Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The STL Glow in The Dark Ocarina! Coolest Ocarina Ever!
Topic Started: 22 Mar 2017, 04:12 AM (2,003 Views)
BigC
Member Avatar
When you're STL, You're STL 4 Life!!!

Now this is a cool ocarina! The Glow in the dark ocarina from STL!!! So totally worth getting!!!

http://www.stlocarina.com/glow.html
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LifeLightXY
Member Avatar
procrastinator
Is the glow permanent, or will it eventually fade away over time?

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I honestly think this looks cool. I'm not sure I'd say the Sol is any weirder than this, though. I'd be interested to hear sound samples of this.

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Vendace
22 Mar 2017, 06:04 AM
I honestly think this looks cool. I'm not sure I'd say the Sol is any weirder than this, though. I'd be interested to hear sound samples of this.
I think some would argue that it is less "gimicky" than the sol. I really like the look of the blue one but I feel like the design could make it harder for me to find the holes initially while playing it since it's engraved all over the ocarina. That said, I find the glow in the dark to be a lot more useless for my wants/needs. I can't read sheet music in the dark, I don't play in the dark anyways, and I can't leave my ocarina out for display so that makes the glow in the dark wasted on me. But otherwise looks nice. Is there not a video for it yet?

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
It's great, except I'll probably never play in the dark. I never get a chance to even play at night because it's when everyone's sleeping :(

Anyway, I'm sure it's the best they could think of to compete with the SOL (insert crying laughing emoji here)

CFWhitman
Initiate
LifeLightXY
22 Mar 2017, 05:46 AM
Is the glow permanent, or will it eventually fade away over time?
If I had to guess, I would say that it's a typical glow in the dark type thing where it absorbs light while it's being exposed to light and emits it while it's in the dark (technically it emits it even while its in the light, but you can't see it then). So it will fade over the course of an hour or two, but will "recharge" when it's exposed to light again.

Generally things that glow in the dark any other way require either some sort of power, or radioactivity. Since using radium for this type of thing is frowned upon these days because of fear of the effects of long-term exposure to low levels of radioactivity, and I have no reason to believe that this uses any sort of battery or switch, it's probably the more conventional method of glowing in the dark.

Edit: I forgot about one method of "glowing in the dark" (I put it in quotes because technically it's not glowing in the dark*). That is, to have something glow when exposed to "black light" (really ultraviolet light*). This could work that way, but if it does, it really ought to say so in the description.

*(How "black light" glowing in the dark really works is that some materials and paints refract ultraviolet light, which is a shorter wavelength than light that is visible to humans, back into the visible spectrum. Of course, in order for that to work, you need some kind of an ultraviolet light bulb turned on in the vicinity. Ultraviolet lights that have no light in the visible spectrum to let you know they're on can be considered dangerous because prolonged exposure to higher levels of ultraviolet light is not good for you.)
Edited by CFWhitman, 23 Mar 2017, 05:13 PM.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
That is pretty neat, but honestly, it doesn't strike me as that impressive because anyone could put glow paint on an ocarina. I do like the blue design, and it kind of reminds me of some of the artwork from Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess. I find STL's designs seem to focus a lot more on looking cool. I agree with bigray, it's not easy to find a time to play in the dark.

wAllop1
Member Avatar
Professional novice
Took em long enough.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

bigray
22 Mar 2017, 10:47 AM
Anyway, I'm sure it's the best they could think of to compete with the SOL (insert crying laughing emoji here)
I really don't think they're directly competing with each other. It's not like they looked at Songbird's product and whipped up a design overnight. Or maybe they did, but I've heard about the glow-in-the-dark ocarina a while back.

I also don't think they're aiming for the same audience. People shopping for minivans aren't going to be the ones looking for high performance sports cars. Similarly, people looking for $65 ocarinas to play aren't going to be looking for the SoL or anything else with added bells and whistles. The appeal of the SoL is the technology that comes with it, and people who have a want for it will pay for it.

The STL Glow-in-the-Dark ocarina is more of a fun thing accessible to anybody. It's priced to be accessible too.

BigC
Member Avatar

I love this ocarina!!! $65 bucks for this sweet lookin' ocarina! This ocarina looks super cool plus it doesn't mess with your sensories, doesn't make you have an epileptic seizure. Now this is a REAL glow in the dark ocarina!

I would love to see someone from STL do a video like a commercial on tv for this ocarina like what would you see on Cartoon Network. Nickelodeon or heck even Disney Channel.
Edited by BigC, 22 Mar 2017, 03:17 PM.

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Kae
22 Mar 2017, 06:37 AM
Vendace
22 Mar 2017, 06:04 AM
I think some would argue that it is less "gimicky" than the sol.
I'll give you that. I wonder how good the sound quality on these are.

Also, that link at the top isn't working for me for some reason. I had to go into Stl's website separately.
Edited by Vendace, 22 Mar 2017, 04:26 PM.

BigC
Member Avatar

http://stlocarina.com/glow.html try it now...

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
BigC
22 Mar 2017, 04:30 PM
Huh. It's still not working, i think it's just my phone.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Vendace
22 Mar 2017, 04:42 PM
BigC
Try copying an pasting the link. That's the only way I can view the link using Linux, and since Android is based on Linux, maybe it's simillar.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

We already have a zombiefewd. We don't need another

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Stl links never work for me. Even with copy and paste.

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Kitten Forest
22 Mar 2017, 05:07 PM
Vendace
22 Mar 2017, 04:42 PM
BigC
Try copying an pasting the link. That's the only way I can view the link using Linux, and since Android is based on Linux, maybe it's simillar.
I was actually on Iphone, but I'll give that a try.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
If I click on the STL link I get taken to a page for Clix Galore.

It directs me to HERE
Edited by pandorado100, 23 Mar 2017, 02:30 AM.

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
If it helps anyone it's in the classes 12 hole category

Ocypode
Double Ocarinist
I guess it would glow in the dark pretty well with a dark light on, if it is to behave like the glow-in-the-dark paint found on many other products.
However, exposing eyes to black light for a long time isn't a good idea.

As for me, I'll wait for the Swiss army knife ocarina :P
If STL does it, I want my share for this brilliant idea :)

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Bateleur
22 Mar 2017, 05:43 PM
This seems far more obnoxious than a zombiefewd to be fair xD

Mystic_Ocarina
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Hello, can anyone help me posting the photos here? I live in Spain and page is not allowed to show pictures to my country, thanks!!!

hylian_shieldmaiden
Member Avatar
Can't settle on an avatar pic.
Achint
23 Mar 2017, 11:19 AM
Bateleur
22 Mar 2017, 05:43 PM
This seems far more obnoxious than a zombiefewd to be fair xD
Agreed on both counts.

The SOL looks "rushed", but the blobby sculpting and sloppy paint job on the glow-in-the-dark ocarina are "cool".

Before anyone misinterprets this, I'm not defending the SOL. Just pointing out the double-standard, because the craftsmanship in terms of sculpting and glaze are cleaner on the SOL than this glow ocarina. I actually think the high end on the SOL sounds kind of muddy and not at all worth the price they're charging for it, even if it has all kinds of electronics inside.

WinterdrivE
Inline Ocarinist x 3
I was kinda imagining something sleek and shiny, and perhaps all glowing. Not uuhhhh... chunky and lumpy. They look a lot cooler in the dark when you can't see the weirdly blobby shape of the ceramic itself.

That said, I think the concept is cool. I'd like to see more glowing ocarinas

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

WinterdrivE
24 Mar 2017, 12:22 AM
I was kinda imagining something sleek and shiny, and perhaps all glowing. Not uuhhhh... chunky and lumpy. They look a lot cooler in the dark when you can't see the weirdly blobby shape of the ceramic itself.

Agreed, the shape of the ocarina itself doesn't seem appealing. The design on this one is a "miss" to me, though if it were a small ocarina startup selling this, the quality would be more acceptable. The glow in the dark paint is rather sloppy.

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Bateleur
24 Mar 2017, 05:20 AM
WinterdrivE

Agreed, the shape of the ocarina itself doesn't seem appealing. The design on this one is a "miss" to me, though if it were a small ocarina startup selling this, the quality would be more acceptable. The glow in the dark paint is rather sloppy.
They really don't have good pictures of it. I didn't even notice the weirdness going on with the shape around the mouthpiece before it was mentioned here. I wonder if that will help you ergonomically or just make it really uncomfortable to hold. If the glow in the dark lines are hand painted I find that more acceptable though because it can be really hard to neatly paint in thin areas like that though I think they could have went over some areas more.
I wish they had more pictures or a video of it. I'm curious to see if the weirdness in the shape is just that area or all around. It seems strange to do that to the shape of ocarina without a reason.

Also almost every time I go to their site, there is a popup message going on about "use the coupon code 'midmarch' to get 10% off today only!" for well over a week now. Lying about a coupon code isn't going to bring in more customers. :/

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Kae
24 Mar 2017, 05:37 AM
Also almost every time I go to their site, there is a popup message going on about "use the coupon code 'midmarch' to get 10% off today only!" for well over a week now. Lying about a coupon code isn't going to bring in more customers. :/
This isn't anything new lol. There was a period of maybe years that their ocarinas would sit at a "sale price" to appear as if you're getting a great deal soon to disappear.

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Bateleur
24 Mar 2017, 05:48 AM
Kae
24 Mar 2017, 05:37 AM
This isn't anything new lol. There was a period of maybe years that their ocarinas would sit at a "sale price" to appear as if you're getting a great deal soon to disappear.
They pretty much still are. Lol The sale that keeps on giving

WiFilter
Beginner
Bateleur
24 Mar 2017, 05:20 AM
WinterdrivE

I just don't trust glow in the dark anything. It always seems to weaken to the point where it just doesn't do anything. I'm not sure if there's different types of paint but it's it always just seems like a gimick.

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
WiFilter
24 Mar 2017, 06:09 AM
WinterdrivE
I just don't trust glow in the dark anything. It always seems to weaken to the point where it just doesn't do anything. I'm not sure if there's different types of paint but it's it always just seems like a gimick.
Maybe glow in the dark stuff was different years ago, but my grandmothers house has glow in the dark stars on the ceiling that have been there for 25 years and they still glow. It's pretty distracting at night lol. That said, it is still definitely a gimick. A useless one at that.

BigC
Member Avatar

Well, I got my eye on this ocarina! So totally going to be worth the money when I buy this awesome ocarina!

WinterdrivE
Inline Ocarinist x 3
No doubt that its a gimmick; the color and paint on an ocarina has no effect on the instrument except for tactile feel. But its hard to say that aesthetics, especially with ocarinas, play no part in the value of the instrument and aren't a factor that people consider when buying them. Honestly, I'm rather fond of the light up/glow in the dark concept, but I'm not particularly pleased with STL's execution in this case. I'd rather a high-tech TRON-inspired look rather than ancient society made of glowing stones, which is the vibe I get from STL's new ocarina. (or to put it a little less nicely, playdoh)
Edited by WinterdrivE, 24 Mar 2017, 06:50 AM.

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
I wasn't implying the aesthetics don't play a part in people buying them. Just that the glow in the dark plays absolutely no role other than appealing to some people.
I'm kind of the opposite about the look. I rather like the design because of rune ish look. I actually wasn't a huge fan of tron. It wasn't bad but not what I cared for.

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
After reading all the other comments, I'm noticing quite a bit more sloppy edges and the like. I feel like if the design was cleaned up it would be worlds better. I like the designs themselves but sharper edges and a cleaner look when glowing (and when not!) would make a huge difference, in my opinion.
Edited by Vendace, 24 Mar 2017, 02:02 PM.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Different strokes for different folks so they say. If I were going to buy a gimmick ocarina from STL, I would rather buy their Steampunk ocarina. That looks more elegant to me than the glow in the dark ocarinas.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

The Steampunk ocarina from STL is just a dressed up DIY, which itself is an excellent ocarina. More capable than the Focalink 12AC-A/Allegro.

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
In what ways is it more capable than the focalink allegro?

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Kae
24 Mar 2017, 08:15 PM
In what ways is it more capable than the focalink allegro?
More comfortably spaced finger hole placement, a shape that makes it feel more secure in the hands, slightly higher breath requirement with a fuller tone, and the tone at the high end is more focused. I recommended a friend to buy the Allegro, then later bought his wife a DIY as a birthday present since she's an artist. I'm a big fan of the Allegro/AC-A, though I compared both and had to admit the DIY was better (and cheaper) lol.

I do prefer higher breath ocarinas. Usually the medium & low breath ocarinas lose focus at the high notes, with airy sounds mixed in. Not really into that.

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
I actually find the allegro very comfortable to hold and the finger spacing is great for me but that cones to individual preference and hand sizes. I agree it is low breath but mine isn't airy at the top end where as the STLs I have tried were airy. I actually thought about getting the diy one day to paint but I didn't want to waste my money if it wasn't really good. Maybe I'll get it sometime. If it really is that good and I could paint it myself it would be worth it.

Bateleur
Member Avatar
Meh.

Personal preference is definitely important when it comes to how comfortable it is to hold. Difficult to take someone else's word on hand comfort. The Allegro/AC-A was definitely meant for smaller hands. The DIY, Aria, & Santa Monica are the 12-hole AC's I'd pick out of STL's middle price selection. With all of these visual gimmick ocarinas they have lately, I wouldn't be surprised for some of them to not sound great.

It's a shame on the Steampunk ocarina's sound sample though. The performer was playing a song above her skill level and wasn't hitting those high notes correctly, which doesn't help me in my commentary on the DIY's quality lol. A lot of STL's ocarinas need a little gusto at the top notes to play correctly and it's easy to sound off/airy if you're not providing enough breath.
Edited by Bateleur, 25 Mar 2017, 07:36 PM.

LillyDragon
Member Avatar
*sips tea*
Vendace
24 Mar 2017, 02:01 PM
After reading all the other comments, I'm noticing quite a bit more sloppy edges and the like. I feel like if the design was cleaned up it would be worlds better. I like the designs themselves but sharper edges and a cleaner look when glowing (and when not!) would make a huge difference, in my opinion.

If I had to guess, painting specific patterns on a fresh glaze can't be easy, like wet paint, so I am quick to overlook the lack of precision. Not really sure how they would address it.

This does give me ideas, though, because I love anything that glows in the dark. Maybe blue LEDs carefully mounted inside a plastic ocarina, wired up to a tiny switch and rechargeable button cell batteries? :grin: Sometimes I put my phone's flashlight up inside my plastic AC's voicing, to light up the inside and check for moisture, and it looks awesome from the outside. (Even more so for my alto seedpod's white clay interior. When looking at light coming from the mouthpiece, it makes me imagine an alien warship from Star Trek.)

Uh oh, now I seriously want to do this to an ocarina eventually. The SOL deserves to shine (literally) in the meantime with its neat programmable LEDs on the exterior.

Kae
24 Mar 2017, 06:27 AM
WiFilter
24 Mar 2017, 06:09 AM
WinterdrivE
Maybe glow in the dark stuff was different years ago, but my grandmothers house has glow in the dark stars on the ceiling that have been there for 25 years and they still glow. It's pretty distracting at night lol. That said, it is still definitely a gimick. A useless one at that.

My personal experience could be wrong, but growing up, I had hundreds of glow in the dark stars, glow in the dark planet stickers, and glow in the dark sharks stuck across my bedroom's walls and ceilings, and a ceiling painted black to match. (It was amazing to sleep to, imagining all those constellations on the ceiling.) And for years, their glow never wore out. I think they absorbed light for that effect, which this ocarina might be doing as well.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
LillyDragon
25 Mar 2017, 11:52 PM
My personal experience could be wrong, but growing up, I had hundreds of glow in the dark stars, glow in the dark planet stickers, and glow in the dark sharks stuck across my bedroom's walls and ceilings, and a ceiling painted black to match. (It was amazing to sleep to, imagining all those constellations on the ceiling.) And for years, their glow never wore out. I think they absorbed light for that effect, which this ocarina might be doing as well.
Now I kind of want to get a DIY one and put glowing stars on it! The problem I've found is that ocarinas overall tend to have more variety in designs and appearances, rather than keys and ranges, and I'd be much more likely to buy something like this if it were in key of Bb, A or some other key that is less common.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Triple Ocarinist
Who cares if it glows or not, how well does it play?

If it don't play well it is just an expensive paperweight.

Jubal
Member Avatar
Tree Hugger - Food is your right

Harp Player
26 Mar 2017, 03:46 AM
Who cares if it glows or not, how well does it play?

If it don't play well it is just an expensive paperweight.
Exactly.

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Kitten Forest
26 Mar 2017, 12:26 AM
LillyDragon
25 Mar 2017, 11:52 PM
Now I kind of want to get a DIY one and put glowing stars on it! The problem I've found is that ocarinas overall tend to have more variety in designs and appearances, rather than keys and ranges, and I'd be much more likely to buy something like this if it were in key of Bb, A or some other key that is less common.
I would like to do glowy stars with a space theme painted bwuahahaha. I also want to get a Bb ocarina T.T I can't remember of the name but someone on etsy makes some.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ