Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Stein Ocarina (Focalink); Posts regarding Focalink goes here
Topic Started: 24 Apr 2008, 11:45 AM (68,357 Views)
SewedCodeMode
Member Avatar
Music gives my days light and my heart, peace.
I want the DBG... Will have to wait until next year, probably. Anyone else drooling over it?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Hmm... Has anyone heard from Mr. Shih recently? I sent him and email on Sunday and still haven't received a reply. I know he was attending an ocarina festival. Perhaps he overlooked it.

Ocarininja
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
TheZ
13 Sep 2014, 02:02 AM
Hmm... Has anyone heard from Mr. Shih recently? I sent him and email on Sunday and still haven't received a reply. I know he was attending an ocarina festival. Perhaps he overlooked it.
I emailed him two days ago, and have yet to receive a reply as well.

I'm curious if this will effect my shipping? I just placed an order tonight. I'm assuming he has people who ship out basic orders for him if/when he is busy with other things.

Speaking of Focalink -- How long does their shipping take now-a-days? I remember back in 2008-2009 he was the fastest in shipping of all the Asian ocarina manufacturers. (Processing was usually within 24 hours and would arrive in a week or so.)
Fred
14 May 2013, 06:35 AM
TheZ
13 May 2013, 11:33 PM
Shipping from Focalink to the US is usually around how much?
depends what you order

the shipping for a 7 piece set is 100

shipping for my double sg was 25

shipping for my triple was 25
Also, just to note on this for anyone interested. I was messing around out of curiosity and found out the following:

• Depending on the ocarina, shipping is $12~36. Most single ocarinas cost $12~18 to ship starting off. (All pendants seem to cost $12 -- even the novelty ones.) The most expensive I found to ship was one of their sets with a case, which was $36. The prices seem to be completely based on size, not material or weight, so the plastics do not ship for any less than their clays, despite probably not needing as much protection and such.
  • The more you order, the better deal shipping prices are.. I tested this for various situations, but it seems to follow group rates. For example, ordering multiple of their plastic ACs yields the following shipping prices. 1 = $18, 2-16 = $28, 16-19 = $36
  • Shipping is free on orders over $500.[/url] At first I thought it was just select products, but after messing around with several combinations, I found that the shipping is free as soon as your order hits $500. I tested this with the plastic ACs again, as they are $25 each, so x20 = $500 on the dot. Remove one, and the shipping goes back to $36.

If you have any other questions about shipping, let me know. and I can experiment a bit and figure it out.
Edited by Ocarininja, 13 Sep 2014, 11:04 PM.

Everett Ocarinas
Member Avatar
aka Kalasinar

Got some Focalinks coming, hopefully soon, very much looking forward to their arrival. Long long ago i owned a lot of multis (though not anymore), but i never really knew how their singles played. I was really impressed with one i bought, and as such, i've bought yet more Focalink singles. Back in the day i owned a Dolce Triple, but now i have the Forte Triple based on my experience playing Jack's. It is a fantastic ocarina :D

And the cases are brilliant - in Budrio last year, Yung-tai Liu showed us his precious Focalink multi, put it in one of those hard cases, zipped it up and proceeded to drop it on the hard library flooring. He picked it up, opened it and showed us the unscathed ocarina inside. After that, i had to get one!

Edit: And wow, i've been gone so long, this topic is twenty-eight pages long! xD
Edited by Everett Ocarinas, 10 Nov 2014, 01:58 PM.

Tentenguy
Member Avatar
That guy

Looks like they've finally released some new multichambers!
BC Quad
BC Quad Natural
AF Triple
AF Triple Natural
BC Triple
BC Triple Natural
AC Triple B&W
And just for fun, (may be gone by the time you see this, but it was found here: TEST)
Spoiler: click to toggle

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

For $12, that better be a pretty darn good burger. Doesn't look like much, lol.

Onicara
Member Avatar
Play to enjoy
It's a combo of burger + pop + coffee - it's triple for sure.

Do they ship the combo internationally :grin:

Ikaruka
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Mark Chan
11 Dec 2014, 04:28 PM
For $12, that better be a pretty darn good burger. Doesn't look like much, lol.
I've ordered a bugger myself! I know it's expensive but I was hungry~! D:

Saki
Member Avatar
Surprisingly not dead
Does anyone know anything about or tried the new(ish) type D, type F, and type G Alto Cs? They look pretty cool, I like the semi crackle glazes. They also seem to be a bit more expensive the the A or B type.

http://steinocarina.com/productList.php?class=2&line=3&nowpage=11

http://steinocarina.com/productList.php?class=2&line=3&nowpage=12

sotos
Beginner
What is a normal customer experience with focalink? I ordered an ocarina from steinocarina.com a couple of days ago and have still haven't heard anything back. I also used the contact us on the site and have still not received a response.

miguel from portugal
Member Avatar
Portuguese ocarinist
He is probably to busy getting ready to Budrio.

Don't worry, he is a good (excellent) guy. Soner or later you will have it.

sotos
Beginner
miguel from portugal
17 Apr 2015, 04:15 PM
He is probably to busy getting ready to Budrio.

Don't worry, he is a good (excellent) guy. Soner or later you will have it.
Yes I guess I worried for nothing. He just emailed me that he shipped it today. Can't wait!

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Are there any folks interested in a review of one of Focalinks newest 12-hole single chambers? I'm thinking mainly the 12SGB, 12ACD, 12ACF, or 12ACG. I was thinking about ordering one.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
It appears that Focalink has developed a new TAG.
Posted Image
It isn't available for sale anywhere that I can find, though. It's described as "extended," too, but I couldn't find any information on that, either.

Ocarinamusic
Member Avatar

Zack is just on holiday with me in Austria,I can ask him ?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=843604492389720&set=a.543486169068222.1073741843.100002205314013&type=1&theater

Ocarinamusic
Member Avatar

Zack tolm me that it is the newly developed Triple AG ocarina and will be available on Focalink website soon, in around 1 month.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Here's a sound sample: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTYxNTY2NzQ0.html?from=y1.7-2

Ikaruka
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
My ocarina friends I wanted to share some new information about Focalinks new projects:

So as most of us know, over the years Focalink has not only worked hard to provide their customer base with the highest quality instruments, they have also tried to help the ocarina market grow in a healthy way, by providing their customers with high quality ocarina albums, songs and books etc. Focalink has also tried to help and support smaller workshop. The next step is to provide some of these products from these workshops on the Official Focalink webshop.

With the growing ocarina market, we have seen many new smaller workshops crafting their own instruments. While in general these products are not as stable or on the same level of quality as Focalink their own produced ocarinas, because many of those smaller companies lack the high standard of general quality check. Focalink has now taken it upon themselves to create a certain quality standard for these kind of products. By doing this Focalink wants to make sure the ocarina market keeps on growing in a positive and healthy way for both the companies and the customers.
Based on this philosophy Focalink will now be providing special promotion bundles. They will exist of combinations of Focalinks own products with the products of the smaller workshops, after they have passed the Focalinks personal quality check.

At the start there are three bundles available.

Project A : Mini G + Alto C ocarina 41Dollars
http://www.steinocarina.com/productsDetail.php?id=353

Project B : Mini F + Alto C ocarina 56,50Dollars
http://www.steinocarina.com/productsDetail.php?id=354

Project C : Alto C ocarina + Soprano F Ocarina 91,50Dollars
http://www.steinocarina.com/productsDetail.php?id=355

Edited by Ikaruka, 9 Jul 2015, 02:45 AM.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

Nice. You can get Ray ocarinas a lot easier now. Hopefully we'll see some triples soon. :)

carbon

Are Ray ocarinas produced by Focalink?

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
No, but the maker used to work for Focalink. According to Tom, these aren't even Ray ocarinas. If you look closely, the "R" looks more like a "B"

carbon

Ah. It's getting hard to tell teh difference between Focalink ocarinas, Focalink OEM ocarinas, and former Focalink makers... We need a compendium :D

Ikaruka
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Indeed at first glance I also assumed they were Ray ocarina, but when I asked Mr. Shih he told me they are just products that closely resemble Ray ocarina. It seems everyone has their imitations now, haha.

Carbon if you have any questions please let me know, I am in contact with many of the companies. Especially Focalink, so if there is any doubt I can talk to them.

The problem now these days is that everything gets imitated...you have Rays that look a lot like certain Focalink, but now you have copies of those said Ray's.
You have the same thing with TNG's products, I have seen copies of copies if that makes any sense...

So it's nice to know that Mr. Shih wants to do something about it and for now doing this promotional packages deals seems like a smart way to do so. It at least gives the people a chance to buy these cheaper instruments in a relaible envoirmentn that have had a certain quality check, rather then some shaddy online shop we don't know anything about.
Edited by Ikaruka, 9 Jul 2015, 02:52 AM.

carbon

Thanks Tom. The knockoffs and copying is getting pretty absurd.

Brand ambiguity is one thing, but now they are actually selling them under the same brand name on Amazon. I've seen it for both Songbird and STL.

btw - I'd be really interested to know more about which ocarinas on the market that Focalink produces but are sold under different brand names. I know they have distributors, but clarification on that would be great. It would help people make more accurate price comparisons when shopping for ocarinas. Noble does OEM stuff, but most of what I'm aware of has "BY NOBLE" in the name. TNG does OEM manufacturing for STL. I know Focalink has made some ocarinas for Songbird that are now branded as Allegro, but clarification would be awesome.

Even more, getting more information about the quality differences between Rotter's special Focalinks and the Osawa Focalinks. Rotter has said that his is basically the same thing. Getting confirmation about that stuff could let everyone find the best ocarina for the best price.

Ikaruka
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
carbon
9 Jul 2015, 06:46 AM
Thanks Tom. The knockoffs and copying is getting pretty absurd.

Brand ambiguity is one thing, but now they are actually selling them under the same brand name on Amazon. I've seen it for both Songbird and STL.

btw - I'd be really interested to know more about which ocarinas on the market that Focalink produces but are sold under different brand names. I know they have distributors, but clarification on that would be great. It would help people make more accurate price comparisons when shopping for ocarinas. Noble does OEM stuff, but most of what I'm aware of has "BY NOBLE" in the name. TNG does OEM manufacturing for STL. I know Focalink has made some ocarinas for Songbird that are now branded as Allegro, but clarification would be awesome.

Even more, getting more information about the quality differences between Rotter's special Focalinks and the Osawa Focalinks. Rotter has said that his is basically the same thing. Getting confirmation about that stuff could let everyone find the best ocarina for the best price.
Okay, while I can give you pretty much all the information. Trying to explain every brand difference or production line is going to be a long explanation.

I will try to reply with a kinda short answer:

Focalink does indeed produce ocarina for different companies. The reason for that is that every market is different from one another. So some models have slight differences. Also working TOGETHER with other companies is a way of keeping the market healthy and customer friendly.

The Focalinks sold through Songbird are Focalink ocarina that lack the stamp of Stein. However these pieces are the same as the model you will find on the Focalink website. The reason for this is just that Songbird and Focalink wanted to work together, and I assume this was a way to do so. But as far as I am aware there is no real specific difference in the production process aside from the stamp and colouring.

The Focalinks that are sold through Ocarinamusic are the same models as the standard models you will find on the Focalink Webshop. Except for one kind of model the "Stein Exclusive Triple" This model is made specificly for Ocarinamusic. They are made for the European market.

The Focalinks sold by Osawa in Prima Gakki and Studio Fiato (and other stores in Japan) are completly DIFFERENT productions lines...The Osawa Triples are made under a completly different requirement. The sound, the breath requirements, the balance etc. etc. They are different from the normal standard Focalink triples.

Okay, to clear up the confusing, what Rotter tells you is true...to a certain extend....The Exclusive is the closest you will get to an Osawa Triple without actually getting an Osawa.
The reason for this is, they have the same form factor, same fingering style. HOWEVER the Osawa Triple Ocarina line exists out of multiple triples, with each their own specifications. The exclusive is only one specific model for Rotter.
The Osawa has many different triples; Osawa Solo Edition, Osawa Normal, Osawa light, Osawa Anniversary....etc. etc...
So it depends on what model you compare. For example: I can assure you the Osawa Solo Edition is NOT the same as the Stein Exclusive....sure they look the same, but the breath requirements, the sound etc are completly different! The Solo has alot higher breath requirement and earthier tone, while the Exclusive has a brighter sound and lower breath pressure...
I own both myself, and I have used both for my performances. Also have I tried all the models there pretty much are...multiple times when going together to festivals or markets, concerts..
If there is an ocarina I would compare between the Osawa line and Exclusive it would maybe be the Osawa normal (series II) with the exclusive. The normal has a lower breath requirement then the Solo....so it comes closer to the exclusive breath requirements.
It's becomming confusing right....but honestly look at it this way... They are not the same, they just have the same form and fingering....but aside from that, the breath requirements and sound is different.
I own the Focalink Forte, Osawa Solo Edition and Exclusive myself, I have been using these triples for years. All the Focalinks are of a high quality, however they change depending on the market they are located. Just like how a McDonalds changes and has shrimp burgers in Japan...
Of course a FORTE will stay a FORTE, a Dolce stays Dolce in whatever country, the model name stays with the model....but an "Stein exclusive" is not a "Forte" or an Osawa....those are different....

Sorry if it's still kinda unclear, I tried to type this up fast and in a short way. If you have any questions please let me know, I'll gladly help.

BlueNote
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
Got my first oc today, a Focalink AC

Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_20171222_165225_117_768x799_576x599.jpg (115.58 KB)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Asia and Pacific Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ