Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Fabio Menaglio ocarinas; Talk about these authentic Italian ocs !
Topic Started: 11 Mar 2008, 01:50 PM (19,109 Views)
Ocarinadiva
Member Avatar
Play what makes you happy. - Achint

I just measured the Sol 4 left pinky hole.

14 mm.

Edited by Ocarinadiva, 11 Jun 2012, 06:55 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

starhero
Member Avatar
Kenjo The Pomeranian!!!
Eeeeeeeeeek! My left pinky is barely 10mm wide!

Krešimir Cindrić

starhero
12 Jun 2012, 05:01 AM
Eeeeeeeeeek! My left pinky is barely 10mm wide!
So is mine, yet I have no problem in closing the pinky hole (so it is not a simple comparison: if finger_width > hole_diameter then ok, else, not).

However, it is a real problem for people with small hands, especially women. If you cannot close a hole with your finger, you can always close it with a sticker, but that will make it so that you cannot play high notes, obviously.

For more reasons than this, it is always best to try out an ocarina before buying it.

miguel from portugal
Member Avatar
Portuguese ocarinist
Krešimir Cindrić
12 Jun 2012, 09:35 AM
starhero
12 Jun 2012, 05:01 AM

For more reasons than this, it is always best to try out an ocarina before buying it.

That's a normal problem with lots of instruments on the tenor and bass ranges, as a euphonium profesional I had lots of problems with small euph or tuba players to fit on the mouthpiece, size of rotors or even certain positions of the valves (and of course the height).
All my life I love on euph brand but my personal caracteristics doesn't fit on it, I don't have a good sound or a good 4. valve position (i need to be taller and larger)...

On the big ocarinas the size of the holes and the distance of them sometimes is a problem, for exemple I have smal finger and I doubt that I can play a quadupla from Pacchioni. I'm unable to play in a Moeck tenor recorder for the same reason...

It's important that the player asume that that issues are not a problem, if it is impossible it's impossible, don't wort the efort because it only lead to depresion and doom on that instrument group. It's better to lead the player to the size that fit him and help in to fall in love for it. If it can't play a bass it can be a excelent alto...
It's not logical to ask the manufacters to change is construtuion to something like «one size fits all»... that's reducing the qualities and caracteristics of a certain brand/instrument.

DustyLad
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 4
I'm looking to buy something but I've yet to make up my mind, and i'm interested in buying a Menaglio as well.

I want to ask about buying from Groth Music, has anyone had problems problems ordering from them?
To be honest one the main reason i've never ordered a Menaglio is because I'm afraid I'd get a defective instrument..

Its been said many times that it's best to test these out yourself, but no such luck for me..

melodican
Member Avatar
Behold! 'Tis the flute of my people!

The vast majority of the time, ordering from Groth Music is just fine. I've never once had an issue, and all four of my Menaglios come from there. The "quality control" story has been brought up a lot more often than the problem actually merits - it's ideal with any ocarina to try it in person if possible, but this isn't a necessity with Menaglios.

DustyLad
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 4
That puts my mind more at ease, thanks Melodican.

melodican
Member Avatar

Not a problem, hopefully you'll enjoy what you get! :)

RJ924
Member Avatar
My ocarina has no hair...either

I've ordered from Groth two times without a problem. I don't know anything about them though.

RJ

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
They're great ocarinas and I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you decide on for a model.

I recorded this with my triple set of Menaglios:

DustyLad
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 4
Okay, I think I finally made up my mind, at last.
I'm going to buy a Do3 and Sol2, hopefully all is well when I get them.

Thanks for reassuring me guys.
I also liked you putting up your progress with the Menaglio RJ924, how goes it today? Do you still play?

Very nice FortyTwoBlades, a bit hard to hear you over the music though.

miguel from portugal
Member Avatar
Portuguese ocarinist
DustyLad
17 Oct 2012, 02:08 PM
Okay, I think I finally made up my mind, at last.
I'm going to buy a Do3 and Sol2, hopefully all is well when I get them.

I have a Sol2 and a Do1... they are lovelly.

For shure you will not regret.

RJ924
Member Avatar

I do still play it occasionally, but I am mostly playing my Rotter and Gosselink ocarinas these days. For the soprano G, I have fallen in love with my MO again. Good luck on your purchase. I hope they are what you are looking for.
RJ

DustyLad
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 4
Thanks bud.

Ordered a Menaglio DO3 on Sunday, so now the wait begins.
The reason I'm here is to ask about tracking, do the folks at groth send that or not?

Anyone in Florida order from them before? I'm wondering how long a wait, though I guess not more than 5 days or so.
Edited by DustyLad, 29 Oct 2012, 05:50 PM.

RJ924
Member Avatar

I don't remember.

DustyLad
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 4
Oc arrived yesterday, good shipping from Groth.

Didn't have a chance to play yesterday as it arrived late in the day, but I tested it out this morning, and according to the tuner all is well.

Don't have a problem with the breath requirement either, I will more or less work with the tuner to get the best tone possible though.

Good day all ^^

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

Does a happy dance for Dusty! :boogie:

melodican
Member Avatar

DustyLad
2 Nov 2012, 02:40 PM

Didn't have a chance to play yesterday as it arrived late in the day, but I tested it out this morning, and according to the tuner all is well.

Don't have a problem with the breath requirement either, I will more or less work with the tuner to get the best tone possible though.

Good day all ^^
Splendid! I'm glad you're finding it manageable. The more you practice, the more natural the breath requirement feels.

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
Woohoo! Glad it got to you quickly. I find the breath req very natural for me to the point at which I feel held back a bit on most other ocarinas. You can do bends fairly dramatically on Menaglios as well, I feel.

Wollemi Pine
Member Avatar
Triple-Double Ocarinist

DustyLad
2 Nov 2012, 02:40 PM

So delivery was in 3 days? That's quick.

DustyLad
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 4
Very happy with it, love the high volume, which is why i will be getting the little brothers next.
And i'm headed towards the park early in the morn to make some real noise ;), can't play properly in the house most the time.

Really want to get that high note without the acute bend, i've been testing myself by doing it and then playing without, and got some pretty good results a couple of times.

Thanks guys, and.. :boogie:

E
Yep it arrived pretty damn fast, i was surprised.
Edited by DustyLad, 2 Nov 2012, 11:30 PM.

FortyTwoBlades
Member Avatar
Plays With Sharp Things
You shouldn't need the acute bend with a ten hole ocarina. :) And yeah--play loud and proud! I appreciate "gutsy" ocarinas, and there aren't a lot of them out there comparatively. Enough of "soft breath" variations of models--I want to see makers come out with more "high breath" ones! :D

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
DustyLad
2 Nov 2012, 11:30 PM
Very happy with it, love the high volume, which is why i will be getting the little brothers next.
And i'm headed towards the park early in the morn to make some real noise ;), can't play properly in the house most the time.

Really want to get that high note without the acute bend, i've been testing myself by doing it and then playing without, and got some pretty good results a couple of times.

Thanks guys, and.. :boogie:

E
Yep it arrived pretty damn fast, i was surprised.

It will come with practice. Try using a tuner to make sure you are using the exact right breath pressure, and make sure your articulation is good. Those things tend to help with that.

melodican
Member Avatar

I find it easiest to get them out and in-tune if you think of the high notes as being the most "open" and powerful notes. Don't constrict anything when you play them and you'll like the results.

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
I just remembered something else that I think helps the most. When playing the really high notes, try making sure that the air isn't hitting your left hand. If it is, try tilting it some so that it isn't, and see if that helps. I don't have a Menaglio, so all of these comments are based upon my Gosselink, but they should still apply. I noticed that when I do the acute bend my left hand is never blocking the air, so that could be why.

I think that there is a chance that that is why it works on a twelve hole, but I don't have one so I can't test.

DustyLad
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 4
FortyTwoBlades
I've always preferred the louder ocarinas, one of the reasons I like my MOs so much these days:)
Though I did go through the love hate thing with them.

SuperBobKing
I was just about to say the same thing, the left hand was in the way..

Had to move my hand more than I was used to when I played a twelve hole, my hands are a bit bigger than some so it will take some getting used to is all.

Anyway when I moved that hand further away the sound was nice and clear.

Melodican
I agree, that's what I was thinking about when playing today.
Played the scales and high notes for the most part of the day then stuck to 2 or 3 songs before heading home (a 2 mile walk lol).

Edited by DustyLad, 4 Nov 2012, 01:07 AM.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

So this question has been bugging me for a long time. Does anyone have any trouble covering the pinky hole on a Menaglio Sol 4? My pinky is 10-11 mm like people's in this thread, and Kres said he can cover his with his pinky. So I've always wondered if I too could cover one. Anyone with a small pinky like mine able to cover the pinky hole without any issue?

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

It needs some serious practice, that's for sure. It's not easy to cover it. Doable, but not easy.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Thanks Achint. I measured the thumb hole of my Alto C ocarina, and it comes out at about 13 mm which I can cover with correct positioning of my pinky. I still wonder about the Sol4 though.

This ocarina has long been on my "can't purchase" list and that bugs the hell out of me.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I tried it at Cris's house and decided that it was not for me. Too much air leakage from my tiny pinky. I had considered getting the whole set, but if I can't play one, I won't be getting the set. I'll just get one, and that would be the Do5.

melodican
Member Avatar

I wouldn't worry too much - the pinkie hole is large, to be sure, but even below-average size hands can usually cover it adequately (yes, I just admitted to having small hands).

If you've got really skinny fingers, that's another matter, but that particular hole on the Sol 4 is far enough away from your other fingers that you could wrap some gauze or something around your pinkie if you absolutely had to, without interfering with your playing technique much (not that I recommend it). Then again, it largely depends on the song. The Sol 4 really is at its best as an ensemble instrument, and I haven't seen a lot of septet arrangements that require its highest notes. You may just need to be able to rest your finger there without moving it around.
Edited by melodican, 22 Oct 2013, 08:41 PM.

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Back again! My Menaglio AC arrived, and I am wondering how to pronounce Menaglio? Is the G hard or soft? Sorry for being so ignorant!

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

https://translate.google.com/#auto/it/Fabio%20Menaglio

This should help!

Pat Anderson
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 2
Bateleur
28 Aug 2014, 06:11 AM
Thanks, that's what I have been saying, good to confirm it!

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Historically the local language in Budrio was not Italian, but Emilian or Bolognese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emilian_dialect
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolognese_dialect

Not many people still speak it, but there is an effort to revive it, and there are quite lot of recently published books in it. It's closer to Catalan or Provencal than to Italian. I've no idea how you pronounce "Menaglio" in it, though.

Amerred
Member Avatar
Can't play pendants
Looks like he's started an eBay account. Only selling sets at the moment, but glad to see he's branching out, especially since more people will be likely to see it or possibly be more open to buying stuff from him when it's through eBay.

Whynaut
Inline Ocarinist x 3
I joined this board after attempting to buy one of his double ocarinas. If someone is selling theirs let me know!

TheZ
Member Avatar
Multichamber Ocarinist
Whynaut
25 Dec 2017, 08:52 PM
I joined this board after attempting to buy one of his double ocarinas. If someone is selling theirs let me know!
Growth music used to carry the double. They used to order the G6 and C7 by request, so I wonder if you could contact them and see if they could order one for you.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · European Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ