Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Songbird
Topic Started: 26 Apr 2008, 06:06 PM (78,033 Views)
pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Can someone post a picture of the Songbird Wishbone? I'd love to see what it looks like.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Myung
28 Apr 2008, 06:57 PM
Here's some pics of the Wishbone flute, it is very high pitched and has a very limited range. It's nice to look at, but not really much fun to play.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/Myu...na/IMG_0856.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/Myu...na/IMG_0857.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/Myu...a/IMG_0858s.jpg
Pics of the Wishbone flute.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Just don't make a wish with that one. :)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Thanks Wollemi. It's an interesting design but I prefer my other pendants' shape. :)

OcarinaDude1
Member Avatar
pop123444
New weird shaped ocarina. Can't wait to hear it. Looks kind of awkward to hold though
Attached to this post:
Attachments: unnamed__5_.jpg (179.14 KB)
Edited by OcarinaDude1, 1 Jul 2015, 07:20 PM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I played it in Budrio. Like many pendants, it uses the Taylor system. It sounds nice. I can't really elaborate anymore than that since I didn't care enough to remember. All I remember is that it wasn't bad. Holding it's not all that weird. It's just big.

luminoth
Member Avatar
Beginner
So I recently got the Fairy Ocarina from Songbird... and while it arrived quickly & I have no major complaints... I AM worried about a crack/missing bit I see inside one of the thumb holes. Perhaps a picture would better do it justice:

Here is a picture of the damage/flaw.

I've no idea if this will negatively impact the tone/sound quality of this ocraina. Should I pester them about it?

Also, I didn't notice any recent questions about it, soooo... is their Bravura model a good pick for my first 12-hole? I like my clay one but having a cheap-ish, less-likely-to-break oc I can take with me all over AND play a wider range on would be really nice.

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
This is just me but I wouldn't worry about it. Does it sound as thought there is a problem? If not, then don't freak out.

I would most certainly recommend Songbird's Bravura ocarina seeing as it's still a Focalink ocarina at heart.

I know a lot of people sing the praises of the Night by Noble Ocarina as one of the best plastic Ocarinas around but If you can only buy from songbird, then go for it. I've used their plastic soprano Cs and I though they were pretty darn good.
Among the few places you can buy the NbN is Amazon if that is any help.

Best of luck! :D

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
luminoth
19 Aug 2015, 03:09 AM
So I recently got the Fairy Ocarina from Songbird... and while it arrived quickly & I have no major complaints... I AM worried about a crack/missing bit I see inside one of the thumb holes. Perhaps a picture would better do it justice:

I've no idea if this will negatively impact the tone/sound quality of this ocraina. Should I pester them about it?

Also, I didn't notice any recent questions about it, soooo... is their Bravura model a good pick for my first 12-hole? I like my clay one but having a cheap-ish, less-likely-to-break oc I can take with me all over AND play a wider range on would be really nice.
It doesn't look as if it would affect your ocarina's sound but if you are not happy about it, contact Songbird. Send them your picture and ask them what they think you should do.

Chances are, they'll offer to send you a replacement since that's the kind of customer service Songbird is noted for. Anyway, it's worth trying, right? :grin:

luminoth
Member Avatar
Beginner
pandorado100
19 Aug 2015, 02:08 PM
luminoth
19 Aug 2015, 03:09 AM

It doesn't look as if it would affect your ocarina's sound but if you are not happy about it, contact Songbird. Send them your picture and ask them what they think you should do.

Chances are, they'll offer to send you a replacement since that's the kind of customer service Songbird is noted for. Anyway, it's worth trying, right? :grin:
Apologies but I forgot to say they replied quickly & said the crack I saw was cause when they made the finger hole. Nothing serious, and after some testing with a pitch app on my phone it seems to be pretty well tuned. (Despite my newbie playing, heh.)

I am quite happy with how they handled things.

MasterOfKawaii
Member Avatar
Kinda okay...
So I have a dragon tooth from songbird...

It's pretty nifty. A bit off on the highest note though.

Platina
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist
I remember them having an ocarina called the Little Wing one time.

Posted Image

I had just started my new job, and was going to wait for my first paycheck to buy one. Well, by the time I got it, the Little Wing was gone from the website! I was sad. Is there a chance that they might start making it again someday, or was that just a limited thing?

Hiren
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
Super fan of the Dragontooth here!

Just waiting for the dollar value to fall a bit (Brazil and his economic crisis :c ) to buy one!

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
@ Platina

My understanding is that Songbird has retired the Little Wing for good. It had issues with the high notes. If you still want one, your only bet is to keep checking eBay or post a WTB here on TON to see if anybody wants to sell theirs.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
I got a Little Wing on eBay a while ago. Don't really like the ergonomics and the tone is too soft - I really like ocarinas that are loud and forceful. Came with a chain and bag. I will gladly sell it to you. You can PM me your price and we can work it out there. Just know that (seeing as how your time zone indicates you're in England/Europe), you'll be paying for shipping (though the good news is I'll probably be more flexible on the price depending on how much the shipping is). So if your interested, feel free to make an offer.

Platina
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist
Amerred
6 Sep 2015, 11:00 PM
I got a Little Wing on eBay a while ago. Don't really like the ergonomics and the tone is too soft - I really like ocarinas that are loud and forceful. Came with a chain and bag. I will gladly sell it to you. You can PM me your price and we can work it out there. Just know that (seeing as how your time zone indicates you're in England/Europe), you'll be paying for shipping (though the good news is I'll probably be more flexible on the price depending on how much the shipping is). So if your interested, feel free to make an offer.

Actually, I live in Oklahoma. I just forgot to change the timezone on my profile. Sorry. ^^;

Ebay?! I've look on Ebay every now and then, but I can never find it! Shame Songbird retired the ocarina. Anyway, sounds good! If you truly wish to sell the ocarina, then I'm all for buying it! I just gotta know what condition it's in and everything. Thanks!
Edited by Platina, 7 Sep 2015, 01:32 AM.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
That's great to hear you're in the US - makes things a lot easier. I'll PM you later with pictures and details and whatnot.

As for eBay, that's the only time I've ever seen it up. I'd never played it before, or even owned anything from Songbird specifically (that is, something that Songbird, NOT Focalink, had made), so I decided to go for it. eBay can have great deals if you're really vigilant (though at the same time you've gotta know your stuff, 'cause some people wildly overprice things or sell very poor-quality ocarinas - specifically Chinese knock-offs or antique ones which are broken/damaged).

But yeah, I'll probably send you the stuff later today.

Platina
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist
Usually, I stick with Songbird's website when it comes to buying certain Ocarinas, because I haven't found an ocarina from Amazon or Ebay I'm interested in just yet.

Thank you very much!
Edited by Platina, 7 Sep 2015, 09:58 PM.

maximtomato
Member Avatar
is bad at playing ocarina
So, has anybody noticed that Songbird is currently selling the forte triple for $300? The harmony triple is also on sale for $200. Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up.

Anouk
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
Can anyone tell me if the Songbird Allegro AC is a good model for a beginner?
The more reviews I read the more confused I become. There seems to be negative aspects with almost every ocarina.
As said, I'm a complete beginner when it comes to ocarinas, although I have woodwind experience.
I want an ocarina with a great sound and which is enjoyable to touch, therefore I wouldn't buy a plastic one.
The other model I have an eye on, is the Rotter AC model, but I prefer the look of the Allegro in strawfire.

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 3
For a complete ocarina beginner, and not knowing really what you'd like, I would very much recommend a Night by Noble (black or white). Yes, it's plastic. But it's probably not the kind of plastic that you're thinking of. The NbN is better than many ceramic ocarinas. Think of it as a sort of benchmark ocarina. It's not too expensive (maybe $35), and you can find out what it is that you like or don't like about it. Because of it's popularity, this makes it easier to discuss what you really want in a second ocarina. But it's actually very good in its own right. Many experienced players on the forum would also recommend the NbN. The black and white models have a very nice rubberized sort of finish, so are nice to touch, and honestly better than glazed ceramic.
Edited by Daniel, 25 Jul 2016, 12:37 PM.

Dodo
Beginner
I just got a second-hand dragon tooth extra quiet. I really like the way it sounds. There's just a few issues I am having that would likely get resolved with practice. I have been playing a plastic focalink until now so the fingering difference will take some getting used to. I am also having a bit of trouble stabilizing notes on the dragon tooth but I'm sure that will change with time.

Tedward
Member Avatar
Beginner
I had the opportunity to stop by Songbird's shop this past August. Unfortunately, Mr. Songbird was on vacation, but his staff was very kind and let my wife and I hang out for as long as we wanted. We spent nearly two hours playing the bajillion ocarinas they have on display (they hand out sanitary wipes for this purpose), touring the shop, and talking with the staff. The storefront is cozy, charming, and surreal, (they had an ocarina tree with some of the merchandise hanging down...way cool). I ended up buying 6 ocarinas: the Dragon Tooth, Star Key, a custom-created emerald sweet potato, a tenor strato-blue Ocarina of Time (which my neighbors don't mind me playing), a soprano C Tutti in Jade Crackle, and a plastic Osawa alto C Blue (for travel). Got to see and play some turtles, and saw a huge order of Synesthesias being made. If you live in Los Angeles, or you're just passing through, please stop by. It's an amazing experience. They also have ocarinas, and other instruments, that you can't get on the website. I'm hoping to stop back next time I'm in L.A., whenever that is.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ