Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Around the World Ocarina Reboot.
Topic Started: 28 Dec 2016, 12:33 AM (2,279 Views)
Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

So the Around The World Ocarina thread just popped up on the Front Page again and I feel partly responsible for it's sudden end because, well, it was with me for over 6 months.

I don't blame Roger for asking to send the ocarina back to him, but at the same time I do feel bad for the people who signed up but never got to participate. Plus there was supposed to be some sort of video to go along with it but that never ended up happening either.
I was in a bad place when things got going the first time around but everything is fantastic nowadays. I'm getting back into making music with ocarinas and I'd love to see that spirit of community that we all once had before.

But anyway, here's how it'll work!

Same deal as before. STL DIY Ocarina that will get passed from member to member and each member will sign their names on it, record something with it, slap said video recording onto the provided USB and send it on to the next person. Yes, it took long the first time around and yes, it may get lost in transit and yes, it might get smashed in the mail. That's ok. Everyone had fun doing it and there was a sense of community going on when it was in circulation. So let's give it a go again! Or atleast try.

For the next 2 months. That is until Feb 29th, I will be editing this post to continually add members to a list.
IF there is sufficient interest. Let's say a minimum of 15 people, then I'll send the ocarina out to the first person. I'll decide who to send it to once there's a confirmed list based on geographical factors and shipping costs and what not.

I only ask for 2 things to be done should this ocarina be on its way.

1. For the love of God don't sign your names all massive and stuff. I saw the state of the last one. There was barely enough space for anyone left and it hadn't gone a whole bunch around the world yet :P
2. Take care of it as if it were your own ocarina. When sending it out, don't get lazy, package it well.
3. If it comes to you broken in the mail try and fix it with the ol' epoxy method.

That's about it!

Let's see if there's enough interest here to get started. Leave your location and whether you'd like to participate or not in your posts below!

Current List

Edit - 30/03/17 - Alright guys! The list has been updated to reflect all the sign ups. jordan.1210 and Krakensqueeze, I haven't put your names there because you didn't mention where you're from. Let me know!
First up, let me say the ocarina has been ordered and I'm waiting on its delivery now. So it's safe to say this thing is under way.

All those who are not coming to Budrio, could you please confirm you're still participating.
Now, it'll be a bit of a time crunch because ideally what I'd like to happen is for us in Budrio to ship it out to France to either Devdadou or Ocypode and then they ship it out to Comrade_derpsky who will hopefully still be in Germany. He can then take it to US and let the ocarina continue its journey there.
This is plan A and hopefully it can work out.

However, if this doesn't work out, that's ok.
It will still go to France first and since there isn't anyone else in Europe it can then be sent out to Canada and then US. The reason its going to Canada first is quite simply because OkamiFlautist registered her name up first.
From there, we can have it sent to Australia and then back to me in Dubai to complete its trip. Whatever video and audio samples I get from people, I'll eventually make a video out of it, assuming the USB makes it back to me in 1 piece xD

In case the ocarina breaks during transit, we'll have to do one of two things.
1. Try and repair it with the ol' epoxy method.
2. Call it quits if the damage is too severe.

Right, so that's about it! jordan and kraken let me know where you're from so I can update the list! And the ocarina doesn't start it's journey till April 25th so we can still get sign ups till then!
Edited by Achint, 4 Apr 2017, 04:10 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

OkamiFlautist
Member Avatar
Flautist & Ocarinist

Sign me up! 💜 British Columbia, Canada
Edited by OkamiFlautist, 28 Dec 2016, 01:54 AM.

bigray
Transverse Ocarinist
I'm in! Sydney Australia

Zero Tolerance
Member Avatar
Tamer of beasts, Anything on Ocarina-ist and TON Secret Santa Organizer!
Sturgis Saskatchewan!

Sign me up. As a professional mail packer, I shall take pride in reboxing such a treasure!! :D

Nafaei
Member Avatar
A figment of your imagination...
This sounds so fun! Count me in :)

I live in Ohio, USA, but I'll be studying abroad in St. Petersburg, Russia from February to May in 2017, so that might make things complicated.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Good stuff! Hopefully we'll get some more interest and traction soon enough.

Also, I will most likely be going to Budrio this year for the festival, so instead of mailing it I might just get people's signatures there and pass it on to whoever wants to ship it off next and it's journey can then begin in Europe.

Gabbb
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
I'd like to join in! Also, I'm from Italy, so we might actually do that Budrio thing.. Seeya there!

Devdadou
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Sign me up ^^ I'm from La Réunion Island (FRANCE)

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

I'll be in Budrio, so we can just do the video there, lol.

Dawani
Inline Ocarinist
I would like to join too! I live in Augsburg, Germany and I will be in Budrio too :D

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I would love to join in! I was sad I wasn't around to join in previously. I'm currently living in VA, United States, but I SHOULD be moving back to Tasmania, Australia in March. I'll be there from then on out.
Can't make it to Budrio, but one year I would like to.
Edited by Vendace, 28 Dec 2016, 03:59 PM.

Comrade_Derpsky
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
I would be interested in participating. There is one potential complication however. I currently live in Würzburg, Germany, but will be moving back to Florida in September when I finish my Master's degree. This could possibly present an issue depending on when my turn comes around.

If I get ahold of it within, say, about a month before I move, I would be willing to take it with me to the US and send it to the next person on the list in North America from there. I assume we aren't trying to run a strict schedule here?

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Nothing too strict, but Im hoping everyone keeps it for a week or less. Hopefully we keep the sign ups going!

Ocypode
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
I am from France (for the time being, could be elsewhere in Europe by the time the project starts), I could be interested, the problem is I am not sure I want to be in a video :) perhaps if the video only showed some landscape, it would be fine :)

Anyway, if that project was to work that could be interesting to be part of it!

Also, to avoid the incident of last time, perhaps each participant should keep a backup of all video that will come on the usb stick, so if the worst happens, the last person to have had the ocarina their will be several copies of each video as a backup, especially the first ones.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

You're more than welcome to not have your face in the video! Just play something on the ocarina and show us the landscape as you mentioned and it's all good!

Comrade_Derpsky
Member Avatar
Pendant Ocarinist x 4
There is also the option of recording a sound file instead of a video.

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Sounds interesting! I don't know if I can participate since I don't really know how sending out mail from my college works just yet. If I figure it out, I'll let you guys know!

Othrelo
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 3
Count me in!... Mississippi, USA

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Alright so that's 10 people around the world and a few more that I'll meet in Budrio! If I can get atleast 5 more people interested, I'll get the ocarina and it can officially start in April in Budrio.

Krakensqueeze
Beginner
Sounds aweome! I'm in for sure :)

globetrekker
Beginner
I suppose the global trip won't complete without arriving... Asia! Hello from Hong Kong, I'm down ; )

I'm living in HK now but will go on trips from time to time so please keep me posted on the schedule ! :P
Edited by globetrekker, 23 Jan 2017, 04:44 PM.

EriChanHime
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 3
Hi! Erin from Central Texas, USA. I would like to participate, as long as I'm not first. I'm still practicing and getting better. :) But, once it makes it to the USA, I'd love to be included.

Gemstone
Member Avatar
more practicing would be nice
If the ocarina makes it to Europe and I could send it to someone else in Europe I could participate, too. I'm from Switzerland. Then I got a practice goal :grin:
I'm planning to go to Budrio too, so maybe I'll see you there :)
Edit: I forgot to tell that I'd like not to be in a video, too. A sound file is fine, I hope I can get around to making acceptable recordings until then, My mic is quite bad :c
Edited by Gemstone, 23 Jan 2017, 09:38 PM.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Don't worry about your mic quality guys. This is just for fun and I can always edit the audio and clean it up, not an issue. Don't let recording factors be a deterrent to having fun :)

Gemstone
Member Avatar
Yay :)
I don't want to "burden" you with having to clean up my recordings, though. But it's nice of you to do it if you really want to :)
Two little questions, are we supposed to say something on the recording? And what file type would be best for the audio file? I haven't been around at the first around the world try so I don't know, just wanted to ask :)
Now comes the question what I can or will play :D
Edited by Gemstone, 23 Jan 2017, 11:06 PM.

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Do we have any update as to the progress of this? It'd be pretty cool to officially start it up again.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I didn't know about this. What a unique idea! I wouldn't mind being involved. I'm from Halifax, Canada, but I'm a student with little money, and even less time!

CanadianLights
Member Avatar
Some band kid playing ocarina.
I'd be pretty willing to join. Lots of people from Canada, and so am I. I'm from Barrie, Ontario, so people seem to be not too far from me.

Devdadou
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Still in for the around the world trip^^ <ill you make a file to have all postal adresses of every one?

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Yes, at the beginning of April, I'll start PM'ing everyone to hand me their addresses. Once the addresses are confirmed, I'll confirm them on the list!

Devdadou
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Ok cool ^^

Nafaei
Member Avatar
A figment of your imagination...
Depending on where I am on the list, I'll either be in Russia or the US... I will be in Russia until the end of May, and in Ohio for the rest of the swap.

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
Achint
7 Feb 2017, 07:03 PM
Yes, at the beginning of April, I'll start PM'ing everyone to hand me their addresses. Once the addresses are confirmed, I'll confirm them on the list!
oops, missed the sentence where you stated the start of it. I'm excited for this to start again.

Gemstone
Member Avatar
I visited this thread again to tell that I'm definitely going to Budrio, if nothing grave comes into the way, in case anyone would hand me the ocarina there, or if I am to hand it someone. Just read now that you'll write the PM's in the beginning of April. I'm looking forward to it, and to the festival :)

Mark Chan
Member Avatar

See you in Budrio! :)

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Yay! If any more people are interested, there's about 3 weeks to go before I make the final list of people. I'm sure we can keep some wiggle room for people who see this at a later date if they wanna join in eventually.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Bump! In a months time the ocarina will be flying with me to Budrio and it'll be passed on there to whoever! If any more people are interested in signing up put your names in! I'll make a final list closer to April 27th!

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Bump! Made an edit to the first post.

NicklasOcarina
Member Avatar
Beginner
Achint
23 Mar 2017, 11:26 AM
If any more people are interested in signing up put your names in! I'll make a final list closer to April 27th!
I'm in! I currently reside in Finland. I need to think of some Finnish tunes to play :grin:

EriChanHime
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 3
I still want to participate (Central Texas, USA). :) Glad to see things are moving forward! I would love to go to the festival, but that's not going to happen. Hope it's amazing!

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I have made up my mind that I want to. I don't know how many people saw, but there was a map of TON members posted yesterday that might be useful in this. Not everyone is on it, but I added my location yesterday.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zpWseoSVWlLc.kA0Uir798_AQ

Vendace
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist
I'm actually in route to Tasmania today, so I'm for sure good to join :) I'm excited to be able to join in this time.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Added Nicklas and Cheesewizz :)

Gemstone
Member Avatar
Thank you very much Achint, for organising and preparing this! I'm excited, too. And I'd like to post two questions I've got left:
First, if we're going to pass on the ocarina while we are in Budrio, is then everyone of us going to record something and how? Is someone going to carry a microphone around? C: :D
Second, how are we going to recognise each other? Maybe a stupid question. I for myself have actually never stayed in Italy before, so I don't know anything about the place and I do know only few of the faces here on TON.
Sorry if this is thought too far ahed, I personally like to have things sorted out when I go somewhere :)
Edited by Gemstone, 30 Mar 2017, 07:20 PM.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

I'm sure there will be a point where we will all find each other haha.

I look like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wq0WJoJmlw So you can come find me, introduce yourself and we can introduce you to everyone else! Easy.

I'll have my handheld recorder with me so no issues there. We'll find a way to record video on our phones or something.
Edited by Achint, 30 Mar 2017, 08:23 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Ocarina Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ