Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Composing?; I know the topic title is lame...
Topic Started: 29 Apr 2008, 07:50 AM (8,127 Views)
Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I think of the ocarina as resembling a bagpipe: limited range, limited dynamic variation, but an assertive attention-getting sound. But it gives better control of pitch than any bagpipe: you can finger most semitones, and by slight variations in fingering or breath pressure you can tune them microtonally.

The Armenian duduk (or Azeri balaban) is probably the closest parallel to the ocarina among instruments with a long-established repertoire.

For creating the illusion that the ocarina is doing the impossible, look at Cyrille Mercadier's arrangements of things like a Vivaldi recorder concerto. He's done an amazing job of folding the melodic line into the range of his ocarina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EWD680zxmU
Edited by Jack Campin, 2 Aug 2013, 02:56 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tiramoney
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Those are some awesome points. I've recently become pretty fascinated by microtones and what one can do with them. I think the ocarina would fascinate a lot of 20th century composers if they learned more about it, and that is one of the biggest reasons as to why.

I also find recorder repertoire to be quite suitable for the ocarina. One piece I'm working on is a Handel recorder sonata. I can't say I know much about recorder (I didn't go to one of those cool schools that made you play them as a kid) but the tones often get compared when I show my music friends the ocarina. The bagpipe comparison is also really interesting. Totally different sounds, but totally similar in those ways. Maybe analyzing some bagpipe rep could teach us a lot about how to treat the ocarina when composing. Interesting. :)

P.S. That Vivaldi video is awesome. Bookmarking that gem.

GansoChico
Member Avatar
The Ancient One
Tiramoney
2 Aug 2013, 07:40 AM
Hey hey. Newbie here reviving this thread again. :)

I've become very interested in ocarina composition lately. I take composition lessons at school and I really hate the stereotype that the ocarina is a toy. I think it has a ton of unique capabilities that make it worth composing for in its own right. However, having only been playing ocarina seriously for a few months now, I'm not quite sure of all of those unique qualities! So I'm reviving this thread to ask: what are qualities of the ocarina that are unique and would justify calling a piece an ocarina piece (as opposed to a piece for any instrument) that come to mind for you?

Some that have come to mind throughout my time playing ocarina are these:

-Timbre
-Ease of pitch bending
-Woodwind Harmony (some models, at least)
-Unique blend with other instruments (which I guess is a part of timbre, but whatevs)

I plan to start writing for ocarina once I get done with the projects I'm currently working on. :) Also, forgive my ignorance if these traits aren't all that unique. I'm inexperienced with other woodwinds, but I will have some hands-on time with them in class soon!
I guess if you want to disprove the myth that the ocarina is a toy you're better off with music that is a little techinically challenging and shows the ocarina's entire range. Just a thought.

Tiramoney
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
For sure! I feel like people should know everything something can do before judging.

Sillademadera
Member Avatar
Beginner
I don't know the cause of this, but sometimes I play this types of songs, normally I invented this while I'm walking on the street or on the nature, and when i arrive at home, I try to transmite my whistle for play with mbira, ocarina, or another instrument.
For the moment i upload a little bit, but every month, I will upload more music.

Caminando por la ciudad

La ira del tornillo

I don't have some resources, and this is only some ideas, but i'm planning get a good mic and a good resources for to get better my audios.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Performances · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ