Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Stein Ocarina (Focalink); Posts regarding Focalink goes here
Topic Started: 24 Apr 2008, 11:45 AM (68,314 Views)
Mikael
Member Avatar

Discuss the beautiful Focalink ocarinas in this thread.

Link to their website:
http://www.focalink.com.tw/index.php
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pyromanaic21
Member Avatar
the one who loves FIRE....
I would like one of their triples they look really neat...

....... :ph43r:

ImmortalOffspring
Member Avatar
One with the floor
The Focalink Double C (Or, their Duet C) is a really nice and versatile Ocarina. Though I feel that the high C and D notes (but especially the C) is just a tad airy, the Ocarina is better to play stronger and louder than the Maparam one.

The looks of the Ocarina is stunning though. Also, as the sub-hole for playing for example E flat is positioned at the left hand, it's slightly easier to play these notes.

I'm thinking I'll make a review while comparing the Focalink (how do you pronounce that anyway?) AC to the Maparam AC. :)

witemp
Member Avatar
Focalink user
I really love focalink. I've now got 2 of them, and i'm planning to buy more... I especially love the :pendant: ocarina's (4 hole) becuase they make me very happy :). The sound is very good, Even on the high note it doesn't get airy. They require normal breathing. In my video i play on my 2 focalinks, as well on my Fabio menaglio. I think the focalinks sound way better.

tuneofwind
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
witemp
Apr 27 2008, 09:12 AM
I really love focalink. I've now got 2 of them, and i'm planning to buy more... I especially love the :pendant: ocarina's (4 hole) becuase they make me very happy :). The sound is very good, Even on the high note it doesn't get airy. They require normal breathing. In my video i play on my 2 focalinks, as well on my Fabio menaglio. I think the focalinks sound way better.

Is that ocarina Left handed ocarinas in you video? I couldn't find it on the site. I'm also left handed. And the funny part I have the exact camera. Good mic but bad quality. It is a skype Blue logitech webcam right?

witemp
Member Avatar
Focalink user
I dont have left handed :ocarina: 's... I'm right-handed... Only my webcam mirrors the pictures when i take them, and i'm to lazy to put them back... ;)

teidon
Double Ocarinist x 2
A while ago I remembered that when I browsed the chinese language site of Focalink some few months ago there were some other products than ocarinas for sale. Well, I had a look at it again and there's a CD and a book for sale. So I send email asking if it were possible to order them (the english site doesn't list them) etc. Here's what Zack Shih said:
"Zack Shih"

" Sandglass In The Windy Valley " album CD,

We invite the Taiwanese multi-chambered ocarina player,
  Mr. Hsu Hao Lun, to play for us. And at the same time,
  we also publish a book to have all the notes and some practices
  for switching chambers inside.

The following is the brief introduction of the CD :

Creativity paints the colors of our life. This unique multi-tube ocarina
  album produced with elaboration by Mr.Cao Deng-Chang & the rising
  producer Zhang Xi-An and sentimental performance played by
  Mr.Xu Hao-Lun, opens new chapters in combination of classical and popular music.

Listen with your hearts, as you will enter a musical world filled with wonder and brilliance.

Price of the album CD is USD 12.00/pc and the book is USD 4.00/ pc.

And as I said to him that I would post this information here and asked if he'd like to add anything to it, this is what he said. Not really that important info but some background knowledge / tidbits.
"Zack Shih"

We have asked some famous producers here to rearrange classics for
      this CD and undoubtedly it costs us much.

Besides, we have also asked the taiwanese multi-chambered ocarina
      player, Hsu Hao-Lun, to record this CD for us. You could see some
      videos from him on Youtube.

In Taiwan, our products representatives are Liu Yung-Tai who is very
      high-ranked wooden recorder player here and Hsu Hao-Lun who is
      professionally dedicated to multi-chambered ocarinas performances here.

In China, our products representative are Shi Feng who also posted
      much videos in Youtube.

The CD is the same that kissing received as a gift some time ago (this) and the book has the notes for the songs found from that CD. The book is obviously in chinese so the lessons for the multi-chambered ocarinas won't be much help for most of you, but I think with such low price some of you might be interested of getting the book for the notes. At least for the time being you have to email Focalink/Zack Shih if you want to buy the CD and/or the book from them.

Youtube links: Hao Lun Hsu & Shi Feng

Also Focalink has those nice looking "straw fired" single ocarinas that comes in a set of 4 and 7 ocarinas. It is possible to order them separately if you want to, just send them email.

---
I ordered the Double Sop-G, straw fired Sop-G (85USD) and the "Arrowhead" (as someone called it) 6-hole pendant. I also wanted to order the CD and the book but Zack Shih decided to give them to me as a gift instead. How nice of him. :D

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
That's awesome, I'll be sure to ask Zack about the CD and book when I make my order at Focalink. That should be when I get my vacation money next month. I'm looking forward to ordering the 4 holes, they are so awesome XD Mhh my wishlist right now is double sop G, mini ocarina in G(yes the arrowhead lol), maybe the set of 4 pendant 6 holes, and the banana, turtle, dolphin, killerwhale........uh yeah man I want alot of Focalinks :wub:

Deleted User
Deleted User

OHMAHGAHWD! T__T

I want a Focarina (lol) SO badly...

I think I'm gonna get either a double Alto C or a double Sop G.

I can't decide... >__>
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I covet thier long neck pendants.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Moonsyne
Apr 29 2008, 07:06 PM
I covet thier long neck pendants.

OMG yes! They are so awesomesauce. xD

I really love the sound of Focalinks in general. :wub:
Quote Post Goto Top

OcarinaNL
Member Avatar
Dutch Mod squad
I orderd the double Soprano G today! :wub:

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Wow thanks for the information teidon!

I love it how Mr. Zack Shih answers all the emails throughly and provides great solutions to things ^_^

teidon
Double Ocarinist x 2
They added the CD and book to their website. :dance: Lookie here

Also they changed the names of their double ocarinas, they were previously "Duet ocarinas". I told Zack that "Double ocarina" would be more correct english term to be used for them. :D

Deleted User
Deleted User

Wohoo!

Awesome. =D
Quote Post Goto Top

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

teidon
Apr 30 2008, 10:53 AM
They added the CD and book to their website. :dance: Lookie here

Also they changed the names of their double ocarinas, they were previously "Duet ocarinas". I told Zack that "Double ocarina" would be more correct english term to be used for them. :D

LOL !!

So you were the culprit behind the names changing to "Double" instead of "Duet" hahahaha! :rofl: :omg: :omfg:

Thanks for helping the album/books available on his site ^_^
Now everyone can enjoy the fine music on that album!
I listen to those songs practically everyday these days! :triple:

Deleted User
Deleted User

kissing
Apr 30 2008, 02:50 PM

So you were the culprit behind the names changing to "Double" instead of "Duet" hahahaha! :rofl: :omg: :omfg:

All hail teidon!!!

*kneels*

:TON:
Quote Post Goto Top

OcarinaNL
Member Avatar
Dutch Mod squad
I orderd the Double sopG! :D
I forgot to add the CD so i mailed Zack Shih and he added it for me.
I got the book for free!!!
Now that service! :lol:

OcarinaNL
Member Avatar
Dutch Mod squad
Got my tracking number :D :D
Only when i enter it says no data :S

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Haha wait on it. It'll probably take a day or two to show up.

OcarinaNL
Member Avatar
Dutch Mod squad
shadowyi
May 2 2008, 07:07 PM
Haha wait on it. It'll probably take a day or two to show up.

Thanks! :lol:
"EPIC RELIEF"

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
I d'no about overseas shipments, but I do know that even when you ship domestically in the US information takes a day to show up in the tracker. It'll be here! 3-4 days right? I think I remember that being quoted for a Focalink delivery..

kitekook
Inline Ocarinist x 4
Mr. Shih is the fastest shipper in the World!
I have ordered three times from him and the packages arrived on the third day.
I do live in San Diego which is near LAX...but still, he gets the packages to the airport the next day and vooom, they are away.
EMS(service he uses...is pretty good, even though a little expensive...but you get what you pay for. :) I had problems with the EMS website(I was putting to many numbers in) remember not to include the 'EMS' start with EE........... :)

Ludwig
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
I have a Focalink Double Alto C and I *love* it. :wub: :wub: :wub: I ordered a Double Bass C, and am patiently awaiting its arrival. Does anyone else have one of 'em? I'm a bit nervous that it'll be too big or not sound that great since I haven't heard anything about it from anyone, but if it's basically a bigger, octave lower version of the Duet C, it'll probably end up being my favorite ocarina.

xruiza
Beginner
I just got mine a few minutes ago X3 I dont know how to play it yet xDD (A SG Double)

Haha hmmm... the higher octave on the double always sounds airy and stuff no matter how much i try D: any suggestions?

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

xruiza
May 5 2008, 09:25 PM
I just got mine a few minutes ago X3 I dont know how to play it yet xDD (A SG Double)

Haha hmmm... the higher octave on the double always sounds airy and stuff no matter how much i try D: any suggestions?

It is your first time with an ocarina, so some hardships is expected :link:

All I can say is, practice, practice, practice. Don't blow too hard, and find the right amount of breath that seems to produce the optimum sound.

The more you play, the better your techniques will become. Also think about your posture, whether you are breathing from your diaphragm (imagine using the air in your belly, rather than just lungs) and do you know how to read sheet music?

xruiza
Beginner
I know the basics when it comes to that but I don't know what notes are what on my ocarina XD.

Mikael
Member Avatar

xruiza
May 6 2008, 01:04 AM
I know the basics when it comes to that but I don't know what notes are what on my ocarina XD.

You should have recieved a fingering chart along with your ocarina. I got one along with my ocarina and one in my email when I ordered it.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

What kind of music do you want to play?

If you want to read sheet music, you can just read straight off, with your first note (all closed, except for the 2 small subholes) as C (or Do).

Your ocarina is tuned in G, so the actual piano note would be different, but for now it doesn't really matter. Wasn't there a fingering chart provided?

xruiza
Beginner
He emailed me one yeah for the AC
and mailed me the ones with numbers.

and for the music, mostly any kind of music xDD

OcarinaNL
Member Avatar
Dutch Mod squad
xruiza
May 6 2008, 01:35 AM
He emailed me one yeah for the AC
and mailed me the ones with numbers.

and for the music, mostly any kind of music xDD

What do you mean with numbers?

teidon
Double Ocarinist x 2
My package from Focalink arrived today. :boogie: It was really well packed. The contents were wrapped in bubble wrap (two layers actually) and somewhere among the bubble wrap were 2 protective bags. Inside the bags were... more bubble wrap! (and an ocarina) Some first impressions follows.

:double: I guess everyone has heard enough about the Double Sop G, so I'll just say 3 things: 1) It's small, 2) it's smaller than you just imagined and 3) it's awesome. It's quite precisely as long as the Single Sop G.

:ocarina: On to the next ocarina, the "straw fired" Single Sop G. The Double Sop G is actually also "straw fired", that is they look similar. Anyways, I really like this ocarina. After having played only few songs with it I'd say it's my favorite ocarina (I also have Maparam Alto C and Triple and WPN Alto F (which is actually Sop F if we use the same naming method as Focalink/Maparam)). It requires very little breath (less than Maparam Alto C) and I like the sound it makes. Also the finger holes are positioned really well, I didn't have any trouble what so ever playing with it from the moment I picked it up. The sub-holes are also very easy to use.

:pendant: On to the next ocarina, the "Arrowhead" 6-hole Sop G pendant. The funny thing is that this is also "straw fired" (I took the black one, there's also red), so I now have a little family of similarily colored ocarinas and a minor headache (the smell they have...). As this is my first pendant I can't really compare it to other pendants, but the sound is good, that I can tell. The fingering chart that came with it doesn't have low-C-sharp and low-D-sharp for some reason. I used another fingering chart found from OU forum to figure out how to play them. Half-covering holes isn't fun, especially not when you need to half-cover a hole the size of a needle. This ocarina is small by the way, but it's still suprisingly easy to play.

Hmm, the CD. It's pretty good. Distorted electric guitar is one of the last things you expect to hear being played with ocarina in a same classical song. Well, listen to this album and you don't need to expect/imagine that anymore.

And last but not least, the book. For only 4USD it's quite big, a whopping 64 A4-pages. For some reason there is a separate paper (A3 folded = 4 pages) that has a song in 2 versions and some text/lesson. The book starts with some kind of history of multi-chambered ocarinas. There's images of Maparam double and triple and Aketa double (I didn't know there is Aketa doubles) among others and of course the whole family of Focalink doubles and triples. Then there's some lessons for double/triple ocarinas. The lessons have musical notations (staves and bunch of notes on them) and lots of text. For example "play the scale by slurring from the beggining to end", "play the scale by doing staccatos", "mix of slurs and staccatos" etc. Then some chamber switching actions etc etc. So while it's all in chinese I think it's probably usefull even if you don't understand chinese. Of course if this book were ever translated to english... That'd be totally awesome!

Beside those lessons there's of course the notes for the songs heard in the CD plus some more. I haven't counted how many songs there are in total, but there's atleast over 10. The notes are certainly not meant for beginners. They have key signatures (2 flats or sharps is the max signature), there's some repeat marks (look at some of the kissing's sheet music and you get the idea) and to top it all of some/most of the songs have chords (= 2 notes at the same time)... :blink: Between some of the songs is some kind of lesson about how to play the chords. I haven't tried to play any songs from the book yet, except for one, "Village Rain", but I knew that already. I have the exact same version in my sheet music collection, which I stole from Kissing. One more thing, the most important: All the songs are transposed for C ocarina. And one more thing: There's no songs for Single ocarinas. Oh, there's also numeral tabs for the songs heard in the CD, but not for the other songs. :wacko:

---

That was a long post. Anyways, I'm very happy with this purchase. The ocarinas were 234USD total including 40USD shipping. Mr. Zack Shih decided to give the CD and the book as a gift for me.

:TON: don

Mikael
Member Avatar

Congrats on your new ocarinas teidon! I would really love that set of strawfired ocarinas as well. I think I will wait until I can afford the whole set :lol:

I'd think the book would be very difficult to understand with it being in chinese and all.

teidon
Double Ocarinist x 2
Rintintin
May 6 2008, 08:44 PM
I'd think the book would be very difficult to understand with it being in chinese and all.

Yea, there's alot of text you won't understand but as the lessons have notes (staff with bunch of notes) besides the text so you can understand atleast something. Though it would ofcourse be nice to know what all the text means as there's probably some tips and tricks and what not good information. But ofcourse there's the notes (sheet music) for bunch of songs so I'd say it's definetely worth the 4USD even if one wouldn't understand the text.

And the "straw fired" ocarinas looks really good. Unfortuantely my Single Sop G is quite dark, there's few "light areas" and they are very small. The biggest "light area" is in the mouth piece - behind it. :( My Double Sop G on the other hand looks really great. It would certainly be nice to own the whole 7 set of them. Just that 1000USD + 115USD (shipping) + taxes (+25% in my case) is pretty... expensive, to say the least. But if anyone feels like donating the set for me, I'll gladly take it. :P :D

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
Quote:

a minor headache (the smell they have...).

:blink: What do they smell like? :poke:

I'm wanting to get the dbl Sop G next and I have a very sensitive nose XD

xruiza
Beginner
Haha im getting better at it ^^, Though I'm learning songs by ear... >>;; xD lol

I can kind of get the sound out of the higher notes(kind of xD) and learned some songs already.

I'm loving my ocarina so much though X3 played it the whole day during school

Okls
Member Avatar
Beginner
I just got an email from Mr. Shih saying that he's shipped my order of a Double AC. It's hard to tell what the tracking website for the shipment means, but I figure it will probably arrive here by tuesday at the latest. How long did it take for others to get their focalinks? Though not all my ocarina news is good, My soprano G from stl just broke over the weekend :( (even though, the way it broke it still plays fine for most notes) Though I'll probably glue it back together, it will be nice to get a new (non-broken) ocarina. (I'm sure even if it wasn't broken the my soprano wouldn't compare to the focalink)

Oh, and he is apparently throwing in a copy of that book for free. :D

Gah, I can't wait... :boogie:

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
Ooh goodness this book has piqued my interest. I don't suppose anyone is willing to mail me their copy and I'll translate it for them? :D

kitekook
Inline Ocarinist x 4
Myung
May 6 2008, 09:13 PM
Quote:

a minor headache (the smell they have...).

:blink: What do they smell like? :poke:

I'm wanting to get the dbl Sop G next and I have a very sensitive nose XD

They smell like wet straw....at least its better than the wet straw smell I grew up with(my dad had race horses...yep, my job clean out the stalls :huh: )
I wiped down my set with a damp(almost wet cloth)
aired them out overnight
and it made it a lot better.
They also had a ....taste...that was not sooo great....wiping them down made that better as well.
Now,a week or two later, they really do not smell or taste bad.

OcarinaNL
Member Avatar
Dutch Mod squad
My double Soprano G arrived yesterday! :lol:
Wich is pretty fast it was shipped on monday its insane quick!
First impression : WOW!!! i love its small but not to small for my hands and the Cd and Book are very cool although i cant read it the sheet speaks for its self and there are some tips on playing both chambers at once.
I havent had time to listen to the cd hope to do that today.

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
OcarinaNL
May 7 2008, 08:02 AM
My double Soprano G arrived yesterday! :lol:

Damn that is FAST O__O

I want my vacation money T_______T

Ohw how does yours smell and taste btw???

OcarinaNL
Member Avatar
Dutch Mod squad
Myung
May 7 2008, 09:46 AM
OcarinaNL
May 7 2008, 08:02 AM
My double Soprano G arrived yesterday!  :lol:

Damn that is FAST O__O

I want my vacation money T_______T

Ohw how does yours smell and taste btw???

Havent smelled it yet :huh:
Why are they bad smellers then :chew:

:cookie: :TON: :pringles:

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
With regards to the book, a certain member of TON has decided to email the PDF they've started scanning, so I can start translation! :lol:

Myung
Member Avatar
= Mighty Mohawkus =
shadowyi
May 7 2008, 03:23 PM
With regards to the book, a certain member of TON has decided to email the PDF they've started scanning, so I can start translation! :lol:

Yay :boogie:

Awesomesauce!!! (copyright Gasspoo)

shadowyi
Member Avatar
dysfunctional family
On second thought, I sent Mr. Shih an email asking if he wanted a translation. Maybe y'all will get free copies of a possible translation! I don't want to get sued.. :P

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Asia and Pacific Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ