wouldn't care about all the nitty gritty details about the drama. That was also one of our concern when deciding on whether we should reveal this information to the members of The Ocarina Network or not.

Other than that, I urge everyone to stop assuming. I mean, STOP assuming what had happened to anything. What I mean is that, even this is based greatly on an assumption. But this is not a risky assumption because there are just way too many evidence supporting our hypothesis.

We admit that we had done a bad thing "badmouthing" David and the activities at OU behind his back. But as Sam had already explained, those are friendly conversation amongst us close friends. The same when I call Gassner (DeMaulwurfn) Gaspoo, or Bas, Bus. I do agree they are more extreme than what I have done to my friends, but there are no evil thoughts added to any of those comments.

Other than that, I really do hope that people will not base their judgement on OU and David based on this issue. This is not an attack to OU. This information is shared because I believe this concerns our forum and members.

I hope this issue with OU ends here because I really want to coexist with Ocarinas United.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I feel that the concealment of the truth caused the tension I was feeling,
and with them exposed that tension is gone.

I can now forget about it and get back to the ocarina.
Goto Top

stevtomato
Member Avatar
The Splattered Tomato

That is also why we think that it's best for every1 to know it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Aryah
May 4 2008, 04:08 AM
but if TON is just going to be a OU bashing place and drama hell zone, then I can't be here either :(

This is not the case.

The purpose of this whole post is just to inform you guys about this issue and the whole work we put into figuring out who the hacker is.

The original purpose of this forum was to create a place that is different from OU, with different rules and a different atmosphere so that everyone could find the forum with the guidelines and atmosphere he/she likes the best.
It was never, at no point about competition or bashing Docjazz and Ocarinas United. We always wanted to coexist peacefully.
One of the first things we thought about was how we'd manage it to coexist with OU - the forum was only 1 or 2 days old at that point of time.

I'm sure we made some mistakes and Docjazz made some mistakes too, I'm sure he'd admit it.
After we've been politely asked to "withdraw" from OU, we thought this whole issue would be over, no contact with Docjazz etc. - just peace.

But it seems that we've been wrong - we're just worried about your safety and security.
Goto Top

ImmortalOffspring
Member Avatar
One with the floor
I will try not to assume, but everything that might be a coincidence or a set up aside, David still read the posts on your admin forums, which is a breach of your privacy. That will be as far as I'll go without any solid evidence.

I know, I know, I wrote in a previous post that I thought this was solid enough evidence. I need to be less rash.

I have to applaud our moderator and admin staff for the handling of this whole situation, though. You admit to mistakes, and you carefully think about what is best for the community, even though it involves "hushing" down things. It makes me like this forum even more.

I really hope that this situation will cool down shortly and let us return to what this whole forum really is about, the love of Ocarinas.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
ImmortalOffspring
May 4 2008, 12:32 PM
David still read the posts on your admin forums, which is a breach of your privacy.

I really hope that this situation will cool down shortly and let us return to what this whole forum really is about, the love of Ocarinas.

Well said :music:
Offline Profile Goto Top

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Aryah
May 4 2008, 04:08 AM
/sigh. Many of you guys who've moved to TON from OU I liked, I liked your tabs/sheets, your ocarina playing skills, that you shared your knowledge and were helpful, and just all around cool people. That's why I came here, and because I really just wanted a community for people into ocarinas, where I could listen to them play, continue to improve my own skills (hopefully some day get my own videos up :P lol), which OU has been more... well a lot less about ocarinas lately.

But you know, I've never liked drama, it is one of my biggest pet peeves. I'm not a Docjazz fanboy (fangirl? /shrug), and am not really an STL ocarina fan either, but he never seemed like the kind of guy every one seems hell bent on making him out to be.

If he's living on a campus, then someone else could have easily used the same computer with the IP address, zeldafan and ocarinafan sound similar to the names of that annoying guy on OU (don't remember his name, Lonestar or something? I mostly ignored his posts).

I mean seriously, if this crap keeps up I'm gonna just not participate in any online ocarina community, I make it a point in my life to AVOID drama of all kind, I like living a stress free life (hey, it's healthier too :P)

So.. I dunno, I guess I felt I needed to get that off my chest... I don't know who's lying, I don't know who's telling the truth. You can provide me with all the "evidence" you want (same goes for Docjazz) but my gut tells me that this is just more drama. And unlike a lot of other people, I don't believe something just because someone else tells me to...

I'm sad to see that this is still going on, I hoped TON could be the ocarina community OU was meant to be....

I do disagree with some of the things that go on at OU, but if TON is just going to be a OU bashing place and drama hell zone, then I can't be here either :(

Aryah, I really do agree with you on that we would love to have a forum about ocarinas :) We would love for TON to be like as you described, and it will be. But before we can do that, we need to deal with these important matters.

Trust me, I am very sick of all this "drama" :(
However this incident is different.
It is not just another "controversy" as it has been up til now.

Most "drama" up til now were merely expressions of opinions towards each other - there was no illegal or questionable actions, but simply clashing opinions.

However this incident is a forum breach, whereby our admin accounts have been hacked, putting the privacy of all members of this forum at grave risk.
This changes everything, and we made the decision to deal with it in an honest and objective manner.

The only thing we know for sure is that the IP address of the hacker was exactly the same as the IP address of docjazz4's email, and that he was recently able to access our restricted admin forum. This might not prove it was him who hacked our accounts for some people, and you are all entitled to reserve your judgment and opinion. But it is all the admin team needs to make this public announcement and take necessary actions to inform our members of a serious event that happened to their forum. We would make this notice no matter who it was - any malicious attacks like this to our forum would have been dealt with in the same way. The fact that our evidence appears to point to docjazz is in some ways irrelevant.

It was no attack against OU or docjazz4, or an attempt to cause more drama.

I hope you understand that this incident is focused on protecting the TON forum, not to bash docjazz or OU. To be able to move on and do the things we truly love to do, such problems in our security, and the evidence we have found of the offender had to be dealt with. A mess had been made by the offender - we are working very hard to clean it up so TON can be the lovely place it's supposed to be.

Regards,

Kissing :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

stevtomato
Member Avatar
The Splattered Tomato

Hmm, well I guess there is always at least two sides in everything.

I just hope that we can soon close this topic because no one has taken interest in this anymore.
Offline Profile Goto Top

flip
Member Avatar
"the switch"
I have a friend. He used to be my best friend. The thing is...I caught him lying to me, and he began to hang out with people who were dragging him down and those people really didn't like me. So, instead of confronting him and explaining my feelings, I stopped talking to him, believing that he had betrayed me.

That was four years ago. Just a couple days ago, he contacted me. I was still so angry...and he was angry too, but he still wanted to work through the problem. He didn't even think there was anything wrong with our friendship....and then I stopped talking to him. We were best friends, and I shunned him.

So now...we are working through the problems. Do I still think he wronged me? It doesn't matter. It's in the past, it's over. I won't require him to apologize to me (though he already has, before he knew why I walked away), but I have apologized to him. It hurts and it is scary. I still don't know what is going to happen.

The thing is....is that he took the high road and wanted to work through the problem, but I had walked away. Now that I am talking to him, we can work through what happened and make amends.

"Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all."

I will hope and pray reconciliation will take place.
Offline Profile Goto Top

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Regarding IP addresses and school networks, I don't know if this happens on all school campuses, but nowadays more and more IP addresses are locked to your physical MAC address. Which means, on my campus for instance, the IP address is unique to each computer/laptop.

However, I too agree with what's been stated that there's nothing more I'd love to do than to have the two forums coexist peacefully. I feel at the very least docjazz4 should offer sincere apologies for reading what was in a restricted forum. Privacy is a serious business on the internet. Just because you have access to restricted information not meant for you doesn't mean you have to take advantage of it. It's called morals/ethics. :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

This incident does not affect the relationship between TON and OU.
We will exist peacefully in a friendly manner.

Afterall, the members are what makes a forum - and it is the voice of the members that matter, not flawed actions of one person.

This incident is related to TON's security and the person suspected of the offence.

While Docjazz might be the creator of OU, this doesn't mean he is OU and represents the combined view of its members. Afterall, forums are a place of diversity - how can there be a single dictating spokesman for such a community?

Just as our "private" discussions in the Admin discussions, before TON went public, do not reflect the view of TON as a whole, we believe that the actions and intentions of the offender does not reflect the view of OU.

I for one have nothing anything against OU. We loved the place as it provided a place for ocarinists to unite and discuss their passions. I did, however, have serious issues with how the forum was being governed and how I, and others, were being treated for having a different opinion.

The purpose of providing the information in this topic was not to cause conflicts or more tension between communities - but to inform the TON community with information of the crime that was committed against us, and evidence related to who is responsible.

It was a big surprise and disappointment to us. We were absolutely astonished as you were. But it's something that happened, and we cannot change that. As a serious threat to our forum, we saw it fit to address it to our members as honestly and objectively with the evidence we had.
Offline Profile Goto Top

teidon
Double Ocarinist x 2
Some major changes are going to happen at OU sometime soonish, unless things/plans change.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Taking a break from Signature requests
Is the evidence 100% concrete that is was DocJazz? If he's been using a college computer dont forget that they're not the most secure...my university account was hacked lots of times several years ago by a guy who had bizzarre 'stalking' thing for me, read my emails, logged into my chatrooms ect...he posted some horrible pornographic emails to several of my friends using my accounts!! Euw! It could just as easily been someone who *doesn't* like DocJazz who did this. I'm not defending what happened, just that we need to look at ALL angles and possibilities here, before jumping to concrete conclusions and 'verbal lynchmobbing'

I is really really *reallY* upsetting me that stuff like this is going on between to two forums, I was hoping there would be peaceful coexistence...but it seems that's not going to happen...especially when there is an individual (or more) who is stooping to a level like this...which is the lowest common denominator. Utterly rehensible, this reflects so badly on both sides...someone is trying to start a war, please don't fall for it. Rise above things like this! Don't let whoever did this start a war between the forums, that was obviously their aim in doing this!

We need to remember that we're here for our love of beautiful ocarinas and music, not for politics! I hate the politics and the stress and drama, it's upsetting for all concerned. It makes me so so sad.... This is not what the ocarina represents! To me the ocarina is for relaxing, peacefulness..getting back to nature, an ancient instrument of our ancestors, and the beauty of music.

Stuff like this makes me want to stay away from both forums, which I really don't want to do. I love the ocarina community and everyone in it :(

Dont let the individual who did this WIN...please.

*sad*

Offline Profile Goto Top

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Hello DeepRed :)
I hope you don't mind if I offer my opinions based on the facts about your post.

While I agree with you that it would be best for us to all get along again and talk about the main thing - ocarinas - I think you're neglecting some very important issues, and don't appear to have been reading the responses thoroughly before making a post.

Here is my attempt to try clarify the situation :)

Quote:

Is the evidence 100% concrete that is was DocJazz? If he's been using a college computer dont forget that they're not the most secure...my university account was hacked lots of times several years ago by a guy who had bizzarre 'stalking' thing for me, read my emails, logged into my chatrooms ect...he posted some horrible pornographic emails to several of my friends using my accounts!! Euw! It could just as easily been someone who *doesn't* like DocJazz who did this. I'm not defending what happened, just that we need to look at ALL angles and possibilities here,

I appreciate your optimism about docjazz's innocence. I really do hope he is innocent too, because it is indeed, devastating news.
But here are the facts that we currently have:

*Docjazz has had access to restricted areas of the forum (Admin discussions), where he was clearly not allowed to be at. We know this to be concrete fact, because he sent us emails saying that he read it, and he even made a comment on a youtube video admitting to have read things on our Admin discussions and chats. There really is no "other angle" to this matter.

*The two IP addresses that we have found to belong to the offender at our forum matches the two IP addresses that is commonly used by docjazz. One IP match is already enough, in my opinion, but now we have two matches. This also fully explains the point above on how he was able to access the restricted forums that he should not be acccessing.

Yeah sure, there are other possibilities, like the scenario you described. But if we're going to be that open minded about the possibilities, seriously how can we be sure of just about anything?

Quote:

before jumping to concrete conclusions and 'verbal lynchmobbing'

In my opinion, I think you are the one jumping to concrete conclusions. There was no unjustified "verbal lynchmobbing" on this topic. The posts made here, as far as I can see, are very valid statements based on events that really happened.

The events that have happened is a real cause for outrage. I think the members here have been expressing their opinions in a civilised and fair manner.

Indeed we do seem quite bothered in the posts - but only because there is real reason to be. There are no false accusations or unnecessary hype being made here. This is as real as it gets, and this current issue is a very serious one.
Please understand the gravity of the situation at TON.

Quote:

I is really really *reallY* upsetting me that stuff like this is going on between to two forums, I was hoping there would be peaceful coexistence...but it seems that's not going to happen...especially when there is an individual (or more) who is stooping to a level like this...which is the lowest common denominator. Utterly rehensible, this reflects so badly on both sides...someone is trying to start a war, please don't fall for it. Rise above things like this! Don't let whoever did this start a war between the forums, that was obviously their aim in doing this!

This topic is not a political one. It regards the security of TON as a response to a very serious incident where our security was breached. If you bothered reading the other posts made above, you may have read that this event does not affect the relationship between TON and OU. The only reason why this topic is becoming "political" is because of posts like your's that misses the whole point and shows that you don't understand the situation fully.

In no part of this topic or this forum is there a suggestion that we have the intention of having some kind of war. Please consider the situation for what it is before jumping to such conclusions. We are handling this devastating attack against our forum as objectively and sensibly as possible.

No one is losing their temper. We are speaking against real injustice that is really happening.

Quote:

We need to remember that we're here for our love of beautiful ocarinas and music, not for politics! I hate the politics and the stress and drama, it's upsetting for all concerned. It makes me so so sad.... This is not what the ocarina represents! To me the ocarina is for relaxing, peacefulness..getting back to nature, an ancient instrument of our ancestors, and the beauty of music.

Stuff like this makes me want to stay away from both forums, which I really don't want to do. I love the ocarina community and everyone in it sad.gif

Dont let the individual who did this WIN...please.

*sad*

I think we can all agree that no one enjoys these kind of problems.

But the current event where our security was breached is different from anything that has happened before. Our security was breached, and everything that holds this forum together was put at stake.

Hacking into the admin board of a forum is a very, very big deal. I think it is for everyone's interest that the problem is dealt with, in order to do the things we love.
At the moment, the evidence is overwhelming - and I think you are in a serious state of denial. This is my opinion on things based on the facts we have.

I hope you are not offended by my opinion - but this is a forum where everyone is allowed to freely express their opinion :TON:

Regards,

Sam
Offline Profile Goto Top

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Just think, hacking into the admin section = hacking into White House computers. Would you not be outraged if someone pointed some missiles at random countries after hacking into the national defense system? To those to whom TON is their baby, and definitely the admin board, this is analogous to what happened (imo of course!).
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · FrontPage News and Official Announcements · Next Topic »
Locked Topic
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ