Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic.
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
in need of a QUIET ocarina; saving my roomates ears
Topic Started: 30 Oct 2016, 01:23 AM (948 Views)
vints22
Pendant Ocarinist
Hello! i have been shopping for a few days, reading forums, but i am newb in ocarinas and music in general...
i have a 6 holes in alto G ( i think), it is very loud and annoying for my roomates! i was thinking of buying The muse :muse: because its softer on the ears (+i really like the sound) but i am not sure because it is 10 holes in F or E flat. I am gona play alone ( mostly ) so i dont need a specific key, but idk if i am gona learn well with a book for 12 holes AC.

Maybe worth saying i am interested in playing video game music like zelda and the elder scrolls.

What should i do? do you think i will be fine with The muse or do you know a soft (more quiet) 12holes AC? after all that internet reserch i bought hal leonard ocarina method and if nobody change my mind im going for facalink plastic 12 holes AC and the muse (eenie meenie mo F or E flat)

any opinion or help will be appreciated :)

(sorry for broken english, im french canadian)
Edited by vints22, 30 Oct 2016, 02:09 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 5
You can use some blue painters tape to cover about 1/2 of the fipple and it will make your ocarina much quieter, but a slight bit flat.

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Giorgio Cataldi can probably make you a fairly quiet alto G seaplane ocarina (I have a seaplane double alto G from him, with first chamber identical to a 10 hole single chamber, and it's probably the quietest ocarina on that chamber I have found - and I looked high and low and spent lots of money trying to find quiet). From my experience, that's your best bet.

Or milt has a new ocarina mute, but I don't know much about it.

vints22
Pendant Ocarinist
that you, i will try the tape.
i contacted Giorgio tank you. i checked milt video, do you know where to buy that? cant find it on ebay

tytoalba
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2

I can realize any ocarina in a quiet version. The tone remains clear and clean without any airiness, from first to last note. I answered in PM
An example of quiet ocarina Alto C. There is a version of Sweet Potato mk IX
Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by tytoalba, 31 Oct 2016, 12:03 AM.

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Giorgio, you're one of the best makers out there. I love the 10 hole bulbo ocarina. Keep up the great work.

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 5
I think that the milt gadget is still pre production

tytoalba
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2

In this video of last April, I did a test with the measurement of breath effort of Quiet SP IX
Remember that any mouth applied to the Mouthpiece, tends to increase slightly the effort of breath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaKNamRklf4
Edited by tytoalba, 31 Oct 2016, 10:18 AM.

acox
Andy Cox
tytoalba
30 Oct 2016, 04:59 PM
I can realize any ocarina in a quiet version. The tone remains clear and clean without any airiness, from first to last note. I answered in PM
An example of quiet ocarina Alto C. There is a version of Sweet Potato mk IX
Spoiler: click to toggle
absolutely beautiful work Giorgio.

Mikael
Member Avatar

As far as I recall from when I was active here, Charlie Hind's ocarinas were said to be of a more quiet nature.
I don't have any personal experience with them though, so take that as you will.

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Mikael
29 Nov 2016, 03:19 PM
As far as I recall from when I was active here, Charlie Hind's ocarinas were said to be of a more quiet nature.
I don't have any personal experience with them though, so take that as you will.
I have a Hind inline and it is really quiet. I haven't played any of his transverse style, but I do know they are good. I do know that the 12 hole ocarinas Songbird calls "Allegro Alto C" are quieter than most of my other altos, close to the same as my Focalink plastic one. The thing that is different with this ocarina is that most of the notes can be played best with similar levels of breath exception being high C-F needing more. Also note that if you use sub-holes, both Allegro and Sonaro have both sub-holes used by the right hand instead of one on each side like the plastic ones do.

Gemstone
Member Avatar
more practicing would be nice
Hi everyone,

I hope everyone of you has or had a nice and calm Christmas. I've been lurking around in the forum for a while since I have had not much time but now it's a bit better.
The same issue the topic starter named came up for me recently, and I would have opened a new thread but then I remembered this one. So I hope it's okay when I'm posting here as my questions are quite closely related.

I'm not sure if the ocarinas you have already mentioned are AC 12 hole ocarinas? The two ocarinas I have are both 12 holes (STL Aria Ocarina and Focalink Plastic AC) and I like them both, I'm getting along quite well with the number of holes, so I don't really want to change that. But I think both of them are quite loud; too loud for my ears when I'm playing for a while, too loud for the rooms of our house and maybe even for the neighbours (I didn't get any complaints yet, but they could start). Also I'd like to get a Bass or Tenor or another Alto, as long as it is not so loud, and I really like a warm, mellow and deep tone. If you could recommend me some other 12 hole ocarinas which are quiet, how could I get them? I'm living in Switzerland in the middle of Europe, so I am not sure about what ocarina makers are hipping to which places.

I'm seriously thinking about starting to save up money for a Hind Sweet Potato Ocarina, an Alto or a Bass; I think they are worth it. Do you know more about how quiet they are? Do you know something about the breath requirements of quiet ocarinas, I imagine they need less strong breathing? (I'm sorry if this is a stupid question :O )

Best regards
Carina

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Heyo Carina!

Hind Altos are actually not that soft. They're comparable in volume to Focalinks Vivo model. The Tenor F is a bit softer, but can still get a little loud on the highest notes.

First up, as an audio engineer I would ask you to protect your ears! We have had a member in the past who quit playing ocarinas for the most part because he suffered from tinnitus and the sound of the ocarina started hurting his ears.
I also suffer from tinnitus (unrelated to ocarina playing) in my left ear and without proper ear protection certain notes on the higher pitched ocarinas do cause a nasty tingling sensation.

As for a quiet ocarina, definitely go in for a bass ocarina. If you can afford the Hind, that would be my recommendation but that's because I'm biased. The breath requirements on a Hind are not for everyone. To give you an idea of how little breath a Hind takes; imagine you're blowing on to hot food to cool it down. It's not even enough to blow out a candle.
Possibly look into a Noble Bass or a Takashi bass.

Alternately, get in touch with Giorgio Cataldi of Tytoalba ocarinas. He makes custom ocarinas (that are fantastic) and can cater them to your specification, both in terms of pitch and volume. He's made a double Alto G for me in the past and it's one of my all time favourite ocarinas now.

Gemstone
Member Avatar
Hi Achint,

Thank you for your advice and for sharing your experience.
As for ear protection, I've got some low priced ear plugs, maybe I should think of getting others. I don't like the feeling of them in my ears (they are made of wax covered with some kind of fluffy wool or so), and as long as I don't get intonation better on my ocarinas, apart from the fact that I'd also like to get another one, I'd like to hear myself while playing as clearly as possible. I'm going to try playing with the ear plugs I've got.

I have no experience with bass ocarinas; I listened to the sound sample on Mr Hind's web page and I love the sound of the Hind Bass ocarina. And I also like the looks of it. Do you know if they are lightweight?
Right now I could afford it, but as I never know how much money I need exactly, I want to save up money for it. I imagine it would be okay for me if it takes (very) little breath.
Could you please tell me where I could look into the Noble or Takashi ocarinas, so that I can see what they look and sound like, how heavy they are, and where I could get them?
Again, thank you very much for your advice, I greatly appreciate it. :)
Edited by Gemstone, 27 Dec 2016, 11:00 PM.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

No problem!

Hind ocarinas are very light, so yea, I doubt you'd have a problem holding on to them. I should add that Hinds are only 11 holes, not 12. The 12th hole is just a split hole for the pinky finger so you can easily play the C# note.

You can find Takashi ocarinas here: http://www.pankuolong.url.tw/ Click on "To order" then "ocarina" to see what ocarinas he has and the prices. Then you email him on the email given on the front page and arrange payment and all that.

Aaaand youn can find Noble Basses here https://www.nobleocarina.net/Ncv5/m/item/list.html?sub_id_key=A55

I would personally go in for either the Hind or Takashi. I prefer the slightly purer tone of the Takashi. If you like something a little more textured, go for the Noble. Another reason to go for Takashi might be the finger holes on the Noble Bass. David explains it well here: https://youtu.be/-w7_bq4LFTs?t=263

Gemstone
Member Avatar
Thanks again! I'm going to look at the video and the links tomorrow or another time this week.
I'm just slightly confused because of the Hind ocarinas being 11 holes, as you mentioned. Could I play one the same way I play my 12 holes or is there a difference (apart from the C# fingering)?

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

You can play them just the same as your 12 hole for the most part. Basically that second sub-hole that you have on your other ocarinas doesn't exist on a Hind. So you can go down to the low B, but not the low A.

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
I second Tytoalba ;-)

Gemstone
Member Avatar
Hey Daniel, can you please tell me why you prefer the Tytoalba? I've heard they are great ocarinas and I do not doubt it at all, I'm just curious about your preference and opinion :) If this is getting too much off-topic, you can also PM me if you like :)
Edit: I just forgot to mention that I have to admit right now I think I'd prefer the wooden ocarina. I like the material for an instrument, I love its looks and think it's great that it is lightweight. Maybe the looks bias me, because I never played one, but I can't tell. C:
Edited by Gemstone, 29 Dec 2016, 12:19 PM.

Wulfthari
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
Gemstone
27 Dec 2016, 11:08 PM
Thanks again! I'm going to look at the video and the links tomorrow or another time this week.
I'm just slightly confused because of the Hind ocarinas being 11 holes, as you mentioned. Could I play one the same way I play my 12 holes or is there a difference (apart from the C# fingering)?
Of the ocarinas I have tried the quietest are the 1000 leaves and the Aketa Sonetto S-5C.

The S-5C was designed to be a low breath partner of the standard T5C....they both have 12 holes.

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Gemstone
29 Dec 2016, 12:16 PM
Hey Daniel, can you please tell me why you prefer the Tytoalba?
Giorgio can make an ocarina to your desired characteristics, including quiet. I got a fair number of ocarinas trying to get something quiet that I liked. There's a limit to how quiet you can (or would really want) to go. But I think Giorgio will be your best chance of success.

Achint
Member Avatar
Fat Mouse >^_^<

Gemstone
29 Dec 2016, 12:16 PM
Hey Daniel, can you please tell me why you prefer the Tytoalba? I've heard they are great ocarinas and I do not doubt it at all, I'm just curious about your preference and opinion :) If this is getting too much off-topic, you can also PM me if you like :)
Edit: I just forgot to mention that I have to admit right now I think I'd prefer the wooden ocarina. I like the material for an instrument, I love its looks and think it's great that it is lightweight. Maybe the looks bias me, because I never played one, but I can't tell. C:
If you wanna get an idea for how the Hind bass will sound check out this link.

https://m.soundcloud.com/mousechint/hind-tenor-f-edited

Imagine something a little deeper but with a similar sort of chiff to the notes. Definitely one of my favourites along with Tytoalba.

CKeene
Member Avatar
Lion Tamer
I have the perfect thing. See my pm.

Qwervy
Member Avatar
Beginner
Try looking for a soft blow ocarina. soft blow ocarinas dont require you to blow hard when you hit the high notes which makes them a bit quieter compared other ocarinas.

Gemstone
Member Avatar
Thank you all!

@Achint I checked it out, together with the sound samples on Mr Hind's web page. I love the tone :)
@ CKeene I answered your PM.

I listened to what I could find from Thousand leaves and Aketa and I still think they are loud. Or is it just me and my ears? (Maybe Im oversensitive, that could be) :grin:

tytoalba
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2

If you want I can make a AC ocarina "Superquiet" with very low breath requirement. It also has a hole of very small size sound.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210152471441446&set=pcb.10210152481081687&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210152470441421&set=pcb.10210152481081687&type=3&theater
The third down is a Superquiet

Gemstone
Member Avatar
Dear Mr Cataldi,
Have you got a sound sample of a super quiet ocarina or do you know someone who owns one so that I could compare the sound? I do not mean to cause you too much expense and I hope I am not too demanding related to the work you've got to do.

To all, do you think the Hind bass (or the tytoalba ocarina) would be appropriate for a beginner like me? It's not that I do no trsut what you said CKeene, I'd like to learn about as much opinions and experiences as possible. :)

Harp Player
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 5
Gemstone
30 Dec 2016, 11:18 PM
Dear Mr Cataldi,
Have you got a sound sample of a super quiet ocarina or do you know someone who owns one so that I could compare the sound? I do not mean to cause you too much expense and I hope I am not too demanding related to the work you've got to do.

To all, do you think the Hind bass (or the tytoalba ocarina) would be appropriate for a beginner like me? It's not that I do no trsut what you said CKeene, I'd like to learn about as much opinions and experiences as possible. :)
Have you tried the painters tape trick?

You put a piece of blue painters tape over about 1/2 of the fipple it will greatly reduce the sound levels while making the instrument only slightly flat.

Another trick is to put a straw in the windway although I can't promise that won't damage the windway on a ceramic ocarina, the only place I have heard that recommended was in the Mountains Ocarina website.

acox
Andy Cox
Georgio Cataldi can and will make a quiet ocarina. I have one. I make them even quieter, but i assumed that they are not desired because of posted characteristics of "good" ocarina on another forum.

And I have posted the well-known recorder technique can be applied to an ocarina--it flattened the ocarina a bit but it works that post had photos). Making a "blue tape" roof over the voicing also works. Having an ocarina made for quietness by making the voicing, thus fingerhole sizes is the best solution.

Wulfthari
Transverse Ocarinist x 5
Gemstone
30 Dec 2016, 10:25 AM
Thank you all!

@Achint I checked it out, together with the sound samples on Mr Hind's web page. I love the tone :)
@ CKeene I answered your PM.

I listened to what I could find from Thousand leaves and Aketa and I still think they are loud. Or is it just me and my ears? (Maybe Im oversensitive, that could be) :grin:
It's better to listen to ocarinas in real life, the 1000 leaves is recorded very well on youtube because the maker is an hell of an ocarinist (it came with his CD and the man is brilliant), but it's very quiet, it's my night time ocarina, and I don't use it much because of its quietness.

For Aketas, most of them are indeed loud, especially the T5C, the quiet model is the Sonetto, aka S5C, which is a C5 alto like the T5C but designed for women and people who needed a low breath (whisperer) ocarina, it's the one with the protruding holes:

Quote:

I have the Maximaal which is the top range S5C, it has a beautiful sound especially on the top notes, but it is so low breath that I filled the A tuning hole to increase a little the backpressure.

Here it's in action played by a Japanese girl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDnzd1tbuG4

My Webpage

My Webpage

As you can hear it has a very pure sound, while the high breath T5C has a textured sound, it's the most "Italian" oriental ocarina I heard along with the Ikarus.

In order to make it quiet they made it with a significantly smaller chamber (and smaller external dimensions) as well in comparison to the standard T5C, perhaps I should post a picture of the Maximaal and the Kazu model to appreciate the difference.

Edited by Wulfthari, 31 Dec 2016, 02:12 AM.

tytoalba
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2

I made a quick comparative test of one of the last Superquiet ocarinas and two ocarinas with loudness concert. One of them is the legendary Maparam, selected by Paolo Gavelli series: "Prestige Series". The other is one of my Sweet Potatoes IV. Unfortunately I have with me the instrument that measures the sound pressure: (I'm on vacation).
However just scroll my Youtube channel, to find numerous tests with quiet ocarinas, compared with oriental ocarinas. Among these there is also an AC Ogawa requiring a cut of the suffocating breath.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaKNamRklf4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79TZuo9i7Dk
In half an hour it will be published the last test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt10zh_iYZ8

PS
In the next step I will fulfill some Superquiet Alto C with the same windaway of Soprano C
Edited by tytoalba, 31 Dec 2016, 01:15 PM.

Bobbie
inline ocarinist
IMHO, for ocarinas, lower means quieter. Go with a tenor or a bass and you'll disturb neighbors much less than with an alto or soprano.

Gemstone
Member Avatar
Well I was so occupied that I forgot to tell you that I decided to go for a Hind bass ocarina! And I love it :)
It wakes the desire to add other bass/tenor instruments with greater range :D
Edited by Gemstone, 9 Feb 2017, 05:13 PM.

Greylag
Beginner
I'm looking for a quiet Oc too--something to play softly in the woods (it is a spiritual thing for me) and practice at home without bothering our neighbour.

So what I'm gathering is--Hind, OcarinaCaro, or the Muse by Songbird?

I love the look and sound of Hind, but how temperature/humidity sensitive are they? I live in Nova Scotia--summers can reach mid 30s (Celsius), sometimes feels like low 40s with humidity, and our winters are a mess--mild and rainy til late January, and then freezing, and hen snowy, and then wet until April.

Would a Hind survive this if I'm taking it around with with me, or am I better off looking at a ceramic like the muse?

Daniel
Member Avatar
Double Ocarinist x 2
Greylag
17 Feb 2017, 04:16 PM
So what I'm gathering is--Hind, OcarinaCaro, or the Muse by Songbird?

tytoalba (Giorgio Cataldi) is a bit of an expert at making ocarinas to your specifications, including quiet. i think you'll find your best success there.
Bobbie
9 Feb 2017, 04:23 AM
IMHO, for ocarinas, lower means quieter. Go with a tenor or a bass and you'll disturb neighbors much less than with an alto or soprano.
This may sometimes be the case, but lower doesn't always mean quieter. There are some powerful bass ocarinas, and quiet ACs.
Edited by Daniel, 17 Feb 2017, 05:10 PM.

CKeene
Member Avatar
Lion Tamer
Hi Greylag, I sent you a PM

jordan.1210
Member Avatar
Inline Ocarinist x 2
I don't know if this has been mentioned here but there's Mr. Mute, which reduces the sound of an oc using a device put onto the mouthpiece.

heike
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist
Milt's Mr Mute works very well on Hans Rotter's ocarinas!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: MrMute_onRotterOcarinas.jpg (179.83 KB)

Kitten Forest
Member Avatar
Transverse Ocarinist x 4
Greylag
17 Feb 2017, 04:16 PM
Would a Hind survive this if I'm taking it around with with me, or am I better off looking at a ceramic like the muse?

I find in the winter my Hind ocarina doesn't always get the high notes in the winter or in stormier weather. It's usually okay if I store it in its bag, but it's harder to get a good sound in winter.
If you plan to play in the cold (on days like last week), I have had the best luck with ceramic. Plastic is often quieter, but will start to have issues with condensation faster than ceramic. If I want something quiet I'll use an ocarina like what can be found at Songbird or Stein's website

This is just what I use, but I know there are many other great ocarinas, like the Muse, that I don't personally have experience with.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Question and Answer · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on Twitter Facebook | Read the FAQ