Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Trouble with Hind jr pendant or just me?
Topic Started: 1 Feb 2017, 12:13 AM (298 Views)
Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
So I recently acquired a Hind jr pendant but I am having problems with the high C and D and half the time the B doesn't want to play either. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but when I play a scale the C plays flat and the D plays Db, and barely before it starts cutting off. It doesn't really squeak it just doesn't play the note. You can hear the air but the note just doesn't come out. I also noticed when playing that I have to use significantly more breath to play the low E in tune compared to the D or F. When I try playing a tune or something I can't even hit the high C when coming from a lower note. It plays a B or it plays nothing and I don't think I'm breathing too hard or playing too fast. I actually practiced just going from a lower note to the high C, and it just doesn't.
I know Hind generally makes great ocarinas and I have seen videos of the jr pendant sounding really good throughout the entire scale. I have never played on a wood ocarina before so I don't know if maybe I am just doing something wrong?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

gytech
Member Avatar
The opinionated quiet guy.

Breath pressure is a major thing while playing an Ocarina. If you blow too hard or too soft while playing, it can cause the notes to become sharp or flat.

With Hind Ocarinas, there is little to no breath increase while going up the scale, so it could very well be that you're blowing too hard into the Ocarina. Try playing it at the same breath level as you go up the scale and see if it works. If not, I'm sure Mr. Hind would replace your Ocarina or give you a refund.

I hope this helps!

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Since I made the post I have spent some time in front of a tuner playing each note increasing and decreasing and keeping the breath. The low C and D do just fine, E requires significantly more breath than D to play but is otherwise fine, F takes a hair less breath than E and does fine, G and A are fine.
Sometimes B, C and D don't play at all no matter how hard or soft the air is (if B won't play, the others won't play). Otherwise, B is usually fine. C is always playing on the flat side but is still a C if I breath hard enough. Otherwise it plays B perfectly. D plays a Db/C#. A C if the breath is softer (at that point there is almost no air) and nothing if any stronger.
I would think that it is the temperature but the ocarina hasn't been anywhere cold and I would think it would get better with play?
Thank you for your input. I wanted to get some opinions and suggestions to try before bothering Mr Hind with a problem that might not even be a problem.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Check for condensation as well. Over time condensation from breath builds up in the windway and the ocarina loses clarity in the notes. Just suck in the condensation sharply or blow it out, whichever you prefer. (Cover the labium if youre gonna blow it out) and try again.

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
The notes sound nice and clear. My problems start from the moment I pick up the ocarina. It doesn't gradually happen. One minute it may play the note and the next it may not. Or it might not play the note and the next it is fine. I tried checking for condensation too just to rule it out and came up with nothing.

Greylag
Beginner
Is it maybe temperature changes where you live?

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I have the same kind of problem with my double inline. Sometimes it works great, other times it stops making sound for higher notes after a few minutes. Temperature can make a difference especially if it's too cold, but I don't know what else would help.

Kae
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
It has been somewhat nice where I am and the problems still happen randomly. It might still just be the temperature or me but I tried practicing and have made no improvements. I have been having a problem with the low C and D lately as well. It sounds nice when it works but at this point I have resigned myself to not being able to play it when I want. xP
Thank you for all your comments.

pandorado100
Member Avatar
Premium Poster
Humidity may be the culprit. I have a few wooden ocarinas that give me problems whenever I play them when it's damp or rainy outside.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ