Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ocarina Hacking; Hacking my ICO DAG mouthpiece
Topic Started: 16 Apr 2017, 01:48 AM (197 Views)
Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
So, I just made my ICO DAG much more playable. No matter how loose or tight my lips, I found it hard to chamber switch.

So I took some steel wool (first started with fine which didn't help, then moved to very coarse) and scrubbed the mouthpiece (especially the edge). Now I can move back and forth so much more smoothly. The irony!

I think leaving the mouthpiece with no finish at all by default would make it easier to play. The smoother the mouthpiece, the harder it is to switch, it seems to me. Either no finish, or put something in the finish to rough it up a bit (like I've seen on the tips of some chopsticks).

Just some thoughts and feedback :)

ICOs are great btw :)

(Pic attached. Not sure how well it shows up; I don't have a fancy camera ;)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: image.jpeg (130.38 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

spoonyspork
Member Avatar
L'il Tooter
Funny how different people experience multi chamber so different. I absolutely can't switch chambers on an unfinished ocarina. Even shellac is just too sticky to switch. It's what inspired my own ocarina hacking :)

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I wonder if it has anything to do with lip moisture (or lack thereof) and/or texture? Could be an explanation. Where is our resident biophysicist? :)

Comrade_Derpsky
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
I would think that the optimal texture of a mouthpiece would be smooth but not polished texture. If it's too smooth, you end up creating small points of suction which act to increase the friction and make your lips stick to the surface more. It needs to have just enough surface irregularities to prevent suction action but not too much that it causes excessive friction.

heike
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
I had a problem chamber switching with a double, my lips were always sticking to the shellac finish. It seemed to react extremely to even just a bit moisture. I removed the lacquer around the mouthpiece and waxed it instead, now it works great for me.

My triple with shellac finish never sticks that way. Don't know what the difference was.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Ocarina Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ