Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Fabio Menaglio ocarinas; Talk about these authentic Italian ocs !
Topic Started: 11 Mar 2008, 01:50 PM (19,583 Views)
kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Link to their site:
http://www.ocarina.it/index-e.htm

Spoiler: click to toggle

A comment:

These ocarinas are one of the oldest in Italy, and are said to stick close to the original 10-hole ocarina invented by Giuseppe Donati.

Here is a sample of their Alto C

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4HR0L71aR4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Felosial
Beginner
Hey, I now own a Fabio Menaglio Ocarina, it´s tuned in the key of C and it´s ony 13cm long.

Here a huuge Pic of it

OcarinaNL
Member Avatar
Dutch Mod squad
O got the Sol2a( Soprano G )
But its broken :(

Deleted User
Deleted User

@ Felosial: Could you please post a smaller pic?
I guess that's a bit TOO big.
It really kinda destroys the forum's layout.

And aww, sorry to hear that OcarinaNL... :(
Quote Post Goto Top

witemp
Member Avatar
Focalink user
I own 2 fabio menaglio's, the Do3 and the Sol2... The Do3 sounds like [CENSORED], reall. Compared to my Focalink G and C Soprano's it really is bad. I would not reccomend buying them. Way to expensive, now the euro is about 1.60 dollar... I'll try to upload some video's of it, but i'm having a busy time with school exams...

IchibodCrane
Member Avatar
Needs to be on more often

dang, I so want one of those beauties! :ocarina:

Mikael
Member Avatar

I don't doubt that I will some day get a menaglio ocarina. They look very nice.

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

As witemp says, they're probably not amazing ocarinas compared to some of the more modern ocarinas of the orient. But I think Fabio Menaglio ocarinas are authentic italian ocarinas that stay faithful to the original 10-hole transverse ocarina design.
It is from this design that many of today's ocarinas were developed from and born :D

If I get one, it would be more for historical interest as well as playing :)

Ian McConnell
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
The Fabios are copies of the best ever made. In my opinion I have never heard a better flute than the old italians, they sing like no other. I have some made by Donati's friends that are beyond anything I have ever come accross. They were professional players and makers, kind of like some of the better ocarinas of the east now. It takes a player to make a fine oc. I sold my fabio set of 5 a month or two ago because I never used them. I am not saying they are bad flutes, but in my unique situation, I have the originals so I don't need a copy. I also have over 100 ocarinas so getting rid of some is a good idea. The ocarina press was popularized by Vicinelli, thats what fabio copied. Vicinelli is called the Antonio Stradivari of ocarinas, he set the standard. I wanted to mention that I want one of his double ocarinas and the mignon, they are pretty unique.

Toratas
Pendant Ocarinist
witemp
Apr 26 2008, 10:24 AM
I own 2 fabio menaglio's, the Do3 and the Sol2... The Do3 sounds like [CENSORED], reall.

Hey thats my very first Ocarina ^^
But i guess you do have a point. I am most certain that it has to do with me being a beginner but I still can't lose the feeling that it's not all my fault :D
Guess I'll have to try something else some times :blink:

@Kissing: I told you it sounds strange :P

wannabeOcarinaplaya
Member Avatar
Traceur in training :]
ooo that was the one i was going to get to be my first ocarina

But then it didnt come so i gave up on it so yea i bought an ocarina off the internet from Stlocarina.com and got a 9 hole soprano ocarina

So yea lol xDD im not relying on SamAsh for orders so yea ! :oldoc:

ZaffoGMT
Member Avatar
The Kortalian Ocarina Inventor
Ooh, I love the classic Italian styl ocarina! I have made a few that look the part, but are only half Italian (I am Irish/Italian, so I'm half Italian... get it?)

Fabio Menaglio's ocarinas sound better than my tenor from STL, but not as good as my soprano from Focalink.

ZaffoGMT
Member Avatar
Can someone answer this: what is 47,00 Euros in USD?

Deleted User
Deleted User

ZaffoGMT
21 Apr 2009, 02:22 AM
Can someone answer this: what is 47,00 Euros in USD?
Use Google. :B
Quote Post Goto Top

jwchargers13
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
I actually think Fabio Menaglio ocarinas sound really really nice. I heard this one young girl on youtube play an alto-c, and it really sounded excellent. I'm not sure how the sopranos are when played live, but I was really impressed with the alto-c

kissing
Member Avatar
tyrannical dictator

Darn, I suddenly want a Fabio Menaglio Alto G... but there doesn't seem to be an online seller who delivers to Australia -_-

kyleismr.smiley
Member Avatar
<(*~*)>
My DO 1 came in the mail only yesterday!
:D

Its so cute! :D

Mikael
Member Avatar

Awesome. How is it to play?

kyleismr.smiley
Member Avatar
<(*~*)>
Like kissing said Armisis said:

"Its a little hard to get some notes out of it."

But only the top three because this thins is tiny! But I got used to it. The notes can be a tad airy, then when you give them enough air the ocarina can shriek like a whistle.
Its fun to have all the holes open, then roll your tongue and make it sound like a police whistle. :rofl:
:D

atkeane
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
I just played the Do 5 at a music store today, and I was amazed at the sound, so rich... It also enticed little kids around me, only I was playing Concerning Hobbits rather than the Bremen March.

Ocarinas Di Budrio are definitely something I will look into, I just didn't particularly like the fact that the Do 5 was only an 8 hole...

Krešimir Cindrić

Yes, Do5, Sol6 and Do7 have only 8 holes, and a range of a ninth, (i.e Do5 from C4 to D5, Sol6 from G3 to A4, Do7 from C3 to D3).

It is necessary for them to have a smaller range, because otherwise they would require too much breath (in a way that they would be very uncomfortable to play), and still be airy on the top notes. And the left pinky hole would be too large on an ocarina lower than Sol4. The same problem has Sol4 - it has 10 holes, but it's very hard to make the top notes clear on it (al least without acute bend), and it requires a lot of air so your breathing technique has to be really good to play any longer phrases. Do3 doesn't have that problem (although the top notes do tend to be airy the first few months of playing, until you get used to it) and Sol2 and Do1 are quite easy to "tame" (with a little practice) and are not so air hungry.

A good alternative to Menaglio ocarinas are those from Mr. Giorgio Pacchioni. I don't have any of his ocarinas yet, but I've already told him that I'm planing to order the whole "settimino" at the end of this year, i.e. Do1, Sol2, Do3, Sol4, Do5, Sol6 and Sol7. It's going to cost me 1079 euros (that's without shipping and he has moved from Budrio to Brazil :( ), so now I'm trying to save up that money. Right now I'm waiting for my double Pacchioni ocarina to arrive (it is not yet finished) and I'm very excited :eager:

I'm also planing to make a very large review of Ocarina di Budrio and make comparison between Menaglio's and Pacchioni's ocarinas, but I do not have any means of recording audio (except my cell phone and the quality is terrible).
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 25 Jun 2009, 02:58 PM.

Krešimir Cindrić

If you live in the USA a good place to order Fabio Menaglio's ocarinas is this:

http://grothmusic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/c-Ocarinas.html?L+scstore+clby8447ffdcd6dc+1248577551

(sorry about the double post, I just wanted to bump the thread, since this is new information - at least to me)
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 25 Jul 2009, 10:00 AM.

Dhalphir
Member Avatar
Opinionated Jerk
nothing wrong with bumping a thread with relevant info

ZaffoGMT
Member Avatar
I want one of these ocarinas, but probably will never get around to it...

Roger
Member Avatar
(O_O)
I just ordered from the link that kcindric posted, sol2 since its one of the cheapest I could spend for at the moment (Total of 43USD including the shipping, via paypal ), tell you guys about it once i've tried to play it. Though the concise review Ill leave it to kcindric.

Krešimir Cindrić

Wow, that's a good news. I hope you'll be satisfied with it. :)

Don't worry if at first it seems airy and generally bad sounding (that was the case with me) - with a little practice you will uncover it's beauty.

About that review... I really need a microphone do do it properly. I really like the one Ocarinadiva has (AKG Perception 220 or 420) but it's very expensive and as soon as I save some money I spend it on ocarinas (OcCD I guess). :(

speckles
Member Avatar
I’ve been hypnotized

I have a Do 5Ş: :D

Krešimir Cindrić

That's a very pretty ocarina, Speckles. :love: I think it is one of the loudest bass C ocarinas out there.

I'm going to buy one, probably next year, together with Sol 6a and Do 7a - these three ocarinas are going to cost me more than 1500 euros - but then I'm going to have a complete settimino (Do 1a, Sol 2a, Do 3a, Sol 4a, Do 5a, Sol 6a and Do 7a)
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 3 Aug 2009, 09:02 AM.

Roger
Member Avatar
(O_O)
I just got my Sol2 today. I love it, though I have allot of room for improvement.

Ordering from Groth Music was ok, delivery was fast. worth the 43.90 USD I paid ^_^, I might purchase again but only when I have improved well on my sol2.

a note: Admittedly Budrian ocarinas are not for everyone. You need to GROW with it, its not a "right out of the box" ocarina, it needs time, dedication, and admittance to make it play as beautifully as Mr. Fabio and Mr. Bernagozzi. If you are willing to do that, this ocarina is for you.
Edited by Roger, 3 Aug 2009, 11:47 PM.

Panch
Member Avatar
The Whistlemaker

I have much admiration for Ocarina di Budrio, especially considering they were the guys who started it all. :D

I absolutely love the shape of Fabio Menaglio's ocs, though I wish the finish was a little more refined. I like characteristic roughness, but if they had a slightly less amount, similar to MapAram... Oh God, they'd be perfect. <3
Even though it'd somewhat drain the authenticity, I wonder how it'd look glazed...

The lack of 12-holes really doesn't bother me, as fipple bending is an unbelievably simple technique. At least on my ocarinas, anyway. Does anyone know how easy it is to fipple bend on a Menaglio? D:

Considering buying one next year, but right now my focus is on high-end 12-holes.

Krešimir Cindrić

Panch
9 Aug 2009, 04:08 PM
Even though it'd somewhat drain the authenticity, I wonder how it'd look glazed...

The lack of 12-holes really doesn't bother me, as fipple bending is an unbelievably simple technique. At least on my ocarinas, anyway. Does anyone know how easy it is to fipple bend on a Menaglio? D:
EDIT: You can see Fabio Galliani playing a glazed Menaglio ocarina in this video. It was decorated by a ceramist Lorenza Mignoli.

You are right about finish, it's quite rough, but I don't really care about looks, because the sound they produce is breathtakingly beautiful (and loud!).

Fipple bending is very easy for a single semitone below the tonic (the leading tone). For deeper notes it's quite hard, because one can easily be out of tune and these notes have a poor timbre. I can play up to three semitones on all of my Menaglio ocarinas, but I find only one semitone below the tonic practical enough to be used when playing a piece.

Soprano ocarinas (Do 1a and Sol 2a) can play up to four overblown semitones above the top note and this is very easy to achieve - and the timbre is great.

When I say very easy I mean in the context of playing ocarina di Budrio, everything is hard on these ocarinas. If you're used to play ocarinas which require a little air and even pressure throughout these ocarinas will be very difficult for you to play, until you adjust to it.

Fabio Menaglio's ocarinas have a very stable intonation and are usually perfectly tuned.
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 21 Aug 2009, 12:15 PM.

Panch
Member Avatar
The Whistlemaker

kcindric
9 Aug 2009, 05:42 PM
You are right about finish, it's quite rough, but I don't really care about looks, because the sound they produce is breathtakingly beautiful (and loud!).
They definitely have a certain unique tone that's not present in most ocarinas available. I still intend on eventually purchasing one regardless of how they look, but was just commenting on what would have made them perfect. XD

While I prefer quiet to semi-loud ocarinas, one with a booming volume would be great for stage performances without a mic or outdoors!

Quote:

If you're used to play ocarinas which require a little air, these ocarinas will be very difficult for you to play, until you adjust to it.

I'm aware of this... but I'm willing to put the effort if I know that ocarina isn't a lost cause, which I know isn't the case for Mr. Menaglio's. :)

Thanks a lot for the help, Kcindric! :D

IceWind91
Member Avatar
Ocarinist - Clarinetist - Composer

I've been looking for a bass oc for quite some time now, and I'm thinking a Menaglio Do 5 is a good option; I've heard that it's loud and good for ensemble playing, and it's not very expensive. The only thing that makes me a bit leery to buy is the reduced range compared to a 12-hole.

Can fipple bending be done on a bass?

Krešimir Cindrić

Do 5a has only 8 holes. That means it's range is one whole note over octave (C4-D5). I believe it is possible to play a B3 on it with the fipple bend, though. A very limited range nevertheless. Definitely no overblowing (only possible on Do 1a and Sol 2a). But it has a great sound quality (strong, clean, passionate tone, with a very little airiness for character) and it's probably the loudest bass C ocarina in existence (once you spend some time and effort to get used to it and learn to get a clean tone out of it - before that it may seem like a crappy ocarina - but nothing could be farther from the truth). And it's not very expensive at 138 euros.

Sol 6a and Do 7a are even deeper sounding ocarinas (Sol 6a is a bass G and Do 7a is a contrabass C), but they are very loud nevertheless. Only 8 holes, though. And VERY expensive (more than 500 euros for Sol 6a and more than 700 for Do 7a). But I think it's worth it - when I buy them I'll tell you all about them :D
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 9 Aug 2009, 11:30 PM.

DavidRamos
Member Avatar

Had a chance to play the Sol 2a at Ocarina Slam in Seattle...that is a powerful little instrument! Definitely want to add it to my collection soon :)

CommDante
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
The sound-files on the website sounded pretty nice to me. How are your personal experience compared to those sound-bits?

Krešimir Cindrić

I have about one year of experience with ocarina di Budrio, and a very little experience with other ocarinas.

It may take you quite some time to get a clean tone out of them since they're not the easiest ocarinas to play. Nevertheless, ocarina is one of the easiest instruments to start playing (although it takes as much practice and time to master it as any other instrument). I think Focalink ocarinas are a safer choice for people not so dedicated to playing the ocarina, but then you'll miss out all that is great about ocarina di Budrio.

I simply adore the sound of ocarinas made by Mr. Menaglio - it is passionate, loud and expressive. I'm probably biased, but I think these are the best ocarinas in the world currently made.

moomaster
Member Avatar
No seriously, I'm not a cow. I'm Cogsworth instead.

it looks a lot like the florintine from stl.....
did they rip it off?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Menaglio's Ocarina History tells of a long tradition going back to Giuseppe Donati.
Quote Post Goto Top

moomaster
Member Avatar

im sorry i should have made that clearer i meant did stl rip off of fabio menaglio

Sweet Nightmare
Member Avatar
SOLDIER, First Class
I'm not a huge fan of the shape(looks a little funky to me), but I may try one of these one day when I get some spare cash and/or a job. ^-^ They sound like they can be wonderful instruments with enough practice.

@moomaster: Not directly Menaglio, but they did 'rip off' the Italian style... and admit it. It makes many fans of the Itialian style ocarinas angry because of how inaccurate the replica truly is. ...Or something to that effect from what I've seen posted. ^^; Or maybe they just don't like copy cats. I know I generally don't.

Roger
Member Avatar
(O_O)
Personal experience I cannot even say since Im still training on it, It does take allot of breath and technique, I tried it outside in the open and it sounds great. Start on A sol 2 or Do 3, Im struggling with my Sol4

@kcindric: I need your formal instruction on the sol4 lol ^_^.

Krešimir Cindrić

Moomaster, don't even compare "Florentine" ocarinas with beautiful ocarinas made by Fabio Menaglio. They have nothing in common, except the superficial looks. They don't even look similar, if look at a bigger photo.

Fabio Menaglio's ocarinas are improved copies of ocarinas made by the great Cesare Vicinelli. They are improved in a way that they have a bit more stable intonation and are more comfortable to play (I wouldn't know because I haven't had the chance to play a Vicinelli ocarina - would give my kidney for it, though :D )

Not that I'm saying Florentine ocarinas are bad - they are only completely different. It annoys me a little to see that people perceive these ocarinas from Taiwan as something with an "Italian flavour" or something like that... They are as different to Ocarina di Budrio as Mountain Ocarinas or Hind's.

And since I find Menaglio's ocarinas the best out there, anything completely different than them is not as good for me (but that also includes the really great ocarinas such as those by Mr. Hind) - that's my personal opinion, of course, I don't wan't any drama, especially in this topic...

Roger

@kcindric: I need your formal instruction on the sol4 lol ^_^.
Hahaha... :D Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not nearly so good to give formal instructions. I would really benefit from some myself. Here is a little advice from my relatively limited experience:

Have you tried blowing harder? Usually does't the trick on those airy high notes. And relax your throat, like you're singing (from your belly, of course). Just don't give in to the urge to use the acute bend for now - that's a shortcut that leads to poor breathing technique and flat intonation.

BTW, congratulations on your new Do 3a and Sol 4a. These are great ocarinas, I'm sure you'll love them. A lot happened while I was away :D
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 23 Aug 2009, 11:48 AM.

moomaster
Member Avatar

@kcindric i only thought that thier shape looked slightly simmalar.......................though i understand your rage you must feel when someone compared something that is (probably) one of the best to something that is (95% sure on this) one of the least best

Krešimir Cindrić

Oh no, there are far worse ocarinas than STL "Florentines" - for example, they sound very beautiful when Ocarinadiva plays them.

But of course, it's impossible to compare them to the real thing ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · European Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ