Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ocarinas with more back pressure?
Topic Started: 14 Feb 2017, 05:53 AM (120 Views)
WinterdrivE
Inline Ocarinist x 3
I was wondering if anyone knew of or could recommend ocarinas with more back pressure. Since I come from a musical background of mostly clarinet playing, I find instruments with some back pressure to be more comfortable.

I briefly got to play a friend's plastic Focalink a while back and I recall the greater back pressure compared to my STL plastic (my only ocarina at the time) to be a lot more comfortable for me. I'm not necessarily looking for ocarinas that require a greater volume of air, just ones that have more back pressure/that don't blow as freely.

I've played an STL plastic, STL plastic triple, STL standard AC, STL standard SF, STL standard SC, STL purple clay mini, STL LoZ replica, STL clay mini, Focalink plastic, and STL necklace. I find the amount of back pressure from the Focalink plastic and the purple clay mini to be the most comfortable of the ones I've played, and I find the STL plastic to be too loose/free blowing for my taste. The others are all ok, but I'd like to hear about any other options that have a good amount of back pressure.

Right now I'm mostly asking out of curiosity and just to keep in mind for future purchases, so price, key, and type of ocarina are all open game. I'm open to as many suggestions as possible. Thanks!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

The latest ocarina I received from Spirit Wind Ocarina has a very good amount of back pressure. More than any other ocarina I've played. I like it a lot. Definitely check out his site. And you can also discuss with him what customizations you want too.
Edited by Mark Chan, 14 Feb 2017, 04:12 PM.

WindSong
Member Avatar

This might not be what you're looking for but I've had a couple of Tenrai pendants. Each of them have had the most back pressure of any of the ocarinas I've owned. I haven't tried their transverse ocarinas, though.

WinterdrivE
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Mark Chan
14 Feb 2017, 04:11 PM
The latest ocarina I received from Spirit Wind Ocarina has a very good amount of back pressure. More than any other ocarina I've played. I like it a lot. Definitely check out his site. And you can also discuss with him what customizations you want too.

Oh, I totally forgot about Spirit Wind. And he's in NC, so all the better! Thanks for the suggestion.

WindSong
14 Feb 2017, 05:03 PM
This might not be what you're looking for but I've had a couple of Tenrai pendants. Each of them have had the most back pressure of any of the ocarinas I've owned. I haven't tried their transverse ocarinas, though.

I am preferential to transverse ocarinas, but I'd still like to find a pendant I really like. Plus pendants are cheaper, and cheaper is always nice. XD So your suggestion is more than appreciated!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ