Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. • Updates - The 2013 TONs of FUN Christmas Contest!
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
How to protect your ceramic ocarina; Tips & Tricks; Tips for playing storage and travelling.
Topic Started: 24 Apr 2008, 06:30 PM (5,970 Views)
Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
We all love our ocarinas, that's why it is important to keep your ceramic ocarinas safe. Because yes, they can break :omg:

Here are some tips and tricks on how to keep your ocarinas safe!

When playing:

-If your ocarina has a neckstrap, you should really use it when playing. That way if you lose your grip on it, it won't fall to the ground.

-If your new at playing the ocarina and your ocarina does not come with a neckstrap or a hole to put one on yourself, make sure that you play above a soft surface like a carpet or grass. It can be hard to hold the ocarina especially when playing the high notes at first.

-By using the neckstrap when you want to take a short break, you can also avoid for example: forgetting it is in your lap when standing up. Accidentally tripping over the mess in your room and dropping it etc. etc.

When storing:

-It is recommended to keep your ocarina in a protective bag or case when it is not in use for longer periods of time.

-A good protective bag has lots of padding. If you think your bag is too thin to protect your ocarina, I suggest you get a better bag or a foam filled case.

-A good case is sturdy on the outside and filled with alot of foam to keep your ocarina safely in place.

-Be careful to not place your ocarina at the edge of a table or other high surface.

-If you have pets that walk around the house, put it in a drawer that they can't reach or open.

-Cats + string dangling = disaster contributed by Moonsyne

-Ocarinas are like medicine. Best kept out of the reach of small children. contributed by ImmortalOffspring

-Never allow anyone to hold your Ocarina unless you really trust them. At least not your favorites. contributed by ImmortalOffspring

When travelling

-It is recommended to use a good padded bag or sturdy case when travelling with your ocarina.

-Take it with you in your hand luggage when flying. If that is not possible use a sturdy case for your ocarina, and put that in your suitcase.

Some examples of cases filled with foam:
Case Picture 1
Case Picture 2
Case Picture 3
Case Picture 4

Well so far my tips & tricks, I will be adding to and editing this post later.

Suggestions are very much appreciated!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

stevtomato
Member Avatar
The Splattered Tomato

lmao, I assume you have encountered such problem before?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Moonsyne
Apr 24 2008, 09:52 PM
Cats + string dangling = disaster

Oh god... that sounds terrible! :cry:
Quote Post Goto Top

ImmortalOffspring
Member Avatar
One with the floor
Similar to cats but: Ocarinas are like medicine. Best kept out of the reach of small children.

Never allow anyone to hold your Ocarina unless you really trust them. At least not your favorites. :D

Mikael
Member Avatar

ImmortalOffspring
Apr 26 2008, 10:35 PM
Similar to cats but: Ocarinas are like medicine. Best kept out of the reach of small children.

Never allow anyone to hold your Ocarina unless you really trust them. At least not your favorites. :D

Tell me about it. I never ever let anyone hold my ocarinas. They are my precious! :lol:

Pyromanaic21
Member Avatar
the one who loves FIRE....
so true...all of my musical instruments are very precious to me.....only if I really trust some one with my life would I think about letting them touch my ocarina...

witemp
Member Avatar
Focalink user
When i was playing outside, i had my focalink in the bag wich it came in, and it dropped out of my pocket when i stood up, and then it broke. I was in two halves... I glued it together, and now it sounds a bit false... But i still can play it... :) I now have made a box from a suitcase, and my :ocarina: 's all go in well. I even have dropped the box once, but they were all still intact. The funny thing was, when i blowed on my focalink when it was broke, it still gave a whistle tone... :) So a lesson for all: Dont drop your ocarina when youare on the street :P...

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
I have added some of the suggestions to the article with due credit ofcourse :D

Love that one about the cat XD I can see that becoming a nightmare scenario indeed.

Keep the suggestions coming!

ForestsRequiem
Member Avatar
Formerly Ocarinaman333

hey Myung! I think it might be nice if you posted links to the cases that you use! they look very protective :)

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
Good idea! Lemme check mah Photobucket^^

Real Generic Films
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
I use a wriststrap (the Wiistrap, I accidentally ordered an extra) instread of a neckstrap on my pendant, and it works well.For walking with it, I'd say you should carry it in a case or have deep pockets, or tie a string through it and onto your pant's belt loops. My pendant is about 3.5 in by 3 by 3/4 in so it fits in my pocket snugly.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Strangely enough, the more costly ocarinas in the higher-end market don't have neckstraps, on purpose.
I read on a site before that the reason is because neckstraps are not aesthetically pleasing when on a concert stage.
I suppose by the time of owning such good ocarinas, you would have learned to hold it firmly and not drop it.

I don't use neckstraps on any of my ocarinas... even the ones which did come with one, I removed them.
I focus mainly on the ocarina case.

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Taking a break from Signature requests
Since most neckstraps are pretty ugly, I cut them off and add suede leather ones in a matching colour (sometimes with a bead or two knotted on for decoration).
I admit I never use the neckstraps myself, they're simply there for times when someone asks to look at one of my ocs! I never let someone hold my ocarina unless I wrap the neckstrap around their wrist a few times BEFORE letting them hold it!

Pandaman
Member Avatar
part panda, part mudkip, all me

We definitely need to find a smaller case that can safely protect your ocarina... The american gun holsters are smart, but not exactly easy to get elsewhere. I like your spencer suitcase Myung, but it's a little much for my tng :P I'm not too worried about carrying it around though :)

DeepRed
Member Avatar
I made a great little case for an STL 9hole from a digicam case- I got pics of the whole process :) I'll post a thread about it :)

Pandaman
Member Avatar
part panda, part mudkip, all me

awesome :) though this is a pretty good place to post about it ^^'

DeepRed
Member Avatar
OKay, I'll add them here! If anyone else has any photos of their cases (bought, homemade or improvised) they can post here too, I think that would be a really useful ideas resource for everyone :)

[edit!] Okay here's an ocarina case I made for an STL soprano 9Hole! :)
I took it to the camera shop to try out in various cases and bags until I found one that was a perfect fit, and is also a hardshell case for extra protection! :) Then I got a sheet of photographer's packing foam (about £7/$14- but you get a sizeable sheet, which will do for several ocarina cases). These little cases come in different sizes, this was the smallest :)

Ocarina, Digicam case and foam:
Spoiler: click to toggle

Take your case, place it over the foam and cut out a piece to fit the case :) Then (this helps if you have the disposable craft knives with the super-extendable snap-off blades :pirate: ) slice your piece of foam in half, like two slices of bread! :)
Placing your oc over a 'slice' carefully cut a rough outline of the ocarina- and watch out for the strap! :D
Then cut into this, removing a little bit at a time to create a nice shaped 'bed' for your ocarina! Do the same with the other piece of foam, but in a mirror image, and you have the slices of bread for your Ocarina Sandwich:

Now plonk the other slice on top, slide into the case, zipper up and you & your oc are ready to take on what ever the world (or pavement!) can throw at you! :D
I specifically wanted a super-rugged, secure case for this ocarina, since it was a birthday present for a friend who'll be moving to India and travelling about for three years!

Edited by DeepRed, 28 Jun 2008, 01:05 AM.

Real Generic Films
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
@Above post:

Great job with the cases, and what a great idea! I can do the same at my local craft and fabric store, pics will come but much later, my focalink is a present for my b-day on the 24th.

DeepRed
Member Avatar
Thanks :) Hunting about for cases is fun! Try photography stores, electronics, and hardware suppliers :)

Nintendo DS cases also work well :)

Walden
Member Avatar
An humble ocarina-player.
There are a variety of well-padded camera cases available inexpensively at Wal-Mart (I assume Target and other similar stores have them as well). They have them in various sizes, and some with separate compartments, which could be used to carry different sizes of ocarinas.

Kalin5513
Member Avatar
Oca-Rocker - Don't mess with me, I'm Pro. 0_0
the case I made last night for my 12 hole Alto-c was extremely improvised xD.

I was hoping to find some kind of gun case or something, but failed at that at Wal-Mart. i ended up finding a see-through water proof snap shut case. it was the perfect size, but was not padded

i looked around for packing foam, to little success, so I walked about until I found....

An ironing board pad xD. It has a layer of foam and the clothe cover which i separated from one another, and cut the foam into pieces that would fit into the box. Its a bit sore looking on the eyes, but my ocarina doesnt move at all.

I'm thinking about spray painting the box so its not see through anymore, os just covering it in stickers :D

White Revolver
Member Avatar
Adventurer-in-Training
Pockets are the enemies of ocarinas. My old Songbird Zelda replica fell out of my pocket and broke into pieces. So I glued it back together and it played okay. Then later it happened again. That time a small, pyramid-shaped piece on the round end was lost so I dripped candlewax into it to make a plug. Still plays fine! But it's a lesson to be learned: don't put ocarinas in loose pockets and sit down.

I now have the zippered case for that ocarina. And it's still my favorite. I don't have any alternate or improvised protection means though. My WPN goes in its glove case, my pendant goes in a drawer or my pocket, my Songstone goes on my neck or in its flimsy little cardboard box.

I might have to get a case when I have a few more, though.

bluebell
Member Avatar
Compulsive collector
i plan on making the case, to my BF exasperation. he deosnt seem to understand.

Tye Possum
Member Avatar
The wandering musician
This may be an old topic but it's a great idea. I never really thought about cases for my ocs and I just carried them in my pocket if I needed to bring one somewhere. My anita feng oc broke when I stood up and forgot that it had been on my lap and I broke a peruvian by throwing it up in the air and catching it untill oops didn't catch it that time. Shows how much I cared about that one eh? Now that I'm getting more ocs and specifically sweet potatos I'm really going to look into getting a case and maybe this time I'll be able to keep my ocs for a while longer. Hey how much are these camera cases though? Anything to do with cameras is probably expensive or at least I think so.

ziggysp2000
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
I really need a good solid case that I can fit a few ocarinas. Any suggestions for a hard case in Canada?

SecretTacoNinja
Member Avatar
Tacos and Ninjas rule, hence the name.
I want a nice padded, hard case for when I get my Triple ocarina, I think Docjazz has a gun case for his Spencer (he has a whole video on this, it was pretty useful). :O

Oh another piece of advice:

Don't leave it on a chair or your bed and sit on it.

I learnt that the hard way ='(
Poor Selene...
She's okay now but I still hate myself...

Tye Possum
Member Avatar
The wandering musician
Also don't play it in bed then put it down on your blanket and then jump up to get the phone...

ziggysp2000
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
You know sitting on a clay ocarina seemed to be like it could be a very painful experience potentially :P

SecretTacoNinja
Member Avatar
Tacos and Ninjas rule, hence the name.
ziggysp2000
7 Nov 2008, 05:27 PM
You know sitting on a clay ocarina seemed to be like it could be a very painful experience potentially :P
I didn't even notice @_@

xD

Tenryo
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
I dont have a special case for it right now, but i have a small bag, stuffed with towels and wash hands, and i put it in that bag for carying :jumpy:

Glup
Member Avatar
a.k.a totten94
If you really, REALLY want to protect your ocarinas good, search out the Pelican cases.. They are designed to handle everything..
AND they come with a replacement guaranty that's only not valid if the case was destroyed by a Shark Attack, A Bear Attack or children under 5..
Thay have a lot of types, but some of the laptop cases uses Pick 'N' Pluck Foam which is a really good thing..

zombiefewd1
Member Avatar
Resident WoWPlayer.
I use the plano gun cases as seen here: How I protect/store my ocarinas I really dont seem why people would complain about the ocarina having a neck strap I think it helps alot! -Desmond

Kiniko
Member Avatar
<3 Lolicon
I know most of yall use plano, but I recently found a company called plasticase when I was searching for a cheaper alternative to plano... I don't know if I was looking on the wrong websites, but they were all very expensive where I looked.

Anyway, they sell cases in a ton of different sizes and colours... Theres an option to get foam inserts which is obviously a good things... One side is the eggshell sort of lookin foam, the other side is flat, but designed for you to pick out the shape of something in it so it stays snug. Im not sure if these are actually any good yet, but Im thinking about getting one.

They are meant to be shipped in bulk to buisnesses, so they charge you a little extra for ordering less than a certain amount of each case, but still, the one I was looking at still only turned out to be 14$. Also, because they are for buisnesses, there's a request a free sample feature for buisnesses. Im trying to see if I can use that to get one for free :P

Heres the website.

http://www.plasticase.com/

And here's a link to one that I thought looked like a reasonable size.

http://www.plasticase.com/productdetails.asp?node=31&lang=en

beekarina
Member Avatar
Your resident beekeeper with ocs
They seem to have reasonable prices too. Their weekender case comes to $49.50 Canadian ( I think) and ships from Terrebonne, Quebec (my province! Wheee! Maybe cheap shipping for me.)

edit: Comes to 72.50 if you add in the cubed foam inserts. Not much use without the inserts.

I'm still going to look for a used treasure chest this summer at garage sales (meaning I intend to find some good quality case someone wants to get rid of. I'll shove my own cubed foam in there.)
Edited by beekarina, 29 Apr 2009, 04:28 AM.

Glup
Member Avatar
a.k.a totten94
Kiniko
29 Apr 2009, 03:21 AM
I know most of yall use plano, but I recently found a company called plasticase when I was searching for a cheaper alternative to plano... I don't know if I was looking on the wrong websites, but they were all very expensive where I looked.

Anyway, they sell cases in a ton of different sizes and colours... Theres an option to get foam inserts which is obviously a good things... One side is the eggshell sort of lookin foam, the other side is flat, but designed for you to pick out the shape of something in it so it stays snug. Im not sure if these are actually any good yet, but Im thinking about getting one.

They are meant to be shipped in bulk to buisnesses, so they charge you a little extra for ordering less than a certain amount of each case, but still, the one I was looking at still only turned out to be 14$. Also, because they are for buisnesses, there's a request a free sample feature for buisnesses. Im trying to see if I can use that to get one for free :P

Heres the website.

http://www.plasticase.com/

And here's a link to one that I thought looked like a reasonable size.

http://www.plasticase.com/productdetails.asp?node=31&lang=en
I have two cases with "pick n' pluck" foam, and it's really great!
It keeps it in place, right where you want it! :D
I bought mine at a local shop, and here's the link to mine!

http://www.clasohlson.no/Product/Product.aspx?id=53281161

I'm sorry, but it's a norwegian site..

The price is NOT $375, it's 375 NOK which is much smaller and about $56..
Still more expensive, but it's worth it!
In my first one I have 2 MO's, 2 Tinwhistles, WPN Tenor, WPN double, songbird tenor pendant, A Harmonica and a OneNote AC plastic ocarina.. and it's still enough room for a soprano F from Ted's DoReMi shop at Ebay! :D
Edited by Glup, 29 Apr 2009, 06:56 AM.

atkeane
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Well, since my Clayz Zelda model broke... I've learned not to play an Oc anywhere where there may be sudden unexpected loud noises... Also I store my Enigma in it's bag when not in use for the most part. I'd really like something in my room where I could have it out but safe and let people look at it though. Some sort of open topped oc box.

Ninocarino
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Mmm, maybe wee need a "Pantheon" or Graveyard for photos of our "lost in battle" ocarinas.

Kiniko
Member Avatar
<3 Lolicon
thinkharder
29 Apr 2009, 04:23 AM
They seem to have reasonable prices too. Their weekender case comes to $49.50 Canadian ( I think) and ships from Terrebonne, Quebec (my province! Wheee! Maybe cheap shipping for me.)

edit: Comes to 72.50 if you add in the cubed foam inserts. Not much use without the inserts.

I'm still going to look for a used treasure chest this summer at garage sales (meaning I intend to find some good quality case someone wants to get rid of. I'll shove my own cubed foam in there.)
Really? They ship from Quebec? Hopefully I can get some cheap shipping to Ontario, then!

I don't have a lot of ocarinas, and the case I was looking at, can probably fit 4 normal size alto C ocarinas, came to 14$ canadian. That's a pretty damn good price.

Toshi
Member Avatar
Head in the clouds
I bought a Wii travel case from gamestop yesterday, and everything fits! :jumpy:
My Focalink case, STL Alto C Pouch, Focalink Soprano C pouch, and a box of pendants all fit.
There's a lot of padding on the sides, which means no splattered ocarinas. :|

EDIT: Bonus! It smells like money! :jumpy:
Edited by Toshi, 5 May 2009, 10:20 PM.

Hammond
Member Avatar
Lieks Mudkipz
Very useful information. Glad I haven't had any bad experiences with ground and ocarina coming in contact. :]

Glup
Member Avatar
a.k.a totten94
I'll post picture(s) of my new case which I store my Maparams and my Focalink in! ;)
But not now. It's 11:55 PM here atm, so I'll do it tomorrow!

EDIT:
Here's my new case!!
Edited by Glup, 24 Jun 2009, 10:03 AM.

Roger
Member Avatar
(O_O)
Where Can I buy the foam that they use for gun hard cases, or the pick and pluck type? Im based Here In California and I have no Idea what shops have them.

Glup
Member Avatar
a.k.a totten94
I think you can buy at some kind of special stores..
like Clas Ohlson in Noway and Sweden!

They sell EVERYTHING!! ;)

Even different foam types. :D

PS: when searching, look for camera cases, that's what the ones I use are called..

Vermin
Member Avatar
O·ca·ri·na - pla·ying - an·droid
I put a lot of that bubble wrap stuff in a small Eastpak bag.
Works too.

Glup
Member Avatar
a.k.a totten94
It works, but doesn't it take forever to unpack when you want to play?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Articles and Guides · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ