Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Composing?; I know the topic title is lame...
Topic Started: 29 Apr 2008, 07:50 AM (8,319 Views)
stevtomato
Member Avatar
The Splattered Tomato

Hey guys,

I think the Ocarina is mostly playing transcribed pieces, either from songs, or from other instruments.

I think we need some serious new music! Don't you think? Get some original Ocarina repertoire! =D

I know some have composed for the ocarina, but I find that some of them are pretty much like as if they are transcribed too. But then, that is the qualities of pop music.

So for those who can and wants and dares to compose, start composing and post them in here!

I am a composer (that doesn't mean my music is good, better or the best) and I will happily take a look at them. Like I have done with Kissing's (which is promising, but erm, the harmony were too all over the place, I couldn't set the harmonies right... xD).

Practice makes near perfect.

Go ahead and gather the new music for the ocarina! =D

For those who wants to post music here but wrote for other instruments (like the piano, or a band, or an ensemble) can do that! =D Feel free to post any type of musics here!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Turbo852
Member Avatar

Well, I've composed quite a few songs, and several for the ocarina.
I had a topic for them at OU, so I guess I'll just transfer it here.

See them here.

I can't claim them to be any good, but I had fun making them.
Really what I did was play some improv on the ocarina until I found a tune that I liked. If I found that I could still remember how to play it the next day, I'd write it down as a song. Others were just improv songs that I recorded and recently notated. Song 13 was started from notating what I played. A few parts of it were written in Noteworthy Composer without having been played first.

I would really appreciate any comments that you could give on them. I know there are a lot though, so don't feel overwhelmed. Luckily, most of them are really short.

As for using music theory when I compose, I really only try to use it sometimes.
I did take a music theory class in high school, but I haven't used it for most of my songs.

stevtomato
Member Avatar
The Splattered Tomato

Well music theory, if you do it and absorb it and let it sink into you, will help you great deal! You will automatically use it in your composition as it will be hard to not use it.

Argh, I'll reply more later... busy

IchibodCrane
Member Avatar
Needs to be on more often

I've never really written any songs, but I do like to improvise. I would like to write some songs, but I'm crap with writing music down on paper.

Turbo852
Member Avatar

You should try using computer software. It makes it easier because you can delete something you don't like quickly, or you can change a note and play it back to see what it sounds like.

I use Noteworthy Composer

It's pretty easy to use in comparison to some others I've tried.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I've made tunes before (I should dig them up) but never for the ocarina.
Quote Post Goto Top

stevtomato
Member Avatar
The Splattered Tomato

Yay, then try writing for the Ocarina! And using softwares, that makes things easier =D And neater too =P

Too bad there isnt midi ocarinas, if there is, you can use flexi time input ad input it straight to the computer for it to notate xD MIDI OCARINAS FTEW

flip
Member Avatar
"the switch"
I wonder if a guide on the basics of composing would be helpful. To be honest...I wouldn't even know where to begin. Maybe I just need to practice more, but what do you all think?

Deleted User
Deleted User

stevtomato
Apr 29 2008, 11:22 PM
Too bad there isnt midi ocarinas

My keyboard plays ocarina ;)
You can definately tell the difference though.
Quote Post Goto Top

stevtomato
Member Avatar
The Splattered Tomato

What I mean by midi ocarinas is the ocarina itself is midi xD
Your keyboard is a Midi Keyboard =P

Basics of Composition? Hmm, that would be a great guide to write xD although it is hard. Composition can be technical, and it can also be creativity (well mostly).

All your composition teacher can teach u is the technical side of it. Like contrapunctal, harmony, texture, structure, pitch, rhythms, modes, some compositional techniques and stuff. But other than that, it's all creativity!

Some music also sounds better than it is, whereas some music is better than it sounds.

Nonayourbeeswax
Member Avatar
Loves The Bagpipe

stevtomato
May 1 2008, 09:06 PM
Some music also sounds better than it is, whereas some music is better than it sounds.

If it sounds good to people doesn't that mean that that is good?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Naw. The masses like repetition over creativity *cough* Pop *cough*
Quote Post Goto Top

Turbo852
Member Avatar

I guess it's subjective. There are probably some technically amazing musical pieces that probably don't sound that great and vise versa.

stevtomato
Member Avatar
The Splattered Tomato

Many popular music is crap musically, artistically, aesthetistically and also technically, etc. I am also talking about classical popular music here.

There are some music that just sounds soo nice but it doesn't have any or little value, I am not going to name any composers but even great composers have the so called "slightly worthless music."

It's not that it's worthless to be heard, it's just very easy to the ears and it doesn't make you think or etc.

On the other hand, the music of some people are technically really beautiful. But when yu listen to it, it sounds crap. Some of Wagner's music is like that. Or Schoenberg, if you listen to this man's music, you might think he is mad and is crap at comopsition. But technically, he's a genius.

This then goes back to the two types of music: music that appeals to the senses and music that appeals to the intellect.

I see a potential great debate topic.

Sine
Undercover Ocarinist - Double-Oc 7
And if ever there was such a great debate, I will be the one to ask, "Why can't music appeal to both?" :P

I've had this tune in my head for a while now and I'm planning on writing it down. Should I post it here? I'd love to hear how other people interpret it. What format should I post it in? :huh:

I mostly improv. When I sit down and actually compose, I have to have the instrument with me as I write the notes down as I stagger through the melody. But when I do that, I lose my 'feel' for it, and it becomes a purely intellectual process.

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Please post it! We'd love to hear. :) I'm guessing.. midi format at the very least? You could post two items at once, sheet music that you composed from Noteworthy Composer, then the midi file that Noteworthy Composer came up with.

I completely understand what you mean. I often come up with original songs when I sing, but if I try to write it down it's all out the window. Guess some things are meant to be unwritten? :music:

Turbo852
Member Avatar

Yeah, when it comes to actually writing it down. It can be hard. If I can't write it down, I try to record it quickly and then see if I can write it down through trial and error later.

Sine: I'd love to hear your song! Post it in picture form and midi form if you can!

stevtomato
Member Avatar
The Splattered Tomato

Sine, you're right, I forgot about the third and fourth one, the one that appeals to both intellect and senses. The fourth one is music that appeals to nothing at all... basically pure junk XD

But again, that depends on the listeners!

The best way is to host both in sites like photobucket (for the sheet) and ripway (for midi). Then put them here =D

Muhaha.

Sine
Okay! Finally going to write some stuff down! It is a new year, after all.

Does anybody have any recommendations for composition software to use? I have some ancient staff paper stored away, but I'm looking for some way to digitize them. I could scan my notes, I suppose, but it seems my illegible handwriting has somehow managed to infect my note-writing...

Any ideas? I used to use Finale Notepad, and before that it was Noteworthy. But what else is out there?

stevtomato
Member Avatar
The Splattered Tomato

Well, if you are willing to pay, Sibelius 5. I use Sibelius 5 myself and I think it's prettier than the scores that Finale produce.

Be warned that Sibelius 5 cost a lot.

MuteCivilian
Member Avatar
" "
I use Sibelius 5 too and it's great.

Though it is expensive so if you're only going to write occasionally or just starting out writing you might want to try Sibelius Student. It's a good way to introduce you to Sibelius and when you're ready to upgrade you won't be so overwhelmed.

If you do go for Sib 5 it helps to have a friend who is still a student so you can get the student discount (cuts the price in half!)

Sine
Hrm... Sibelius seems like a bit much for a hobbyist like me, though. I'll look into it anyway, though.

stevtomato
Member Avatar
The Splattered Tomato

Yeah, it really is quite powerful. Not in terms of the sound produced, but the overall look of the score.

Great to know that you are a Sib5 user! I really don't get why people want to use Finale!

MuteCivilian
Member Avatar
" "
There are sound libraries sold separately that Sib5 can use. I think Kontakt is one of them. But really if you're going to get that serious into MIDI sequencing you might as well write the score first and then use a program like Digital Performer to get a good realization.

gemiknight
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
I am a small-time, amateur composer and do plan on composing for the ocarina. I'm self-taught, but do have a basic knowledge of music theory.

Whenever I get something composed, I will definitely share it!

Oh... and I use freeware called MuseScore. It's got its bugs, but it's very versatile for being freeware!

Ocarikun18
Member Avatar
Secret Dream Hunter Extraordinaire
How does it work? What features does it allow? I use the free version of Finale, but because of some of the quirks, I'm looking for another good composition program, and freeware is always a good thing.

gemiknight
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Ocarikun18
31 Mar 2009, 05:57 PM
How does it work? What features does it allow? I use the free version of Finale, but because of some of the quirks, I'm looking for another good composition program, and freeware is always a good thing.
It's fairly similar to Finale Notepad, only you can do more when it comes to key changes and time signature changes. I mean, it takes a little bit to figure stuff out, but it works. and you can export your music into a pdf file, which is rather handy!

but like i said, it has it's bugs. sometimes, if you go a little crazy changing time signatures, the software somehow won't detect it. and you have to try to manually fix it. but it's better than putting in the effort to notate the music freehand.

Here's a sample of a piece I notated. You might notice some of the bugs I was talking about (in the middle of the piece some bar lines were placed wrong), but it's still freeware.

Eru-annion
Beginner
I'm studying how music and melody is written and all the ways emotion can be put into it, and i've already composed some that's quite simplistic. I'll give it a go to gather and compose some more songs for the ocarina, and once I get an ocarina :P i'll post up recordings, sheet music and TAB!!

You don't mind if I do that? :thumbsup:

Turbo852
Member Avatar

I look forward to your compositions Eru!

FlyingPotato
Member Avatar
d^.^b
im sure i can get my friend to compose some peices but i wouldnt count on it... but i shall post them if he does :D

stevtomato
Member Avatar
The Splattered Tomato

I've composed a few for the Ocarina... Including the now infamous SWW2 for some close friends.. xD no one wants to play it coz it's hard -.- only Mikael would play it. Even kissing doesn't wnana play it.. I guess it doesnt sound as good as the effort needed to learn it.

I just put up a reorchestration thread too :D

Turbo852
Member Avatar

I tried playing your songs Steve. They sounded good, but I'd need a lot of practice if I were going to try to make a video for them.

SpencervdM
Member Avatar
Resident Japanologist
stevtomato
14 Jan 2009, 02:19 PM
I really don't get why people want to use Finale!
I think it's because Finale Notepad is freeware. At least it was until the 2009 version... :c Notepad 2009 costs a few US dollars. Anyway, they provided a rather wonderful sheet music program compared to many other free software out there, and the only one that was a bit graphical in designing the page setup. Maybe it was the step up to the higher distros of Finale for a lot of people.

I use Finale Notepad 2008 and Finale PrintMusic 2008. I got PrintMusic slightly without providing Finale with financial support, :ninja: but I honestly plan to properly buy some sheet software in the future. :) (i.e. when my budget consists out of more than just allowance and birthday money...)

More on topic, I have some past compositions from the time before the ocarina really caught my attention. (including a pretty nice one that I did for music class when I was 12) I plan on making rearrangements for these, which could very well include ocarinas. :) In theory that doesn't make them real ocarina compositions because originally they where intended for other instruments, but they should sound good either way. :thumbsup:

Also, I heard Docjazz4 is working on an cd with original ocarina compositions. I kinda look forward to that...

Krešimir Cindrić

I use Finale 2009. It's great, but somewhat more difficult to get used to than Sibelius. But after a few months of everyday use, it becomes very comfortable. Although not as pretty, it is much more powerful than Sibelius if you are doing something complex.

Sibelius and Finale are both excellent and professional music notation software. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference which one to use. Finale is just somewhat harder to get used to.

If somebody needs help with Finale, I would be happy to share what I know. Just ask.

Adam
Triple Ocarinist x 4
. . .
Edited by Adam, 27 Jun 2016, 05:38 PM.

Iuri Guićo
Member Avatar
Beginner
:ocarina:
my first video
a Bolha

more on www.myspace.com/iuriguiao
thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1sYO_A7Xzk
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Tammi.jpg (1.86 MB)
Edited by Iuri Guićo, 10 Jun 2010, 05:00 PM.

animefreec
Beginner
I've never composed my own songs but it is something that I would love to do. Sometimes I'll whistle something to myself, just on the fly, and it will sound alright, but when I try to go over it again I forget what it was ^_^; Or other times I'll have a story in my mind that I want to convey through music but I have no idea how to do so.... Can someone help me?

Remillo
Member Avatar
The Musical Pandar
This thread is pinned, but has been dormant for far too long!

So, I write music as a Hobby, and I'll be going to college for Composition starting in the fall. In one of my normal, insane idea moments, I thought... Why not feature the Ocarina in a Concert Band piece? So, I worked it in to a concept I already had brewing, in which there are two distinct motifs that conflict and weave with each other. Easiest title I could come up with to start was "Light and Dark". So, here, I decided that the Light should be represented by an Ocarina and that the Dark should be a warm Baritone horn voice. Anyways, audio of what I have written so far (it's not much) is attached. Written in the Key of F (Only 1 Flat) and in the range of a 12-hole C Alto.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: light_and_dark_draft.mp3 (1.12 MB)

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Very much in the band-music idiom. You've got something worth developing there.

I'd suggest sticking to the range of a 10-hole, since the subhole notes will sound feeble and wobbly against the brass. Or maybe use multiple 10-holes and score it so the soloist has time to switch. You need all the power you can get.

There's a cheesy standard in the brass band repertoire that uses an alien instrument in a similar way - "Highland Cathedral", often played on brass band with solo Highland bagpipe. The brass band in our village includes it in the New Year's Day concert they do in the village pub. They did it on Sunday. Except, for two years in succession now the featured piper was too hung over to get there. The baritone horns had to fake it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWT6383OxRc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-1cY8NxKhc (starts at 2:20)

fermataheart
Member Avatar
"High and Mighty"
I personally thought it was a beautiful tune Remillo~

Awesome job <3

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Pretty good tune Remillo, can't wait for the full version.

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
My first attempt at composing, a short piano piece:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sndKchRajzM

Gyzyn
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 4
Triple ocarina... I mean post (lame joke). I guess this topic isn't very active. Soooo I wrote a piece for ocarina and piano, I recorded the piano part via line in cable, then the ocarina part with my trusty not so little samson C01U, and this is the result:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL6m361stco&feature=player_embedded
PS.
I called this piece Loneliness.

cainmaster7
Member Avatar
Dark Lord of Chaos, Suffering, and Ice Cream
Oh my, that was very good Remillo! Would I have your permission to create a score and use this in my music class?

Tiramoney
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Hey hey. Newbie here reviving this thread again. :)

I've become very interested in ocarina composition lately. I take composition lessons at school and I really hate the stereotype that the ocarina is a toy. I think it has a ton of unique capabilities that make it worth composing for in its own right. However, having only been playing ocarina seriously for a few months now, I'm not quite sure of all of those unique qualities! So I'm reviving this thread to ask: what are qualities of the ocarina that are unique and would justify calling a piece an ocarina piece (as opposed to a piece for any instrument) that come to mind for you?

Some that have come to mind throughout my time playing ocarina are these:

-Timbre
-Ease of pitch bending
-Woodwind Harmony (some models, at least)
-Unique blend with other instruments (which I guess is a part of timbre, but whatevs)

I plan to start writing for ocarina once I get done with the projects I'm currently working on. :) Also, forgive my ignorance if these traits aren't all that unique. I'm inexperienced with other woodwinds, but I will have some hands-on time with them in class soon!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Performances · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter • Facebook | Read the FAQ