Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. • Updates - The 2013 TONs of FUN Christmas Contest!
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Fingering Charts
Topic Started: 11 Feb 2008, 06:15 AM (32,308 Views)
the_gamer
Inline Ocarinist x 2
I'm looking for a fingering chart for a 4hole english pendant. Can anybody post some?

I know zombiefewd1 posted 2 but I can't read them. It has do re mi... in it. Could anbody post one with "real" notes on it?

And my second question is: How to translate that to "real" notes....? You know, I only know cdefgab and those with sharp and minor but nothing of that. There has to be a way to "translate" it, right? How to do it?

Thanks
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Adam
Member Avatar
✔ ℰcstatic ✔
*sigh* its not about the note names, after all, it is a fingering chart...

...but if you must know...

Do, C. Re, D. Mi, E. Fa, F. So, G. La, A. Ti, B.

C ya
Adam

the_gamer
Inline Ocarinist x 2
Adam
16 Oct 2009, 10:32 AM
*sigh* its not about the note names, after all, it is a fingering chart...

...but if you must know...

C ya
Adam
Sorry, but I need to know the right names to play my sheet music with it. Dunno why that seems to be so annoying :(

Thanks

Adam
Member Avatar
✔ ℰcstatic ✔
the_gamer
16 Oct 2009, 12:01 PM
Sorry, but I need to know the right names to play my sheet music with it. Dunno why that seems to be so annoying :(
Its not really annoying, but its more obvious :) The first note, or Do, would obviously be C, so on so on.

I guess if you just started learning sheets you might need a direct translation, after all, we are here to help :)

C ya
Adam

HieronRemade
Member Avatar
Defender of Hyrule
Does anyone know of a decent fingering chart for the Focalink Double SG? Focalink just sent a Double AC chart w/ mine, which is hard to understand even if it were the right chart.

HieronRemade
Member Avatar
Defender of Hyrule
Thanks for the tip Moonsyne, I'll check them out!

Sylpharios
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 3
There's an extra hole on the straw-fired version of the double fokalink AG, does it follow the same fingering chart as the other double?

zombiefewd1
Member Avatar
Resident WoWPlayer.
Here is a 12 hole chart with number tab.
Spoiler: click to toggle

I found this earlier and I thought id share.

OcLover
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Here's a 10 & 12 hole transverse ocarina pentatonic fingering chart... thanks to TON for the ocarina graphic used in making the chart.

10 & 12 hole transverse ocarina pentatonic fingering chart

Kuwabara
Member Avatar
16-Bit
The OP fingering chart has unlocked the secret to the sheet music here on TON for me! Thank you! :thumbsup:

OcLover
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Adding Noble Ocarina fingering charts:
NOTE: The Soprano charts display bigger than the others. Image links direct from Noble.

Noble Ocarina Type and Range

Mini

Soprano C

Soprano G

Soprano F

Alto C

Double AC

Triple AC

Fall
Member Avatar
Beginner
Wow, can't thank you enough for putting up the fingering chart. :3 It helps so much. I read a bunch of tutorials but nothing really clicked until I saw the fingering charts. YAY!

RicTheGrt
Transverse Ocarinist x 2
Scales for12 hole C, D and G with Staff.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: ScaleS_12_hole_C_D_G.pdf (128.03 KB)

ocarina begginer
Member Avatar
giant killer
This is a finger chart made by "the ocarinist" for a 12 hole oc.

here is the pendant version.

personally i find this finger chart more useful because i dont know how to read sheet music , numerical tabs or the letter system.

i think that this is called "diatonic" system but this is the system that i know how to read , maybe the administrators of the site can make a section for this kind of system.

Adam
16 Oct 2009, 10:32 AM

:TON:
thanks, but you can make it more entendible ...
La - A
Ti - B
Do - C
Re - D
Mi - E
Fa - F
So - G

"A" and "B" are the subhole notes.
Edited by ocarina begginer, 15 Mar 2010, 03:02 AM.

erickerick
Beginner
Thanks people, as a complete newbie, that helped me a lot. =)
Moonsyne
28 Apr 2008, 06:17 AM
[ Chart ] 6 Hole Pendant
[ Chart ] 7 Hole Unknown, Origin Unknown
[ Chart ] 8 Hole Peruvian, Origin Unknown
[ Chart ] 8 Hole Peruvian, Origin Unknown (not in English)
[ Chart ] 9 Hole Peruvian, Origin Unknown
[ Chart ] 9 hole Inline, Origin Unknown
[ Chart ] 9 Hole Sweet Potato, H. Fiegn
[ Chart ] 10 Hole Sweet Potato, Fabio Menaglio
[ Chart ] 10 Hole Sweet Potato, Sears and Roebuck (Numerical)
[ Chart ] 10 Hole Sweet Potato, Grifftabelle
[ Chart ] 11 Hole Sweet Potato, Unknown
[ Chart ] 12 Hole Purple Mini, STL Ocarinas
[ Chart ] 12 Hole Sweet Potato, MapAram
Hi Moonsyne, thanks for sharing the charts. I have a 9 hole and was looking at the "9 Hole Sweet Potato, H. Fiegn" chart, and wanted to let you know that the paper says it's actually a 10 hole! (4 left, 4 right, 2 bottom).

I'm new to all this, but while reading it i think i found an error there: "Position No.13 - Open holes Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8", but it seems more like 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, right? Mine is a 9 hole, but it looks similar to this one, so if i could clarify this chart, it would be helpful!

thanks
regards
Edited by erickerick, 27 Apr 2010, 03:20 AM.

musicfan
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 4
shadowlorde
15 Apr 2009, 04:52 AM
has anyone figured out alternate fingerings?

I would be interested in alternate fingerings too...
With my 10-hole ocarina, I have noticed that if I uncover the two back holes, the note goes up a fifth. So for example if I cover the 8 front holes, but NOT the back holes, it will sound like a G instead of a C (it also works for other notes, so for example a D becomes an A etc).

Also, by rotating the ocarina just a little bit anticlockwise with all holes covered, I obtain a low B (just lower than the low C)...

Does this work for you too?

jen_is_hawt
Beginner
Does anyone know where to find the fingering chart for a 9 hole alto sweet potato ocarina. I bought one at a craft fair and I got the chart with it but my brother lost the chart and I can't remember some of the notes.

OcarinAttorney
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist
Oh yay thank you to all people who posted 6 hole pendants!! :D
Yay! Now I can slay most of the songs with sharps and flats.. :)

SaitoHikari
Beginner
Could someone please tell me what fingerings produce what notes on a 5 hole sweet potato? There are 4 holes on top and one on bottom. It looks like the ocarina from zelda. I bought it a few years ago just for the sake of having it but now I actually want to learn how to play it. Yes, I know how to read sheet music.

edit: Would this be accurate? http://site.stlocarina.com/fc/6holeCMajor.html
It has two holes on the bottom where I only have one.
Edited by SaitoHikari, 5 Jul 2010, 07:55 PM.

jerome96114
Member Avatar
The christian geek ...
Moonsyne
28 Apr 2008, 06:17 AM
[ Chart ] 6 Hole Pendant
[ Chart ] 7 Hole Unknown, Origin Unknown
[ Chart ] 8 Hole Peruvian, Origin Unknown
[ Chart ] 8 Hole Peruvian, Origin Unknown (not in English)
[ Chart ] 9 Hole Peruvian, Origin Unknown
[ Chart ] 9 hole Inline, Origin Unknown
[ Chart ] 10 Hole Sweet Potato, H. Fiegn
[ Chart ] 10 Hole Sweet Potato, Fabio Menaglio
[ Chart ] 10 Hole Sweet Potato, Sears and Roebuck (Numerical)
[ Chart ] 10 Hole Sweet Potato, Grifftabelle
[ Chart ] 11 Hole Sweet Potato, Unknown
[ Chart ] 12 Hole Purple Mini, STL Ocarinas
[ Chart ] 12 Hole Sweet Potato, MapAram
"[ Chart ] 10 Hole Sweet Potato, Grifftabelle"

Ahhh ... Grifftabelle isn't the maker - it's just the German word for "Fingering Chart"

I think btw., that this one is from "Musik Plaschke"

:D

z-kun
Member Avatar
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
I was making my own Tabs => Sheet Music chart for 4-6 hole ocarinas, but I would like someone to look it over for mistakes. (A program that can read .doc is required.)
:pendant: http://dimensionf.wikispaces.com/file/view/Ocarina-SheetmusicTabsConverter.doc/153930805/Ocarina-SheetmusicTabsConverter.doc (version 1.2)

I used the notes from Songbird's composer as a guideline, as well as one of Songbird's songbooks for the note names, but I wound up with two different notes for B if you look down at the "Sharps" lists. Which one is correct?

The image credits are a bit incomplete; I figured that I would correct those when I re-do the notes portion to be a single image rather than a zillion overlayed images.

Thanks!
~ Z-kun
Edited by z-kun, 25 Jul 2010, 02:03 PM.

Jacob
The awesome one!
This is really nice!

iwaver44
Pendant Ocarinist
hey! thanks for posting theese fingering charts! really helped me! thanks :ocarina:

Tehmikk
Ocarinist
I have just ordered a Focalink 12-hole alto c where would i acquire a fingering chart for said ocarina
Edited by Tehmikk, 10 Aug 2010, 03:20 AM.

Philip
Member Avatar
KypSyd

You will most likely receive a fingering chart with your ocarina. If you ordered from songbird, he also sends a few songs tabbed in a booklet style fingering chart sheet

Tehmikk
Ocarinist
Thanks KypSyd (that was a really fast reply)
Edited by Tehmikk, 10 Aug 2010, 06:30 PM.

Adam
Member Avatar
✔ ℰcstatic ✔
A url to Claudio Colombo's triple ocarina fingering charts
A url to Claudio Colombo's double ocarina fingering charts (which is almost the same (uses triple in the picture))
A url to Claudio Colombo's single ocarina fingering charts (this looks nicer than the previous ones).

(I dont think anyones posted these yet)

C ya
Adam
Edited by Adam, 11 Aug 2010, 12:20 PM.

Tehmikk
Ocarinist
i got my alto c but the fingering chart confuses me my ocarina has 8 holes in front+2 subholes but the pictures have7+2 subholes?
EDIT: nevermind it says keep left pinky down unless everything is open with bold circle
Edited by Tehmikk, 12 Aug 2010, 07:10 PM.

Ocarinamusic
Member Avatar

Hi folks! If you're looking for a decent guide for playing ten-hole ocarinas, we've just reprinted "The Mezzetti Ocarina Tutor" in English & French - it deals with one of the oldest, most established methods known for playing ten-holes. Mezzetti first published this method around 100 years ago, but it's still one of the best around. Our edition comes to around 70 pages. It's not really for beginners, but for those with a grounding in ocarina playing it should definitely help further technique. There are only a few copies of this method in publication nowadays - without a doubt ours is the most comprehensive, so if you're interested, have a look at our store: www.ocarinashop.net :)

Thanks & best of luck!

- Hans
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krešimir Cindrić

I agree, "The Mezzetti Ocarina Tutor" is really one of the best method books for the ocarina. And also one of the oldest. It is quite advanced, and the exercises are quite difficult, but very useful.

It may not be the most useful for a total beginner at first, but soon it will be as they get more familiar with the instrument.

This book is also available in PDF for download at Giorgio Pacchioni's Biblioteca dell'Ocarina (since it is more than 100 years old, there is no copyright), but, of course, it is much more useful to have a printed version. So, if you don't feel like printing out 76 pages and having them banded into a book - buying such a great book for 12 euros is not a bad deal, in my opinion.
Edited by Krešimir Cindrić, 14 Aug 2010, 11:01 PM.

Ocarinamusic
Member Avatar

Yep! In case anyone's looking for more information, here's the description from our site...

Quote:

Albert Napoleone Mezzetti (Budrio 1843 – London 1906) was an excellent musician, besides being a very enterprising man.

He and his brother Ercole were both members of the group of ocarina players who called themselves the “Montanari dell'Appenino” and their concert performances made the ocarina, invented in 1853 in Budrio by Giuseppe Donati, famous throughout Europe.

After these extensive and successful tours he decided to settle in London where he began his many- sided activities as shop keeper, musician (he knew how to play many instruments), music teacher, distributor , promoter and inventor of new forms of the ocarina.

It was during these activities that the Mezzetti Ocarina Tutor was devised and printed in English and French, presumably towards the end of the nineteenth century and today it is still considered to be one of the most fundamental and complete music practise and tutor books. It also provides an interesting historical source on the ocarina and the musical taste of people in general at that time.

The new edition is the precise reprint of a copy of this unique method which was donated to the Ocarina Museum in Budrio by Alberto Napoleone's great grandson, Adrian Mezzetti.

The Municipality of Budrio, the Ocarina Museum and the “Gruppo Ocarinistico Budriese” decided to reprint it in collaboration with the Austrian “Ocarinamusic workshop” so that as many people as possible around the world could gain benefit from it.

* 76-seitige historische Ocarina-Schule THE MEZETTI TUTOR
* Instruction
* Rudiments o Music
* Exersises
* Blue Bells of Scotland
* Ah! Vous Dirai-Je Maman
* Au Clair De La Lune
* Cést le roi Dacobert
* Double Tonguing
* Rule Britannia
* The last Rose of Summer
* Norma- Marches
* Marseillaise
* Caller Herrin
* God save the Queen
* Traviata
* Robin Adair
* The young May Morn
* Oft in the stilly Night
* Aria from Martha
* On Syncopation
* Rondo
* Solo From Ricoletto Verdi
* Amica
* Fantasia
* Amelie
* Santa Lucia
* Duets
* Terzetto
* Quartett
* From Preludio Nella Traviata
* Spica
* unter anderem viele Etüden, Fingerübungen usw.

(original here)

J1Star
Member Avatar
Enthusiast
Thankyou very much for the fingering charts, these are very useful. I looked all over the internet for finger charts that also had the note name and it's position on the stave, and this is the only place I can find them at the moment!

Wire Man
Member Avatar
Wire Sculptor
SkipSandwich
11 Jul 2008, 05:51 AM
So...are the certain notes that the ocarina just can't play, or is the fingering just not listed? I'm using a Maparam Alto C, and there's no fingering for B-sharp/C-flat. Is it incapable of this note, or was that overlooked?
B is C flat, and B# is C. They're the same note.

Crystal Clay Ocarinas
Member Avatar
Ocarina designer and crafter (working my way to perfection)
Yeah!!! Cool!!! I love it!

reikokuna
Member Avatar
Black sheep among your daily lurkers
Finger chart for New Vista 9 hole transverse,
with cross fingering in Key of G (and C)

I had originally scanned the sheet that came with the ocarina, but it didn't turn out nice, so I remade the whole thing, using the original as the basis.

9 hole cross fingering, with the range of a 12 hole :)

Attached to this post:
Attachments: New_Vista_9_hole_fingerchart.jpg (56.32 KB)
Edited by reikokuna, 14 Jan 2011, 05:27 AM.

Tiikeri
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
Hi, I would love it if someone could supply me with a fingering chart for a Transverse 12-Hole AC Ocarina. Please and Thank You. I have a Fingering Chart for the 12-Hole Alto from STL, but the notes that each fingering gives is different from the notes of the C Major 12 hole on STL's Fingering Composer. Again, please and thank you.
Edited by Tiikeri, 9 Feb 2011, 02:14 AM.

bauxiom
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Tiikeri
9 Feb 2011, 02:05 AM
Hi, I would love it if someone could supply me with a fingering chart for a Transverse 12-Hole AC Ocarina. Please and Thank You. I have a Fingering Chart for the 12-Hole Alto from STL, but the notes that each fingering gives is different from the notes of the C Major 12 hole on STL's Fingering Composer. Again, please and thank you.
I don't understand why what you have would't work but I would look at the fingering charts on the STL Blog for whatever it is that you need.

reikokuna
Member Avatar
Black sheep among your daily lurkers
Tiikeri
9 Feb 2011, 02:05 AM
Hi there!

I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but are you sure your ocarina is an Alto C? I own what STL calls an 12 hole Alto, and this is in fact a 12 hole TNG Soprano F ocarina. STL has a different naming system, if you had bought a Tenor C from STL, that is what would be the same as the one on the C major 12 hole of STL's fingering composer.

Check out the fingering composer for the 12 hole F Major, or the 12 hole G Major.

To know the tuning of your ocarina, try to play against a tuner with all holes covered except subholes.

Hope that helps.

Krešimir Cindrić

Actually, it doesn't matter which ocarina you have - just use the fingering chart for the alto C (i.e. tenor, if using STL's naming conventions). Using "fingering charts" for soprano F or soprano G ocarinas is bad for you, even if you have a soprano F or a soprano G ocarina. Trust me on this one, at least until I write a huge article explaining why.

Tiikeri
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
Thanks, guys. And yes, I'm pretty sure It is an Alto C. I bought from Teddy's Do Re Me's(Or whatever it was called), it has AC on it, and I tuned it and its notes match the fingering chart for an Alto C.

Jack Campin
Member Avatar
Opener of Catfood Tins

I have a Night in F and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with the subholes.

There are two: one is paired with the right forefinger hole, but closer to you. The other is paired with the right middle finger hole, but further from you. Both, used in isolation, seem to drop the pitch of the low F down to E. Used together they give you something of rather fuzzy pitch which suggests you maybe aren't meant to do that.

Neither of them seems designed for quick playing, though sliding forward with the middle finger seems to work a bit better; my forefinger can't easily cover both the main hole and the subhole, it's too convex at the tip. (At the moment I'm trying to play "Sakura" in A, i.e. starting on D and dropping to E at the bottom).

How do Night envisage me using this layout?

agocs
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist
Focalink Soft Breath/Dolce Triple AC fingering
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Dolce_AC_Triple.pdf (98.94 KB)

HawkeyeMcFly
Member Avatar
Lint below the doormap
I'm confused about an ambiguity in finger charts for a 4-hole. So far I found
C___D___E___F___G___A___B___C
88__86___89__80__66__60__06__00
88__86___89__80__66__60__09__00
88__89___86__96__60__00

8: both covered
9: top hole covered
6: bottom hole covered
0: no hole covered

Then I found Tabs of Greensleeves with 90(A#), 68(F#) and 69(G#) in them.
Edited by HawkeyeMcFly, 29 Jul 2011, 12:17 PM.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Hawkeye
29 Jul 2011, 11:37 AM
88__89___86__96__60__00

Then I found Tabs of Greensleeves with 90(A#), 68(F#) and 69(G#) in them.
The second line is correct.

The other 2 are not, atleast not to my knowledge.

What you have charted out in the second line is what was provided in the Songbird Fingering Chart for the 3 pendants i ordered as well.

HawkeyeMcFly
Member Avatar
Lint below the doormap
GreaterAnticipation
29 Jul 2011, 06:03 PM
Hawkeye
29 Jul 2011, 11:37 AM
88__89___86__96__60__00

The second line is correct.

The other 2 are not, atleast not to my knowledge.

What you have charted out in the second line is what was provided in the Songbird Fingering Chart for the 3 pendants i ordered as well.
OK, I checked my notes,
The first line was found to be made by someone called "king EpiCai" for his hand-crafted ocarinas
The second line was found in a video from DocJazz: Tutorial No.2, so I already suspected Songbird or STL.
The third line was on a book with childen's songs that was was delivered with my 4-hole from Rotter, so it might be a reduced set for easy learning.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fingering Charts · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ