Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Fingering Charts
Topic Started: 11 Feb 2008, 06:15 AM (66,853 Views)
Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

EpiCai I believe is Geotjakra's brand of home made ocarinas, so it's quite possible it was his own custom fingering.

And yea, the 2nd line is the one I have which was provided in the songbird booklet that comes with the pendants as I mentioned earlier.
No clue about the 3rd line.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Intense
Member Avatar
Bartholomew Kittensworth
Here's the chart for Maparam single / double / triple

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/jxcnCQaHAk/

Endalion
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist x 3
I found some pendant ocarina fingering charts here:

http://ocarmusic.wordpress.com/pendant-fingering-charts/

Among the charts was a Peruvian 8-hole ocarina fingering chart I didn't notice elsewhere in this thread. Peruvian 8-hole owners, does it work?

Peruvian 8-hole fingering chart
Attached to this post:
Attachments: peruvianOcarinaFingering.png (80.21 KB)
Edited by Endalion, 5 Oct 2012, 09:39 AM.

SuperBobKing
Member Avatar
Quadruple Ocarinist
Probably not, because I have never seen any that had different size holes so it doesn't matter which ones you use. But if someone wanted to tune one, it would probably be fine to use.

superguy35
Beginner
So I have an Old Glory 9-Hole G Baritone Ocarina, and I cannot find a fingering chart for it anywhere. Does someone have one?

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
superguy35
27 Mar 2013, 05:56 AM
So I have an Old Glory 9-Hole G Baritone Ocarina, and I cannot find a fingering chart for it anywhere. Does someone have one?
I just typed "9 hole ocarina fingering chart" in Google Images and pulled up this page. Take your pick.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=566&q=9+hole+ocarina+finger+chart&oq=9+hole+ocarina+finger&gs_l=img.1.0.0i24.1313.4939.0.7993.21.11.0.10.10.1.167.1171.3j7.10.0...0.0...1ac.1.7.img.AxTAZm8ASxE

superguy35
Beginner
Images pulled up, but none of them matched my description.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
One of those Google images leads to a thread on TON about 9 hole ocarinas. If you read through this thread, there's an image of a fingering chart for the Old Glory ocarina which is what I believe you mentioned you had?

Here's the link: http://theocarinanetwork.com/topic/6776186/1/#new

It's post # 10!
Edited by pandorado100, 28 Mar 2013, 10:56 PM.

mjaminbook
Beginner
Does anyone have a fingering chart for and 8-hole sweet potato ocarina?

LittleMarin
Member Avatar
Marin Musica
Please don't hate me for reviving an old topic...

But I have a 9 hole Transverse ES 11 1/2 EWA Ocarina. It has eight holes on the top, and one thumb hole on the back and I've been told that the ES stands for E Flat, so it's in that key. I bought it off ebay, so I don't have much information about it and I didn't know if anyone might have a fingering chart for something similar.

I'm looking for a chart that would show the finger positions with the notes on a staff. So far, I haven't found any chart similar. Not in this topic, or another that was linked to about 9 hole ocarinas.

Here are some pictures of the Ocarina:
Spoiler: click to toggle

Thanks in advance!

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

Low at the top, with "-" meaning you open the hole:

Eb T 1234 1234
F T 1234 123-
G T 1234 12--
Ab T 1234 1---
Bb T 1234 ----
c T 12-4 ----
d T 1--4 ----
eb T ---4 ----
f T ---- ----
g - ---- ----

Yours is a bass, I have a 9-hole D alto which uses the same system. It's just the 10-hole system with one less hole, i.e. one semitone less at the high end.

Semitones by putting some finger down out of that sequence - e.g. Gb by T 1234 12-4. You need to experiment to see what works.
Edited by Jack Campin, 31 Jan 2014, 12:52 PM.

LittleMarin
Member Avatar
Marin Musica
Jack Campin
31 Jan 2014, 01:18 AM
Low at the top, with "-" meaning you open the hole:

Eb T 1234 1234
F T 1234 123-
G T 1234 12--
Ab T 1234 1---
Bb T 1234 ----
c T 12-4 ----
d T 1--4 ----
eb T ---4 ----
f T ---- ----
g - ---- ----

Yours is a bass, I have a 9-hole D alto which uses the same system. It's just the 10-hole system with one less hole, i.e. one semitone less at the high end.

Semitones by putting some finger down out of that sequence - e.g. Gb by T 1234 12-4. You need to experiment to see what works.
Thanks! What does the T stand for, though? (I suddenly feel really stupid)

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

T is for Thumb. Symbols for left hand fingers are to the left of those for the right ones.

LittleMarin
Member Avatar
Marin Musica
Jack Campin
31 Jan 2014, 07:34 PM
T is for Thumb. Symbols for left hand fingers are to the left of those for the right ones.
Ah! I should have realized that! (Yup, feeling pretty stupid.) Thanks!

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

When I write fingerings like that, I sometimes use "t" for the right thumb - T 1234 t 1234 for a 10-hole. If I wanted to use the same notation for a 12-hole, I'd use "b" for the first subhole and "a" for the second (no need to indicate where the subholes are located; I'd just write something like "T 1234 t 1234 ba" for the all-holes-closed note).

It's surprising nobody but me seems to use that notation for ocarinas. It's based on what Rowland-Jones uses for recorders in his book Recorder Technique - he also uses strike-throughs to indicate half-holing, I would use "/" after the relevant hole for that, to stay in plain ASCII. No HTML, no tab diagram editing.

fredster64
Beginner
Hello, are there any fingering charts for Songbird's old 12-hole OoT in A? It has the subholes in identical positions to the current Songbird OoT but I'm not sure that I'd be able to use the same fingering charts (or even the modified 12-hole ones in the very first post on this page) because it's in A.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

If you want to use it as a transposing instrument, the current charts should work.

If you want to play at pitch, read some basic music theory (Music Theory for Dummies, How to Crack Music Theory, or The AB Guide to Music Theory), and work it out. It'll be useful stuff to know anyway.

ZeroWolf
Member Avatar
Beginner
Hey folks!

Anyone knows where i could find the Sweet Potato Double Alto C chart?

The one i found was a broken link. :(

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Try this one and see if it works for you. :)

Fingering chart for double alto C

Solfege chart
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Fingering_for_Double.jpg (141.31 KB)
Attachments: SolfegeChart.jpg (13.38 KB)
Edited by pandorado100, 22 Jul 2015, 03:39 PM.

ZeroWolf
Member Avatar
Beginner
Thank you so much Pandorado!

Quick question, though.

My Double Alto C has a fifth hole in the third chamber, is this normal?
Edited by ZeroWolf, 22 Jul 2015, 04:50 PM.

shinodex
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist
ZeroWolf
22 Jul 2015, 04:50 PM
the 5th hole is just for tuning and chamber balance. You never use it.

Zhiend
Beginner
I bought this ocarina from taiwan. It came with a fingering chart. I am not well versed in traditional chinese nor music theory. Can anyone help me better understand this fingering chart. Thanks!
Edited by Zhiend, 13 Apr 2016, 10:23 AM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Zhiend
12 Apr 2016, 01:47 PM
I bought this ocarina from taiwan. It came with a fingering chart. I am not well versed in traditional chinese nor music theory. Can anyone help me better understand this fingering chart. Thanks
How about posting a screenshot of your fingering chart? It is hard to advise you when we don't even know what type of ocarina you have and how the various finger positions relate to the notes.

Roberto
Member Avatar
OcarinaJapan
shinodex
22 Jul 2015, 11:23 PM
ZeroWolf
22 Jul 2015, 04:50 PM
DOUBLE Ocarina with .......THIRD CHAMBER?? ! :?

Zhiend
Beginner
I bought this ocarina from taiwan. It came with a fingering chart. I am not well versed in traditional chinese nor music theory. Can anyone help me better understand this fingering chart. Thanks
pandorado100
12 Apr 2016, 11:05 PM
Zhiend
12 Apr 2016, 01:47 PM
How about posting a screenshot of your fingering chart? It is hard to advise you when we don't even know what type of ocarina you have and how the various finger positions relate to the notes.
http://s773.photobucket.com/user/Zhiend/media/img001_zps3qdhimhj.jpg.html
here you go
Edited by Zhiend, 13 Apr 2016, 10:25 AM.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

You have an effective range of nine notes - the scale is presented twice, the top one starting on G (sol) and the lower one on C (do). You go up the scale as you move to the right along the table. You ignore the note in a separate box on the left (Fa at the top, Si at the bottom), it'll be produced by underblowing and will sound unusably feeble if it works at all.

Not my idea of fun to play.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
This picture will show you how the solfege symbols on your fingering chart relate to notes on a music scale. If I had your ocarina, I would try to memorize the finger position that corresponds to a particular note and use that to play songs. This ocarina has an awkward system but it is possible to learn it with enough practice. :)

Posted Image

Skylarlayne
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
Help me find a chart for this? 7 on front, two on back, not including the air hole.

Classic Sweet potato, but with minor differences that are complicating matters.
Edited by Skylarlayne, 21 Mar 2017, 09:08 AM.

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Your image isn't working for me. Do standard 9hole fingering charts not work with it? There are a couple fingering charts already listed in this thread in case you haven't already looked.

Skylarlayne
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
Kae
20 Mar 2017, 10:56 PM
Your image isn't working for me. Do standard 9hole fingering charts not work with it? There are a couple fingering charts already listed in this thread in case you haven't already looked.
Image updated. Unfortunately, I'm finding tabs with three holes one both ends of the top, and three on the bottom. Or Zelda style. Or eight holes on top and one on bottom. It left me unclear as to how I should distinguish notes. Fortunately, I just got a tuner. So the question is moot, for me. But all links I found for this OC are dead, and I'd like to get at least one chart out onto the web, lest another in my position be discouraged from playing their instrument.

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
After seeing a picture of your ocarina, it seems very similar to my old glory ocarina. After a quick search, I found this which might help you: Old Glory Fingering Chart

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Skylarlayne
21 Mar 2017, 09:13 AM
Kae
20 Mar 2017, 10:56 PM
Image updated. Unfortunately, I'm finding tabs with three holes one both ends of the top, and three on the bottom. Or Zelda style. Or eight holes on top and one on bottom. It left me unclear as to how I should distinguish notes. Fortunately, I just got a tuner. So the question is moot, for me. But all links I found for this OC are dead, and I'd like to get at least one chart out onto the web, lest another in my position be discouraged from playing their instrument.
Maybe this one?
Looks like Jordan beat me to it.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: sub9.jpg (134.28 KB)
Edited by Kae, 21 Mar 2017, 09:25 AM.

Skylarlayne
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
I'd actually found both of those images, but had not heard of old glory nor submarine ocarinas, and was unsure if I should trust the charts with my own ocarina. Thank you both for the help.

CFWhitman
Initiate
A "submarine" ocarina is just another reference to the shape (because it looks vaguely like a submarine with a conning tower). It's an alternative to calling it a "sweet potato" or "transverse" ocarina. The fingering aside from the sharps and flats is standard. With sharps and flats it's generally not a bad idea to do a little experimenting with a tuner to figure out what works best anyway.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Fingering Charts · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ