Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The SoL Ocarina - Weirdest... Ocarina... Ever!
Topic Started: 6 Mar 2017, 03:24 AM (5,962 Views)
pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
I put a $40 deposit on an SOL this week. Now comes the long wait until I actually get it.

I will proudly say I don't feel stupid in the least but very grateful that I will get the chance to play it someday. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
They are really fun to play, and I find the breath a lot easier than other ocarinas, and part of that is because it you play too flat or sharp then the colour will change. They sound pretty good too. Well made for sure.

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I pre-ordered mine on Tuesday. Out of respect for people who signed up for the e-mail to get notified first, I didn't announce it publicly so they would have a chance to place their order.

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
I went that route too but by the time anyone found out about it they were unavailable again

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I played mine today in public for the first time, and I got so many comments about how colourful it is! A few people found the light a little bit distracting, but overall, I got a lot of positive comments. One thing I've noticed is that when I play in public, sometimes I get nervous and play high notes flat. Where the SoL doesn't have the same kind of steeper breath curve that my Focalink does, it worked out a lot better. I played Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring by Bach from the songbook with adding the middle section that I had to transpose (and got confused in the process), but it all worked out. I wish I had a video, but I'll have to do it later this month.

Shinobinlove
Member Avatar
Music Ninja
Having put about 15 hours of play time into the SoL at this point, I am totally in love. I never, ever play in public, but the SoL has pushed me out into open spaces for the first time in the near decade that I've been playing the oc. That's remarkable! My Hind is a beautiful treasure, but it could not do what the SoL has done in making me get out there in the world and play for others.

Everyone who encounters it thinks it's magical. Especially children. I love just going to the park and practicing. This also has huge potential for events like Burning Man. I am visiting a children's school in Asia this year, and I will absolutely be bringing this with me.

Breakfast Oreos
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Is anyone else reminded of the Ohmus from Nausicaa? :3
Posted Image
I wish I could afford one of these... So are they only making a limited number, and once they're gone, they're gone for good?

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Breakfast Oreos
22 Apr 2017, 10:23 PM
I wish I could afford one of these... So are they only making a limited number, and once they're gone, they're gone for good?
We don't really know. It's a possibility, but they said that depending on interest they may continue making them. From what I can tell they appear to be a strong seller (at least from preorders and the like) so hopefully we'll continue seeing them in the future.

Breakfast Oreos
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
Vendace
23 Apr 2017, 01:28 AM
Breakfast Oreos
We don't really know. It's a possibility, but they said that depending on interest they may continue making them. From what I can tell they appear to be a strong seller (at least from preorders and the like) so hopefully we'll continue seeing them in the future.
I hope so too. It's not something I can get now but I would definitely want one down the road when the financial situation is better. :)

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Durian Songbird just fired another batch of SOLs. I saw the picture posted on Songbird's FB page. :)

He also made a batch of some weird looking double hexagonal shaped harmony ocarinas. I don't know what they are called but they have a nice sound

https://www.facebook.com/songbirdocarina/videos/10158567658885704/

Spoiler: click to toggle
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Songbird_Ocarinas.jpg (105.42 KB)
Edited by pandorado100, 23 Apr 2017, 04:45 AM.

cuallito
Beginner
Yeah, definitely looks out of the ordinary.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Breakfast Oreos
Is anyone else reminded of the Ohmus from Nausicaa? :3
Posted Image
I didn't even think of that, but they kind of do! I wonder if the new ones that were made recently have any changes? I have found with mine that the battery doesn't last as long as it was said to, but it could be because I have the one that Mr. Songbird was playing.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · America Continent Ocarinas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ