Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Maparam; Discuss Maparam ocarinas here
Topic Started: 23 Apr 2008, 08:36 PM (26,841 Views)
King Ocarina
Member Avatar
Pére Poches Drôles
I've only recently discovered the end of Maparam

You will be missed.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

droy
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Heads up. If anyone needs a Maparam double Alto C. I just posted mine on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250791267433

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

This is sad. I really loved the sound a Maparam offered. It was so nice and earthy! Oh well, guess that's going to either get scratched off or stay on the wish list for a long, long time.

I wish Mr. Kim the best of luck and I hope his future ventures prove to sustain him better.

Fallon
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
After reading how 'godlike' the Maparams apparently are- I spent quite some time watching videos of people playing them, looking up photos, reading reviews, and listening to sound clips. I found one being sold on eBay and was seriously turned off by the price- but decided that I could resell it later [as you all will notice I do that a lot LOL] if I didn't care for it. Didn't want to miss the opportunity since they aren't being made anymore.

Anyway- I received it today and it absolutely surpassed my expectations. It's gorgeous, the body itself AND the holes are small [perfect for someone like me with little fingers], and all of the notes [even the high notes] are so clean- without requiring the acute bend. [Attributes which are described in pre-existing reviews] I could not be any happier with it.

Now to find myself a Maparam single chamber AC...

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Congrats on your new Maparam, Fallon! :boogie:

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Out of curiosity, could anyone who owns a Maparam tell me what colour they are? Not the finish, but the actual clay. Is it white, like this?
Spoiler: click to toggle
or is it beige/skin tone?

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Hmmm...I'm not scratching my Maparam to find out. :)

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

I don't think that Maparams are white underneath. I'd peek inside the Double AC I used to have and it was pretty much the same color as the outside. I think Minsoo Kim just used a simple shellac or some other clear coat to finish the ocarina. I have seen Paolo Gavelli sell white Maparams on Ebay, though those were probably special one-offs specifically for him.

The tan color of Maparam ocarinas is more subtle than what you see in pictures.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

I haven't seen a white Maparam before.

I did notice though the Maparam and Colombo ocarinas are nearly identical in color. See photo below of mine.

Posted Image
Edited by Wollemi Pine, 7 Feb 2014, 08:14 PM.

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
The white one I posted belongs to (or at least used to) Nancy Rumbel. I just didn't know wether it was different clay or different shellac.
Edited by TheZ, 7 Feb 2014, 09:45 PM.

tytoalba
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2

Spoiler: click to toggle
Hi
My Alto C Maparam.
Are the summary of evolution of this model:
the upper one of the first types. Mouthpiece has a very elongated.
down one of the latter types.
Shortened the Mouthpiece and practiced the hole for the Neckstrap.
Edited by tytoalba, 19 Feb 2015, 09:56 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Asia and Pacific Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ