Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

- News Ticker

Donations - Please consider donating to The Ocarina Network to keep us afloat. More detail can be found in this topic. •
The Ocarina Network - Serving the ocarina community since April 27th 2008
Welcome to The Ocarina Network, a place for ocarina enthusiasts from all around the globe!

You're currently viewing The Ocarina Network as a guest.

If you join The Ocarina Network, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. On top of that we have a great number of music scores and backtracks for you to download.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Register at The Ocarina Network!

If you're already a member please log into your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
bulbous form, harken Giorgio and Robert
Topic Started: 23 Sep 2016, 06:33 PM (634 Views)
acox
Andy Cox
H(e)arken, Giorgio and Robert,

Giorgio this is in response to your last post about your bulbous design. As I wanted Robert to hopefully add to this discussion, I am starting a new thread.

Below is my 2015 design with trials of the bulbous design. As stated at that time of posting, my thoughts were to seek designs which might decrease the size of the right hand’s thumbhole, THUS a hopeful more consistent timbre of the last two notes. It may have worked, but I did not pursue it until now. Why? The aesthetics are not vary pleasing to me and I bought Robert’s book (optimum design would be a round vessel) and read his post on adding and internal tunnel for seemingly similar reasons I wanted. AND three weeks ago I made an ocarina from one of my egg-shape “xun’s” mold. Boom, this example was so successful that I’m going back to the bulbous design with the constriction about 10 mm lower than what my test shows and what Giorgio also did.

Robert would you agree that this “constriction” beginning after hole 10 and before hole three (on a 10 hole form) act as a “tunnel”?
Attached to this post:
Attachments: P1010812.jpg (90.95 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

acox
Andy Cox
Daniel
23 Sep 2016, 10:56 PM
Those look really nice.

Btw, i don't think Robert is on the forum much these days, so you might have to email him :) When I ordered my AD a while back he mentioned he doesn't really look at the forum.

attached is the "round" ocarina that is absolutely surprisingly consistent with every note
hanks Daniel, I could not find contact info.....oh well
Attached to this post:
Attachments: P1010813.jpg (81.44 KB)

acox
Andy Cox
thanks Giorgio. I stopped making this design because of its aesthetic and the benefits were not immediately recognized.

I roll slabs and use a slump mold to make the ocarinas. The slabs are 3/16" thick (4mm). The shale can't be rolled any thinner because of lack of plasticity. maybe some day I might invest and buy some plaster, but for the moment that would be too restrictive for "me".

have a great Saturday

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ocarina Making · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find us on TwitterFacebook | Read the FAQ