Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Hind; Discuss Hind ocarinas here
Topic Started: 26 Apr 2008, 10:23 AM (40,298 Views)
Mikael
Member Avatar

This topic is for discussion of Hind's ocarinas.

Link to his website:
http://hindocarina.com/

He recently posted this video of his bass sweet potato. It sounds amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeJqAjkTFxI
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

His duets are lovely. They remind me of a calliope!
Quote Post Goto Top

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
That bass is so awesome! It's HUGE :omg:

I really am so happy with my cutey SopD :inline:

It sounds so cheerful :D

Deleted User
Deleted User

Hind ocs are so BADASS!
I really like them...:wub:
:dance:
Quote Post Goto Top

witemp
Member Avatar
Focalink user
I like the Harmony ocarina from him...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE0Foe8OC7I

I once heard that its impossible to make a wooden double or triple ocarina, but this is one, so does the thing i heard is right?

Mikael
Member Avatar

witemp
Apr 26 2008, 05:21 PM
I like the Harmony ocarina from him...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE0Foe8OC7I

I once heard that its impossible to make a wooden double or triple ocarina, but this is one, so does the thing i heard is right?

But Hind's doubles are not meant to give extended range but instead play both chambers at the same time to give a nice effect.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Rintintin
Apr 26 2008, 05:25 PM
But Hind's doubles are not meant to give extended range but instead play both chambers at the same time to give a nice effect.

Which I absolutely love... :wub:
I really like the sound - it's very unique. :boogie:
Quote Post Goto Top

Pyromanaic21
Member Avatar
the one who loves FIRE....
yes it's absolutely beautiful....

....... :ph43r:

witemp
Member Avatar
Focalink user
Rintintin
Apr 26 2008, 07:25 PM

If thats right, then is this also a hind ocarina? I love that sound, but i dont know wich maker it is...

Mikael
Member Avatar

witemp
Apr 27 2008, 08:30 AM
Rintintin

If thats right, then is this also a hind ocarina? I love that sound, but i dont know wich maker it is...

That could possibly be a Hind. I'm not sure as I could not see the ocarina that well.

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
A picture of my lovely Hind Soprano D Wallnut 6 hole:

Spoiler: click to toggle

Deleted User
Deleted User

Nawww~
Mr. Hind is such a nice man... ^_^
Quote Post Goto Top

witemp
Member Avatar
Focalink user
Myung
Apr 28 2008, 05:17 PM
A picture of my lovely Hind Soprano D Wallnut 6 hole:

I thought you had a Sweet potato from him...

This one looks very nice though :)

What is its range?

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
Nope no Sweet Potatoe...............yet XD
They are alot more expensive than his wallnut pendants and inlines.
I had already spent alot of money on the Spencer last month.
And I really wanted a nice and light pendant to wear around my neck! :)
Here is the fingering chart:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/Myu...na/IMG_1129.jpg

OcarinaNL
Member Avatar
Dutch Mod squad
I would love to have one of his sweet patatoes! :wub:
His ocarinas are works of art!

Deleted User
Deleted User

I really like how personable Hind is. Photos of him working, he playing his instruments on youtube, and handwritten notes are almost too enchanting to resist!

Quote Post Goto Top

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
Moonsyne
Apr 30 2008, 07:17 AM
I really like how personable Hind is. Photos of him working, he playing his instruments on youtube, and handwritten notes are almost too enchanting to resist!

Yes I agree! I love that personal touch :wub:
It really shows how passionate he is about the ocarina and the ocarinas he makes!
His website is also very nicely designed.
And the pictures of, for example, his musicbox and the ocarina celestina, briliant!!! :dance:
I will no doubt be a return customer of mr. Hind and his lovely ocarinas^^

AEoliX
Member Avatar
[ Ocarinist since 5/2/08! ]
witemp
Rintintin

I believe she is playing a North Country Double:
http://doubleocarina.com/

Like Hind, North Country seems to make their wooden double ocarinas to play in harmony, instead of simply extending the range of the ocarina.

------
oliX

Whistle
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I like how he plays the small sweet potato ocarina. It sounds so cheery!

flip
Member Avatar
"the switch"
When I bought my Alto Sweet Potato, I had been corresponding with Mr. Hind for a while. Yes, he is super nice and helpful. I even called and spoke with him on the phone!

His ocarina is by far my favorite. It even smells wonderful!

Also Myung...are you going to grace us with a review of the soprano D?

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
flip
May 1 2008, 09:27 PM
When I bought my Alto Sweet Potato, I had been corresponding with Mr. Hind for a while. Yes, he is super nice and helpful. I even called and spoke with him on the phone!

Mr. Hind really is such a nice person, and I really love his ocarinas!

And yes the ocarina does indeed have this wonderful woody smell to it. :wub:

I plan to do a review of the Sop D yes indeed :TON:

I should have it up sometime next week, if all goes to plan :music:

flip
Member Avatar
"the switch"
Myung
May 1 2008, 07:53 PM
flip
May 1 2008, 09:27 PM

Mr. Hind really is such a nice person, and I really love his ocarinas!

And yes the ocarina does indeed have this wonderful woody smell to it. :wub:

I plan to do a review of the Sop D yes indeed :TON:

I should have it up sometime next week, if all goes to plan :music:

Gosh, I haven't played a pendant in a while, so forgive my ignorance...

Are the fingerings the same then as a regular pendant?

Nevermind....I figured it out. It is! :D

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
*chimes in on this thread*

I've decided that I want to buy one of Mr. Hind's sweet potatoes for my first ocarina. :blink: I love his sweet potatoes. But hey, maybe I'll wake up in eight hours and decide that I was a raving lunatic when I posted that.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

witemp
Rintintin

I know that Nancy Rumbel (the ocarina performer there - she is famous in the ocarina world :D ) owns some of Hind's ocarinas, because he mentioned on his site before that he made some for her.

But I think the particular one being used in that video might be one of these:
http://www.doubleocarina.com/

I've seen her use it in this vid:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aCka_wGyzKA
Spring Maiden: A famous korean folk song!

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Woken up, did some work, still want a Hind. Anxiously awaiting his reply to my email. But geez I eventually want a Harmony :ocarina: !

flip
Member Avatar
"the switch"
shadowyi
May 2 2008, 05:55 PM
Woken up, did some work, still want a Hind. Anxiously awaiting his reply to my email. But geez I eventually want a Harmony  :ocarina: !

Might I recommend his Alto Sweet Potato? It is in the key of C, and is in range of a regular Alto-C, minus the low A. It has such a smooth and soothing sound. I can't recommend it enough. It is sooooo light and smells wonderful!

I think you all would be surprised at how soft you have to blow for the high and low notes. It's crazy! That's why it's my favorite.

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Hmm yes that was what I'd been thinking too. Howebbuh, listening to http://youtube.com/watch?v=RjSOE02CzZo (fantastic performance, link given to me by kissing) in which he switches between an alto and a soprano, I also really like the clear sweetness of the soprano. D'you think Mr. Hind would think I escaped from the asylum if I requested an ocarina not quite as high as a soprano and definitely not as low as an alto? I want one with a warm, mellow tone yet with some sweet clarity on top. :D

Thank you for your recommendation!

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
I'm direct time emailing with Mr. Hind! :blink: :wub: He tells me that he has two alto sweet potatoes almost finished. I really don't know which to choose now. :unsure: His cocobolo mix? Or his almost finished rosewood ones? *sits and ponders*

Deleted User
Deleted User

You know that you'll love whichever you get :wub:
Quote Post Goto Top

spencer's ocarinas
Beginner
Charlie Hind is also very nice in person.

=)

Mavari
Member Avatar
Giving It A Swing
This man makes my dream ocarinas. Charlie Hind is an extremely affable person, and as a maker and musician is out and out brilliant. Plus, how do I not like a small work of art I can carry around and play? Even if the bass sweet potatoes aren't quite so small hehe.

flip
Member Avatar
"the switch"
spencer's ocarinas
May 3 2008, 07:02 PM
Charlie Hind is also very nice in person.

=)

Yeah, as we are sure that you are as well. :P :D :poke:

Mr. Hind's customer service is superb. He is more than willing to make recommendations and help you out with making a decision.

Quote:

I really don't know which to choose now. unsure.gif His cocobolo mix? Or his almost finished rosewood ones? *sits and ponders*

I have the walnut...it looks better in person than on the website. But if you want to choose one of those two, I guess I would go with the cocobolo. It looks really nice, plus it is a good wood for instruments. I don't know much about the rosewood....

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Posted Image

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:
Mine. Mine. MIIINE!! :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

Oh I'm not excited or anything. I'm very calm. Mr. Hind is extremely nice indeed, he answered ten tons of questions from me and personally recommended the rosewood to me for my playing purposes. He just finished the final touches on this today actually. Buahahahahah!! I can't wait!!

Ooh, interesting point. Do ocarina makers visit each other often?

Mavari
Member Avatar
Giving It A Swing
OHHH! Shadow I cannot word how jealous I am! Definitely looking forward to seeing work from you on that beautiful creation!

spencer's ocarinas
Beginner
shadowyi
May 3 2008, 11:39 PM
Ooh, interesting point. Do ocarina makers visit each other often?

Ha. Well, I'm not sure about others. But Charlie and I arranged to meet at a craft show (at which he had a booth) in South Carolina a couple of years back. The meeting was feasible since we are located near each other (he lives in SC and I live in NC). It was a really great experience to meet another professional ocarina maker, let alone one of the best. I sat with him behind his booth as we chatted and exchanged ocarinas. He's really a very kind, knowledgeable man, and the degree of craftsmanship in his work is really astounding. When you look at some of the other things he has engineered and built, you might wonder if he was born in the right era. =)

Anyway, the most exciting part about meeting Charlie Hind was that, apparently, my 12-hole ocarinas were inspiration for him to start developing his own unique sweet potato ocarinas. I hope that doesn't come off as boastful, as it isn't what I intend. I am very humbled by it. It has been fun watching them develop and they have, no doubt, been good for his business. I'm glad we were able to meet when we did because Charlie will not be doing very many craft shows in the future.

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
Oooh that's so awesome Spencer! Maybe the ocarina makers should have their own conventions, to exchange ideas and inspiration and whatnot. It's so cool that he was inspired by your sweet potatoes =) And I don't think it sounds boastful, you yourself are a masterful ocarina maker as well^^ I love watching the pictures of his ocarina celestina, man it would be too awesome to own one!

Deleted User
Deleted User

I had thought about asking him to post a video of his ocarina celestina.
Quote Post Goto Top

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
Moonsyne
May 4 2008, 12:36 PM
I had thought about asking him to post a video of his ocarina celestina.

OOooh Please do :excited:

I would love to see and hear it in action! :boogie:

ImmortalOffspring
Member Avatar
One with the floor
I envy you that Hind, shadowyi.

But rosewood you say? Interesting. Someday in a distant future, I'll get myself another ocarina. And this time, it'll either be a Maparam triple, or some wooden Ocarina. If the altter, it's probably be a Hind.

The wood gives it a more natural feel and look than the clay Ocarinas, I really enjoy the patterns and shapes within the wood.

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
I don't think it's boastful at all, quite touching in fact. This is what's so great about music: appreciation and learning from other masters to create even more beautiful music!

I hope I can do justice to the Hind when it arrives! I just invited Mr. Hind here as well, maybe he'll take me up on the offer! :boogie:

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
I just got an e-mail from Mr. Hind thanking me for the review I left at his website. That's just so nice and thoughtful of him :D

And in my reply saying it was my pleasure, I also asked if he had a video of his ocarina celestina^^

:boogie:

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Eeeee my Hind is at the post office! ..in a supreme act of self control... I'm going to get it after I finish my two finals tomorrow. ...><"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mikael
Member Avatar

shadowyi
May 8 2008, 08:02 PM
Eeeee my Hind is at the post office! ..in a supreme act of self control... I'm going to get it after I finish my two finals tomorrow. ...><"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice prize for completing your finals! :lol:

I'm so excited for you :excited:

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
:poke: Don't forget to post pictures of your new Hindarina! :wub:

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Ahhh finals are over and I have my Hind in hand!!!! :wub: I've played it experimentally and am happy to report that it's very easy to pick up (however, I do have five thousand years of vocal and flute history). One thing I do have to say, I'm not sure if I'm fond of the tone. Maybe it's because I'm a new player, but my low notes make me want to laugh. They just sound... weird. ><"

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ