Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Problems with ocarina; Problems in ocarina mouthpart/air-way making.
Topic Started: 23 Feb 2017, 06:08 PM (609 Views)
Steamboy
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
I'm having problems with my homemade ocarina, for some reason it doesn't sounds correctly.

A short description of ocarina and problem:

- It is a typical one-chamber transversal ocarina, it doesn't has holes yet. :fairyoc:

- It is made of self-drying clay, currently it is dryed.

- The ocarina sounds, but very low and only if I breath little air in specific amounts. More air and it overblows, less air and it doesn't sound.

- I have been doing tests with the ocarina. I have realized that if I completely cover the ocarina with my hands, it sounds better and can reach more power before overblow.

Question:

- Has the wall thickness importance for the correct working of ocarina? In such case, would improve the ocarina if I increase the thickness of this?

Thanks in advanced.
Edited by Steamboy, 25 Feb 2017, 10:00 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Chris Heuer of Sixth Street Ocarina has a series of very helpful videos that show you the basics of ocarina making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_hM6j2P27U

Steamboy
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist
pandorado100
23 Feb 2017, 06:13 PM
Chris Heuer of Sixth Street Ocarina has a series of very helpful videos that show you the basics of ocarina making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_hM6j2P27U

Thanks for the recommendation, however I already have my ocarina finished (almost), at least the shape and the mouthpiece are well made.
After doing several tests I thought that maybe the cause of the malfunction is not of the mouthpiece, but of the body itself.

My ocarina has very thin walls, less than half a centimeter in medium zones.
Could this have something to do with the "soundlessness" of my ocarina?

I edited totally the post (even the title) for avoid be spamming, and express better the problem.
Edited by Steamboy, 25 Feb 2017, 10:05 PM.

OberonOcarinas
Member Avatar
~•Ocarina maker•~

No sir, the thinness is not what's responsible for a lack of sound. There are Ocarinas with walls around 4mm thin, it's about the proportion of that thinness and the output of the windway. How high is your windways exit? It should be no taller than 1.5mm if an Alto C and above. The distance from the windway exit to the labium edge should also be proportionate to the chambers volume. It will take a lot of practice to determine where your proportions will work.

Unfortunately Ocarinas are incredibly variable. An alto c can have a small or larger chamber, subsequently be quiet or loud and anything in between. Your breath curve is also variable and highly dependent on the voicing length.

Voicing length also affects stability of the high end of the scale and response time of note attack. A square or rectangular voicing will restrict your layout to a maximum of 10 or 11 holes and the high F will be thin, generally, in an Alto c application.

Anyway, I digress. I don't know your chamber size and knowing probably wouldn't really help either. But as a general rule, try a windway of 1.2mm high, 8~9mm wide and a voicing approx 9-10mm long. You should be able to get some sound if the chamber isn't too big. Like bass big. Make certain that when you look down the windway from the mouthpiece entrance that you can see the labium edge and that half is shaded by the darkness of the inside of the chamber and half is light from the outside of the ocarina. These are just general concepts and all will vary based on the maker and preferences
Alignment of the windways trajectory with the cross section of the clay walls is critical and is most responsible for tonal production
Edited by OberonOcarinas, 26 Feb 2017, 12:56 AM.

MatheusMota
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 2
So, if the one of the defining features of the sound production capabilities of the ocarina is the proportion between the open area of the voincing's window and the volume of the chamber body, has anyone found out what is that relationship? Is there a way of calculating it? And how this relationship affect the fundamental pitch of the instrument?

Wish y'all my best regards,
Matheus Mota.
Edited by MatheusMota, 1 Dec 2017, 11:56 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina Making · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ